What is the derivative of f(x) = 2cos3x + 3sin2x on the interval (-pie, pie)?

• Thread starter ryan.1015
  • Start date
You can then find the critical points and use the first derivative test to find the relative extrema. However, you also need to check the endpoints (-π and π) to find the absolute extrema. In summary, to find the maxima and minima of the function f(x)=2cos3x + 3sin2x on the interval (-π, π), you first need to take the derivative using the chain rule. This will give you f'(x) = -6sin(3x) + 6cos(2x). Then, you can find the critical points and use the first derivative test to find the relative extrema. Don't forget to also check the endpoints (-π and π) to find the
ryan.1015

Homework Statement

find the maxima and minima of the function f(x)=2cos3x + 3sin2x on the interval (-pie, pie)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You must show your work, before we can help you. What have you tried> Maybe something involving the derivative?

im not sure if i did the derivative right. i got -2sin3x+ 3cosx as the first derivative

ryan.1015 said:
im not sure if i did the derivative right. i got -2sin3x+ 3cosx as the first derivative

I'm sure that you didn't. You need to use the chain rule. Your answer should start with "f'(x) = "

pere callahan and mark44, is the following statement right..
find derivative of f(x) as below
f'(x) = -6sin(3x) + 6cos(2x)
now solve it by equating to zero. then find critical points. from these points and end points (pie and -pie) find the absolute maxima and minima & relative maxima and minima

ElectroPhysics said:
pere callahan and mark44, is the following statement right..
find derivative of f(x) as below
f'(x) = -6sin(3x) + 6cos(2x)
It is.

What is the definition of a maximum and minimum in mathematics?

A maximum is the highest value that a function or set of data can reach. A minimum is the lowest value that a function or set of data can reach.

Why is finding maximum and minimums important in mathematics?

Finding maximum and minimums helps us understand the behavior of functions and data sets. It allows us to identify important points and make predictions about the data.

What are the different methods for finding maximum and minimums?

The most common methods include graphing, calculus, and algebraic methods such as completing the square or using the quadratic formula.

Can a function have more than one maximum or minimum?

Yes, a function can have multiple local and/or global maximum and minimum points. These points can occur at different x-values and can have the same or different y-values.

How are maximum and minimums used in real-life applications?

Maximum and minimums are used in various fields such as engineering, economics, and data analysis to optimize processes and make informed decisions. For example, finding the minimum cost for manufacturing a product or maximizing profit in a business.