Emergent matter as form of ramification?

In summary, Sundance Bilson showed in a novel paper that he could create the first generation of the Standard Model through braid relations. Namely, Sundance Bilson showed in a novel paper that he could create the first generation of the Standard Model through braid relations. Now a natural question is why would these braid relations arise? They don't arise. They are just made to eventualy emulate the SM. They are beautiful, though, and work in a very subtle way.
Jim Kata
Ok, I doubt this belongs in this forum since it's purely speculative, but I was curious what work has been done in the direction of explaining emergent matter as a type of ramification? Namely, Sundance Bilson showed in a novel paper that he could create the first generation of the Standard Model through braid relations. Now a natural question is why would these braid relations arise? In the tamely ramified Langland's program braid relations arise as the Weyl group of an affine lie algebra. They describe center of a universal cover of a group or the fundamental group of the adjoint representation of a group. Has anyone tried to work out the details as to whether this mechanism could explain the internal symmetries of the standard model?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jim Kata said:
Has anyone tried to work out the details as to whether this mechanism could explain the internal symmetries of the standard model?

Look on arxiv for the papers of Yidun Wan.

Yidun Wan is one of a handful of people who have been researching this idea in the past couple of years.
Jonathan Hackett is another.

Jim Kata said:
Now a natural question is why would these braid relations arise?
They don't arise. They are just made to eventualy emulate the SM. They are beautiful, though, and work in a very subtle way. Not at all naive.

As Marcus said, check Yin DunWan:
http://arxiv.org/find/hep-th/1/au:+Wan_Y/0/1/0/all/0/1

Jim Kata said:
Has anyone tried to work out the details as to whether this mechanism could explain the internal symmetries of the standard model?

I never saw any explicit attempt in considering any supersymmetry, much less N4SYM. But I was thinking about that too... About the ramified case of the langlands, but I am almost there in trying to understand the gist of it.

Anyway, what kind of loop operator is that one of LQG?

MTd2 said:
Anyway, what kind of loop operator is that one of LQG?

On one side of the correspondence it's a Wilson loop operator, which is an element of the fundamental group. On the other side of the correspondence it's a t'Hooft / Wilson line operator over the Langland's dual gauge group, through a type of magnetic monopole phenomena. I'm really just speculating, but this would be consistent with the Witten Kapustin description. Granted, their paper only considered a topologically twisted version of N=4 supersymmetry, but I think the under riding principles of the correspondence are more robust than just applying to the GL twisted N = 4 case.

1. What is emergent matter?

Emergent matter refers to a type of matter that arises from the collective behavior of many individual particles or systems. It is a result of interactions between these particles, rather than being explicitly defined by the properties of individual particles.

2. How does emergent matter differ from traditional forms of matter?

Traditional forms of matter, such as solid, liquid, and gas, are defined by the properties of individual particles. Emergent matter, on the other hand, is a result of complex interactions between particles and can have unique properties that do not exist at the individual level.

3. What are some examples of emergent matter?

Examples of emergent matter include superconductors, where the collective behavior of electrons allows for zero resistance to electrical current, and liquid crystals, where the orientation of molecules gives rise to unique optical properties.

4. How do scientists study emergent matter?

Scientists use a variety of experimental and theoretical techniques to study emergent matter. This can include computer simulations, statistical analysis, and physical experiments using specialized equipment.

5. What are the potential applications of emergent matter?

Emergent matter has the potential to be used in a wide range of applications, including advanced materials, electronics, and even in fields like medicine and energy production. By understanding and harnessing the properties of emergent matter, scientists hope to develop new technologies and improve existing ones.