Good Phys. Knowledge vs. Good Math Knowledge

• Thread starter razored
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Knowledge
In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of studying both Physics and Calculus, with the understanding that they are both crucial to each other's survival. It is suggested that in order to fully comprehend Physics, one must work through Calculus 1, 2, 3, Differential Equations, and Linear Algebra. The consensus is that Calculus is the key to understanding Physics and that being a good mathematician is necessary to be a good physicist. However, the reverse is not necessarily true, as one can be a great mathematician but a poor physicist. It is emphasized that a strong foundation in Calculus is essential for success in Physics.
razored
I will attempt to study rudimentary Physics and Calculus on my own over the summer; but my main concern is, what to focus more on, math or physics. What I am asking is, if i become study more and become "good" at Physics, would it also guarantee I would be "good" at Calculus? Or is it the other way around. I hope I'm saying this correctly... but I do know one cannot exist without the other; they are both crucial to survival of each.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, eventhough i do not know much about physics, i could say that in order to be able to fully understand physics you defenitely need to work through calculus 1,2,3, Differential Equations, and probbably also Linear Algebra. But defenitely Calculus I is the key to understanding physics, it is only my opinion thoug. To be a good physicist one needs to be a good mathematician first! While the vice-versa is not nessesary! you can be a great mathematician but a horrible physicist!

If you don't know your calculus forward and backward, you won't do well in physics. DiffEq, Linear Algebra, and maybe some computer programming would also serve well.

1. What is the difference between good physics knowledge and good math knowledge?

Good physics knowledge refers to a deep understanding of the fundamental principles and concepts in physics, while good math knowledge refers to a strong grasp of mathematical techniques and methods used in physics. Essentially, good physics knowledge relies on a strong foundation of good math knowledge.

2. How do good physics knowledge and good math knowledge complement each other?

Good physics knowledge requires the ability to apply mathematical concepts and equations to solve real-world problems. At the same time, good math knowledge is enhanced by understanding the physical principles and laws that govern the natural world. Together, these two types of knowledge work hand in hand to provide a comprehensive understanding of physics.

3. Which is more important, good physics knowledge or good math knowledge?

Both good physics knowledge and good math knowledge are equally important in the field of physics. Without a strong foundation in math, it is difficult to fully understand and apply the principles of physics. On the other hand, without a good understanding of physics, mathematical equations and concepts may lack real-world significance.

4. Can someone excel in physics with only good math knowledge?

While having a strong foundation in math is crucial for understanding and applying physics principles, it is not enough on its own. Good physics knowledge also requires an understanding of the underlying physical concepts and their real-world applications. Therefore, it is important to have both good physics and math knowledge to excel in the field of physics.

5. How can someone improve their physics knowledge if they struggle with math?

If someone struggles with math, it is important to seek help from a tutor or teacher to strengthen their math skills. Additionally, studying and practicing physics concepts and principles can also help improve math understanding, as they go hand in hand. Additionally, taking a step-by-step approach and breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts can also help improve understanding of both physics and math.