Tag Posts with Relevant Keywords - Enjoy!

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: and if you clicked on one of the titles, it would take you to that thread's page, with the option to add a comment, and the option to follow the thread or not.The tag cloud is there to help you find threads more easily. :)
You can now tag posts with relevant keywords. Enjoy!

Physics news on Phys.org
Who can? Who can edit tags?

Doc Al said:
Who can? Who can edit tags?

I can :biggrin:

There is a tag cloud on the homepage sidebar now too and you can search by tag.

Ooh, I added a tag. :biggrin: So, okay, on a more nuts and bolts side, can the members edit tags? Or just mentors? When I opened the tag edit screen, it says you can only have 6 tags, and I had the option to uncheck tags to remove them too. Is that something everyone could do (I can just see the tag wars now :rolleyes:)?

Can someone who isn't staff tell us if they can monkey around with the tags and to what extent?

What's a tag?

berkeman said:
What's a tag?
Scroll down and you will see "tags" in a bar under the thread. On the right and side, click "edit threads" and you can add or delete tags.

You can add a tag to a thread to help you locate it with a search.

If anyone can add tags, but there is a limit to the number of tags, does that mean I get to delete someone's tag so I can make my own? I don't suppose it's possible to have a "my tags"?

I must be brain dead. I'm still only guessing at what they are used for. So, if I saw a word in a thread that I thought was a good partial description of the subject matter, or saw some keyword that the thread was addressing, I could double click on the word to highlight it, CTL-C to copy the word, and then go to Edit Tags to paste it in? And then that word would be a tag to this thread (the whole thread, not the post I got it from?), kind of like the index in the back of a book (which has multiple pointers into the book for the multiple instances of the occurrance of the word)?

Or am I just off in the weeds here... Brain dead. Going home for now. Nite!

Let's say you want to be able to find this thread again, you might give it a name (tag) that meant something to you so when you do a tag search, the thread comes up.

berkeman said:
I must be brain dead. I'm still only guessing at what they are used for. So, if I saw a word in a thread that I thought was a good partial description of the subject matter, or saw some keyword that the thread was addressing, I could double click on the word to highlight it, CTL-C to copy the word, and then go to Edit Tags to paste it in? And then that word would be a tag to this thread (the whole thread, not the post I got it from?), kind of like the index in the back of a book (which has multiple pointers into the book for the multiple instances of the occurrance of the word)?

Or am I just off in the weeds here... Brain dead. Going home for now. Nite!

Yep, they're used to index the threads. Think of it as a keyword search. It should help improve the searches here if some relevant keywords or phrases are tagged so you could search by those keywords (going to the "tag cloud" or keyword list would allow you to search for threads on similar topics...or even similarly misspelled topics if someone spelled their keyword wrong :biggrin:)

I just noticed "tongue" made the tag cloud...:rofl:...small sample size, I'm sure...!

lisab said:
I just noticed "tongue" made the tag cloud...:rofl:...small sample size, I'm sure...!

yeah, it holds the top 70 tags, so for the time being, anyone tag with atleast 1 click will get in the list :)

Moonbear said:
Can someone who isn't staff tell us if they can monkey around with the tags and to what extent?

I can add two tags and I can't uncheck ones already there.

Kurdt said:
I can add two tags and I can't uncheck ones already there.

Me too. :smile:

ooh … the tag cloud is difficult to read because most of the tags are of more than one word, and nothing separates the tags.
could they start with a capital, or be alternate colours … or each begin with their own smilie? :biggrin:

Last edited:
tag cloud

(I can add 5 tags to my own thread)

I tried adding a tag with an initial capital letter, but it was changed to a small letter. :cry:

oh, and … why "cloud"?

Is there something like an "auto-tag" system? I remember a few years back when I was a member of another board, at the bottom of every thread page there would always be a listing of five threads titled "Similar threads". I assume this is done automatically because I always notice 5 similar threads listed at the page bottom and the contents of the designated "similar threads" are not always relevant to the current thread, as would be expected if it were automated.

Could this be implemented somehow on this board?

I can add 2 tags to this thread, and delete my own only.

Sweet

Defennder said:
Could this be implemented somehow on this board?

Yes, but the way it is implemented (just listed at the bottom of a thread) I don't feel it is worthwhile. Something to consider for the future.

Oh, hmm, now a bunch of tags have disappeared (seems if someone unchecks one, it goes away forever and can't just be re-checked). But, it says I can now add 9, so I'm guessing the thread maximum is actually 10 and the number shown is how many LEFT to add, not how many TOTAL can be added?

Moonbear said:
Oh, hmm, now a bunch of tags have disappeared (seems if someone unchecks one, it goes away forever and can't just be re-checked). But, it says I can now add 9, so I'm guessing the thread maximum is actually 10 and the number shown is how many LEFT to add, not how many TOTAL can be added?

Yes 10, I deleted many "test" tags in this thread.

This is great Greg, we can group threads by topic which will make searching so much easier! This will hopefully prevent so many redundant threads from being started.

