Need help focusing IR using a fresnel lens

In summary, the conversation discusses using a Fresnel lens to focus on a small rectangular area for infrared (IR). The speaker has tried trial and error but cannot find the exact focal point. Suggestions are made to use a visible source, such as the sun or a lamp, to find the focal point. Caution is also given when using the sun as a light source.
Gianna
Hello everyone,

I want to focus IR on a small rectangular area using a Fresnel lens. I tried trial and error to find the focal point of the lens but can't seem to be able to get the exact point. The frensnel lens is a multiple fresnel lens. Can anyone please help?

Thanks =)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

What wavelength (range) of IR?

Try using a visible source to find the focal point. It will not be very different for IR.

I tried using a laser pointer to do that. It was about 600nm. But it was too focused to let me see any difference. Can u suggest any other light source?

You can take it outside and use the sun. Or inside, if the sun is visible through a window.

Less accurate, but maybe reasonably accurate, is to use a ceiling lamp or other lamp, at a distance at least 10 focal lengths away from the lens.

1/f = 1/(focusing distance) + 1/(lamp distance)

Hope that helps.

Note:
BE VERY CAREFUL if using the sun as a light source. Only focus the sun onto non-flamable surfaces!

What is a fresnel lens?

A fresnel lens is a type of lens that is made up of concentric grooves on a flat surface. It is designed to be thinner and lighter than traditional lenses, while still maintaining the same optical power. It is commonly used in lighthouses, projectors, and magnifying glasses.

How does a fresnel lens help with focusing IR?

A fresnel lens is able to focus infrared (IR) light by bending the light rays towards a central point, known as the focal point. The grooved design of the lens allows for more efficient and precise focusing of the IR light, resulting in a clearer and brighter image.

What are some common uses for a fresnel lens in focusing IR?

Fresnel lenses are commonly used in security systems, such as motion detectors and night vision cameras, to focus IR light for clearer detection and imaging. They are also used in scientific instruments, such as spectrometers and telescopes, to focus IR light for analysis and observation.

How do I properly position the fresnel lens for optimal IR focusing?

The fresnel lens should be positioned perpendicular to the incoming IR light source, with the grooved side facing the source. It is also important to adjust the distance between the lens and the source to find the optimal focal point for the specific application.

Are there any limitations to using a fresnel lens for IR focusing?

While fresnel lenses are highly effective for focusing IR light, they do have some limitations. They are not suitable for use with highly divergent light sources, as the grooves may cause distortion. They also have a limited range of focal lengths, so they may not be suitable for all applications.