Weight on a rocket accelerating upward

In summary, a rocket with an acceleration of 20.0m/s^2 is launched, causing a 105.0kg astronaut to feel a weight of 2100N. Using the equation F=ma and the conversion 1kg=2.2lbs, the astronaut's weight can be calculated to be 471.9lbs. However, if the scale is calibrated on Earth's surface, the correct answer would be 104.6kg, as the astronaut would feel a weight of 1029N while on Earth and 2100N while accelerating.
Hisui

Homework Statement

"During the launch, a rocket is accelerated with 20.0m/s^2 upward. A 105.0kg astronaut is more concerned about his weight than about his safety and is standing on a scale. What is the scale reading in kg?"

Homework Equations

F=ma and also 4.45N=1lb

The Attempt at a Solution

So, first I solved F=ma with the information given to get 2100N, and since I don't think that N can convert to kg with an equation, I took from the front of the book that 1kg=2.20lbs where g=9.80m/s^2, so I thought that I could figure out what 1kg was with an acceleration of 20m/s^2, and I got that 4.5lbs would equal 1kg.

I then took my previous answer of 2100N and converted it to 471.9lbs and divided by 4.51lbs, hoping to get the correct kg with the acceleration given, but I got 104.6 which seems very wrong (first, because it's almost exactly the starting weight and second, because it should be higher, not lower than the starting weight). Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
If his scale was calibrated on the Earth's surface, so that 1kg =2.2lbs, using just F=ma would yield you the correct answer.
On Earth he feels a weight of mg (105*9.8) of 1029N
When accelerating he feels a weight of ma (105*20) of 2100N
Find the ratio and multiply by his mass.

Oh, yeah I guess I was over-thinking it. Thanks!

No problem

1. How does the weight of a rocket change as it accelerates upward?

The weight of a rocket does not change as it accelerates upward. Weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object, and this force is dependent on the mass of the object and the strength of the gravitational field. As the rocket moves away from the Earth's surface, the strength of the gravitational field decreases, but the mass of the rocket remains constant. Therefore, the weight of the rocket does not change.

2. Why does the weight of a rocket feel lighter as it accelerates upward?

The sensation of feeling lighter is due to the decrease in the force of gravity acting on the rocket. As the rocket moves away from the Earth's surface, the gravitational force decreases, making it feel as though the weight has decreased. However, the actual weight of the rocket remains the same.

3. Does the weight of a rocket affect its acceleration?

Yes, the weight of a rocket does affect its acceleration. According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a heavier rocket will require a greater force to accelerate it at the same rate as a lighter rocket.

4. Can the weight of a rocket be measured while it is accelerating upward?

Yes, the weight of a rocket can be measured while it is accelerating upward. This is because weight is a property of an object that can be measured at any time, regardless of its state of motion. However, the measured weight may be different from the actual weight due to the effects of acceleration on the measuring instrument.

5. How does the weight of a rocket affect its fuel consumption?

The weight of a rocket does not directly affect its fuel consumption. However, a heavier rocket will require more fuel to achieve the same acceleration as a lighter rocket. This is because the force needed to accelerate the rocket is proportional to its mass. Therefore, a heavier rocket will require more fuel to overcome its greater mass and achieve the same acceleration as a lighter rocket.