How Does Rotating a Polaroid Affect Light Intensity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations to determine the drop in light intensity when one sheet of polaroid is rotated by 30 degrees from another sheet. One person initially suggests using the equation tanB = N1/N2, but this is incorrect. The other person clarifies that Malus' Law should be used instead, where intensity after = intensity before*cos^30. The conversation then delves into a discussion about the relationship between intensity and electric field, and how the power (intensity) is proportional to the square of the electric field and current. Ultimately, the factor by which the light intensity drops is determined to be 0.75, using the equation I = I_0 * cos^2
fionamb83
Two sheets of polaroid are oriented so that there is a maximum transmission of light. One sheet is now rotated by 30 degrees, by what factor does the light intensity drop?

OK, the only equation I could think to use is tanB = N1/N2 but it doesn't seem to work.

the answer is 0.75 I just can't seem to get there.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
fionamb83 said:
the only equation I could think to use is tanB = N1/N2 but it doesn't seem to work.

Define the terms in this equation: what exactly are B, N1, N2, and how do they relate to the problem you've quoted?

Got it!

I feel silly! I realize equation I was trying to use was wrong. I solved it using Malus' Law

intensity after = Intensity before*cos^30

Thanks for the quick reply tho.

Malus' Law is spot on. The intensity is greatest when angle=0deg, zero when angle=90 deg. The cos(angle) function fits the bill, especially as the situation is a rotation.

Sorry, in the above post I should have said amplitude not intensity.
fionamb83 said:
... Malus' Law

intensity after = Intensity before*cos^30

In the above did you mean [tex]I = I_0 \sin 30^o[/tex] or [tex]I = I_0 \sin^2 30^o[/tex] ?

Last edited:
[tex]
I = I_0 \cos^2 30^o
[/tex]

From Cutnell, Physics

Last edited:
fionamb83 said:
[tex]
I = I_0 \cos^2 30^o
[/tex]

From Cutnell, Physics
[itex]E=E_0 cos(30)[/itex] where [itex]E[/itex] is the field in Volts/m.

Power (intensity) is proportional to [itex]E^2[/itex], which in turn is proportional to [itex]I^2[/itex] (current squared).

[tex]\frac{I}{I_0}=\frac{E^2}{E_0^2}=\frac{(E_0 cos(30))^2}{E_0^2}=cos^2(30)=0.75[/tex]

[n.b. "I" for intensity is not current - I hope that isn't too confusing]

Regards,

Bill

Last edited:

What is polarization?

Polarization is a property of electromagnetic waves that describes the orientation of the electric field. It can be linear, circular, or elliptical.

What is tanB?

tanB is the tangent of the angle between the direction of polarization and the direction of the electric field. It is used to quantify the level of polarization of an electromagnetic wave.

What do N1 and N2 represent?

N1 and N2 are the amplitudes of the electric field in two perpendicular directions. They are used to calculate the degree of polarization (tanB) of an electromagnetic wave.

How is polarization tanB measured?

Polarization tanB is measured by comparing the amplitudes of the electric field in two perpendicular directions. The tangent of the angle between these amplitudes is then calculated to determine the degree of polarization.

What is the significance of polarization tanB?

Polarization tanB is important because it allows us to understand and manipulate the properties of electromagnetic waves. It is also used in various applications, such as in antenna design and optical devices.