He Unreasonable Effectiveness of Pure Mathematics

In summary, Kentt says that mathematics and physics go well together because physics describes the universe and mathematics is inherent in the universe. He also says that the world cannot be self-contradictory, and hence there will be some underlying "logic" to which it adheres. He recommends Georg Riemann and his ideas of Differential Geometery.
k3N70n
Hi.

I have to write a paper (about 20-25 pages) and I'm likely going to choose the topic 'The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Pure Mathematics' as was suggested by one my prof's (of course, I'm familiar with Eugene Wigner's article). I was curious if anyone could point me towards more modern journal articles on similar topics? My paper has to be presented to a group of peers which will include mostly natural science students who are 4th & 3rd year students, thus, it has to be reasonably accessible to those less mathematically inclined.
Thank you kindly for any help.

-kentt
(I hate writing papers)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have a journal article, but I may lend my view on the matter at hand.

In my personal view, I find it quite obvious why Mathematics and physics go so well together. It is because Physics describes the Universe, and because the Universe as well as everything in it, follows mathematics, inherently. It can't not follow mathematics, no matter how it tries. Either, there is some nice pattern where a physicist finds a mathematical model to represent the pattern, or there is no pattern and we label it to be 'random', another mathematical concept, and then we study the probabilities of the random outcomes. Or, we can't do either, but only because the mathematical tools are our disposal are too weak, and some brilliant genius must make their own.

Hmm..I'd rather say that the world cannot be self-contradictory, and hence there will be some type of underlying "logic" to which it adheres.

On the assumption that any type of logic can give rise to its own mathematics, it follows that the world should be mathematizable in some shape.

That the "world logic" might be very different from our own immediately accessible logic(s) is, of course, a very real possibility..

as i see it this "world logic" doesn't make sense, if it's not accessible to our logic we can not talk about it, and thus it's just a nice term, a superficial one that no human at least can acsertain it validity or not.

loop quantum gravity said:
as i see it this "world logic" doesn't make sense, if it's not accessible to our logic we can not talk about it, and thus it's just a nice term, a superficial one that no human at least can acsertain it validity or not.
It doesn't mean much else than non-selfcontradictoriness.

I.e, either the world contradicts itself, or it doesn't. If it doesn't contradict itself, there is a "logic" of some sorts that underlies it.

Write the paper on Georg Riemann and his ideas of Differential Geometery. When he first discovered it as a pure area of mathematics it had little effect. 70 years later E'nstein found how to apply it.

Thanks Kummer. I had ran into that in my research but it definatly sounds like one of the more interesting applications of pure math.

What is "The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Pure Mathematics"?

"The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Pure Mathematics" is a famous essay written by physicist Eugene Wigner in 1960. It explores the surprising and mysterious ability of abstract mathematical concepts to accurately describe and predict real-world phenomena.

What is the main argument of "The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Pure Mathematics"?

The main argument of "The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Pure Mathematics" is that the success of mathematics in describing the physical world is unreasonable and cannot be fully explained by human reasoning or the laws of nature.

What examples are given in "The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Pure Mathematics" to support its argument?

Wigner gives several examples in his essay, including the use of complex numbers in quantum mechanics, the application of group theory in physics and chemistry, and the discovery of the planet Neptune based on mathematical calculations.

What are the implications of "The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Pure Mathematics"?

The essay raises important questions about the nature of reality and the relationship between mathematics and the physical world. It also calls for further exploration and understanding of the mysterious connection between abstract mathematics and the laws of nature.

What criticisms have been made against "The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Pure Mathematics"?

Some critics argue that Wigner's argument is based on a limited perspective and fails to consider the role of human ingenuity and creativity in the development of mathematical concepts. Others argue that the success of mathematics in describing the physical world is not unreasonable, but rather a testament to its fundamental role in science and our understanding of the universe.