Question now has a picture to match

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a disk with a radius of 0.05m being placed on a conveyor belt. The disk is at rest and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the disk and the belt is 0.2. The questions ask for the acceleration and angular acceleration of the disk, as well as equations and diagrams to determine the angular acceleration while slipping occurs. The formula for angular acceleration is tau = I * alpha, where tau is torque, I is moment of inertia, and alpha is angular acceleration. Another formula used is (1/r)(Vbelt/dt).
foxandthehen
http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/7782/question6jh6.png

The axis of a disk with radius of 0.05m is fitted into a slot that forms an angle of 30degs with the vertical axis. The disk is at rest when it is placed in contact with a convayor belt moving at contsant speed. The coefficent of kenetic friction between the disk and the belt is 0.2 and there is no bearing friction.

a) Express the acceleration of the center of mass of the body, and its angular acceleration

b) Draw a free body diagram showing the applie forces and the eqivalent force diagram showing the vectror 'ma' or its conponents and 'Ia'

c) Write the three equations of motion and use them to determine the angular acceleration of the disk while slipping occurs.

------------------------

HELP! Where should I start? Any help and advice would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you're being asked for angular acceleration. What formula do you know for that?

That's right... tau = I * alpha, in other words, alpha = tau / I, where alpha is the angular acceleration, tau is the torque, and I is the moment of inertia. Does that get you started?

Hi! Thanks for the answer! I managed to do and hand it in yesterday and it was really quite simple in the end, think I just had a mental block about it! lol.
oh and I used Angular acceleration = (1/r)(Vbelt/dt) :D

1. What is the purpose of adding a picture to a question?

The purpose of adding a picture to a question is to provide visual aid and increase the clarity of the question. It can also make the question more engaging and memorable.

2. How can I add a picture to my question?

To add a picture to your question, you can use a website or app that allows you to upload images, then copy and paste the image link into your question. Some question forms may also have a designated option for adding images.

3. Can I use any picture for my question?

Yes, you can use any picture as long as it is appropriate and relevant to your question. It is important to make sure that you have the rights to use the image or that it is in the public domain.

4. Will adding a picture affect the difficulty level of the question?

No, adding a picture will not affect the difficulty level of the question. The picture is only meant to provide visual aid and does not add or subtract from the actual content of the question.

5. Can I add multiple pictures to one question?

Yes, you can add multiple pictures to one question. However, it is important to make sure that the pictures are relevant and do not overwhelm the question or distract from the main point.