Why do the fonts in the tag cloud change size seemingly randomly? Is it supposed to do that, is there any relevance to the font size, or does something just need to be fixed? It's a bit hard to read with all the changing font sizes. I know someone mentioned that they ran together with all the same font, but there are several in a row the same size anyway. Maybe colors would be easier than sizes? Or maybe my eyes are the problem. :bugeye:

Moonbear said:
Why do the fonts in the tag cloud change size seemingly randomly? Is it supposed to do that, is there any relevance to the font size, or does something just need to be fixed?

From wiki:
"Tags are usually single words and are typically listed alphabetically, and the importance of a tag is shown with font size or color. Thus both finding a tag by alphabet and by popularity is possible. The tags are usually hyperlinks that lead to a collection of items that are associated with a tag."

So tags are are being used the most are bigger and bolder.

Wow, the cloud is really getting big! Looks like a storm brewing...when that cloud let's loose, there will be tags raining down everywhere!

I'd hate to get hit by that big ol' fourier series...ouch!

There's a small problem with the tag search feature. At present it doesn't search within the text of the tags. Which means that if the tag is "solid-state physics" and I search for "solid state", there would be zero matches.

Greg Bernhardt said:
So tags are are being used the most are bigger and bolder.

Okay. I take it that's something outside your control to make the size change less dramatic? Something in between when they were all the same size and now would be more aesthetically appealing. Or maybe now I know why it's called a cloud...all the "fluffiness" of different font sizes does make it look more cloud-like.

lisab said:
Wow, the cloud is really getting big! Looks like a storm brewing...when that cloud let's loose, there will be tags raining down everywhere!

I'd hate to get hit by that big ol' fourier series...ouch!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I think you've been struck by the same aesthetics issue of the font size differences as I did. Yes, a storm brewing sounds about like the right description. One thing for certain, nobody's going to miss that there's a new feature there! :bugeye:

I found another fun way to enjoy the tag cloud. I find myself looking at it trying to find humorous phrases hidden among the tags. For example, right now a series of tags is "black holes bleeding Carl Sagan." :rofl:

Moonbear said:
"black holes bleeding Carl Sagan." :rofl:

Haha, cool.

I put a tag for selfAdjoint. If anyone sees a past post of his, we could tag it in his honor.

I don't see the SA in the PF name anymore?

Cyrus said:
I put a tag for selfAdjoint. If anyone sees a past post of his, we could tag it in his honor.

I don't see the SA in the PF name anymore?

We dropped that when we signed on with Scientific American. It was potentially confusing. If you haven't seen the other thread on it, there's a library entry being created for him where people can post their memories.

So now those of us that enjoy bleeding can easily find threads about bleeding (actually, that's pretty handy knowledge about the bacon), those of us that like complaining can easily find threads about complaining, and, best of all, those of us that like cougar hunting can find cougar threads. :rofl:

Only if you have tagged the threads ahead of time. :wink:

I just gave this thread a tag of "tags". Clever, eh?

<h2>1. What is the purpose of tagging posts with relevant keywords?</h2><p>Tagging posts with relevant keywords helps to categorize and organize content, making it easier for users to find specific posts and for search engines to index the content. It also helps to increase visibility and engagement with the post.</p><h2>2. How do I choose the right keywords to tag my posts with?</h2><p>It is important to choose keywords that accurately describe the content of the post and are commonly used by your target audience. You can also use tools like Google Keyword Planner to research popular and relevant keywords for your content.</p><h2>3. Can I use as many tags as I want for a single post?</h2><p>While there is no set limit, it is recommended to use only a few relevant tags for each post. Using too many tags can make the post appear spammy and may not provide any additional value to the user.</p><h2>4. Should I use the same tags for every post?</h2><p>No, it is important to use different tags for each post to accurately reflect the content. Using the same tags for every post may not provide enough variety and may not accurately represent the different topics covered in your content.</p><h2>5. Can I add tags to old posts?</h2><p>Yes, you can add tags to old posts as long as they are relevant to the content. This can help to improve the visibility of older posts and make them more discoverable to users and search engines.</p>

1. What is the purpose of tagging posts with relevant keywords?

Tagging posts with relevant keywords helps to categorize and organize content, making it easier for users to find specific posts and for search engines to index the content. It also helps to increase visibility and engagement with the post.

2. How do I choose the right keywords to tag my posts with?

It is important to choose keywords that accurately describe the content of the post and are commonly used by your target audience. You can also use tools like Google Keyword Planner to research popular and relevant keywords for your content.

3. Can I use as many tags as I want for a single post?

While there is no set limit, it is recommended to use only a few relevant tags for each post. Using too many tags can make the post appear spammy and may not provide any additional value to the user.

4. Should I use the same tags for every post?

No, it is important to use different tags for each post to accurately reflect the content. Using the same tags for every post may not provide enough variety and may not accurately represent the different topics covered in your content.

5. Can I add tags to old posts?

Yes, you can add tags to old posts as long as they are relevant to the content. This can help to improve the visibility of older posts and make them more discoverable to users and search engines.