IUPAC nomenclature assistance request

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's attempt at a quiz involving IUPAC nomenclature. The student got all problems correct except for one, where they used "s-butyl" instead of "sec-butyl". The student is certain of their solution and has checked for spelling and punctuation errors. They are seeking hints on what they may be doing wrong. The other person suggests that the molecule may be a cyclodecane, so the student could try changing their solution to "4-sec-butyl-1,1-dimethylcyclodecane".
Saskatchewan
Homework Statement
My professor set us an online quiz in IUPAC nomenclature. I managed to get all of the problems correct, except for one. The graphic shows the molecule and my attempt at a solution.

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/8673/14ne9.gif [Broken]

The attempt at a solution
If you can't read what I typed in, it is:

"4-sec-butyl-1,1-dimethyldecane"

On my first attempt at this quiz, I tried using "s-butyl" instead of "sec-butyl" but I still missed it. My professor told us it wouldn't matter whether we used s-butyl or sec-butyl, but I decided to try both just to be sure. I have also double-checked my spelling and punctuation, but it all seems to be correct.

I'm certain that the group on the left is s-butyl, there are two methyl groups so it is dimethyl, and there are 10 carbon atoms in the ring structure. Plus, I think I have the numbering correct (I did have some trouble with that initially). Any hints on what I'm doing wrong would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the only thing I noticed first was that it's a cyclodecane... so maybe you can try 4-sec-butyl-1,1-dimethylcyclodecane.

It seems like you have a good understanding of IUPAC nomenclature and have correctly identified the substituents on the molecule. However, the issue may lie with the numbering of the carbon atoms in the ring structure. According to the IUPAC rules, the numbering should start from the side of the ring that is closest to the substituent. In this case, the side with the s-butyl group is closer, so the numbering should start from that side. This would give the molecule the name 5-sec-butyl-1,1-dimethyldecane. I would suggest double-checking the numbering and trying again with this approach. Good luck!

1. What is IUPAC nomenclature?

IUPAC nomenclature is a system of naming chemical compounds according to a set of rules established by the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC). It is used to ensure that every compound has a unique and unambiguous name.

2. Why is IUPAC nomenclature important?

IUPAC nomenclature is important because it allows scientists to communicate about chemical compounds in a standardized way. This helps to avoid confusion and ensures that everyone is referring to the same compound when discussing research or conducting experiments.

3. What is an "IUPAC nomenclature assistance request"?

An IUPAC nomenclature assistance request is a request for help with naming a chemical compound according to the IUPAC rules. It is often used when a compound does not fit neatly into one of the established naming categories or when there is confusion about which rules to apply.

4. Who can request IUPAC nomenclature assistance?

Anyone can request IUPAC nomenclature assistance, but it is typically requested by chemists, researchers, and students who are working with new or complex compounds. The IUPAC has a dedicated committee, the Interdivisional Committee on Terminology, Nomenclature and Symbols, that reviews and provides assistance with nomenclature requests.

5. How can I submit an IUPAC nomenclature assistance request?

IUPAC nomenclature assistance requests can be submitted through the IUPAC website or through a national or regional IUPAC representative. The request should include all relevant information about the compound, such as its molecular formula, structure, and any previous names or proposed names. It may also be helpful to include a description of any specific issues or questions that you have regarding the naming of the compound.