Top Classical Mechanics Texts for Self-Study | Physics, Calculus, ODEs, and More

In summary, the person is looking for a good classical mechanics text for self-study and has a background in calculus-based physics, multivariable calculus, ODEs, linear algebra, real analysis, and a little bit of PDEs. They have heard that Goldstein is good but are wondering if there are better books on the subject. Another person recommends Landau and Lifgarbagez's "Mechanics" and suggests that there is no "best" book, but rather a few good options. They also mention Symon's text for advanced undergrads and suggest Segel's "Mathematics applied to continuum mechanics" or Truesdell's chapters in The Handbook of Physics as additional resources for elasticity and the mechanics of
Plutonic
Hi,

I'm looking for a good classical mechanics text for self study, roughly around my level.

So far I've taken courses in calculus based physics courses, ( first year mechanics and E&M )
multi-variable calculus, ODE's and linear algebra. I have self taught myself real analysis, and a little bit of PDE's.

I've heard that Goldstein is good but I was wondering if there are better books on the subject.

Physics news on Phys.org
Landau and Lifgarbagez's "Mechanics" (Course of Theoretical Physics Vol. I) is the best introduction to advanced mechanics.

There are no best, you just pick one or two or three, and by induction get to countable many of them.
LoL

Cheers.

L&L and Goldstein present classical mechanics in a framework that mainly prepares the reader for quantum mechanics. Symon's text is for advanced undergrads and has an incredible number of excellent problem sets.

For elasticity and the mechanics of continua, a couple of suggestions are Segel's "Mathematics applied to continuum mechanics" or Truesdell's chapters in The Handbook of Physics- 'The Classical Field Theories' is the one to finish with after Segel. L&L has a couple of relevant volumes also- #7 and #8.

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects and systems under the influence of forces. It is based on Newton's laws of motion and the concept of conservation of energy.

2. What is included in a classical mechanics text?

A classical mechanics text typically covers topics such as kinematics, dynamics, energy, momentum, rotational motion, and oscillations. It also includes mathematical equations and problem-solving strategies.

3. What background knowledge is required to understand classical mechanics?

A basic understanding of calculus and trigonometry is necessary to comprehend classical mechanics. Some knowledge of physics, particularly Newton's laws of motion, is also helpful.

4. How is classical mechanics different from quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics is based on the laws of motion and can accurately describe the behavior of macroscopic objects. Quantum mechanics, on the other hand, is based on the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale and follows different principles and equations.

5. Why is classical mechanics still relevant today?

Classical mechanics is the foundation of many engineering and technological advancements, such as bridges, airplanes, and satellites. It also serves as the basis for more complex theories and principles in physics, making it an essential subject for understanding the natural world.