Unlocking the Mystery of Atomic Structure

In summary, by solving the Schrodinger equation for a bound system, one obtains the quantum numbers n, l, and ml which correspond to specific wave functions and electrons. Adding the spin up and down states results in fine structure, and each electron in the atom has a unique set of quantum numbers. However, in multi-electron atoms, the eigenstates are actually product states and it is not possible to speak of individual electrons.
jalalmalo
let me see if I got this one right:

By solving the S E for bound system u got the quantum number n l and ml. each set of numbers corresponds to a curtain wave function and electron. One gots fine structure when adding the spin up 1/2 and down 1/2. so every electron in the atom has a set of these quantum numbers and no two electrons can have the same set.

thanx for your patience and replies

Physics news on Phys.org
jalalmalo said:
By solving the S E for bound system u got the quantum number n l and ml.
Yes, for V~1/r^2 at least.

jalalmalo said:
each set of numbers corresponds to a curtain wave function ...
Yes, in particular an eigenfunction of the Hamiltonian.

jalalmalo said:
... and electron.
I'm not sure. Actually, I don't think so. I haven't ever treated multi-electron atoms too rigorously, but I think that, strictly speaking, the eigenstates would be product states that combine all electrons as fermions, rather than treating them individually. Since electrons are identical, it doesn't make quantum sense to speak of individual electrons in a multi-electron system.

jalalmalo said:
One gots fine structure when adding the spin up 1/2 and down 1/2.
There is an energy splitting between the spin up and spin down states of a given orbital.

jalalmalo said:
so every electron in the atom has a set of these quantum numbers and no two electrons can have the same set.
Again, I think that the eigenstates of electrons in a multi-electron atom are actually products states, but I'm not sure.

1. What is atomic structure?

Atomic structure refers to the arrangement of particles within an atom. Atoms are the basic building blocks of matter and are composed of a central nucleus containing protons and neutrons, surrounded by electrons in orbitals or energy levels.

2. Why is understanding atomic structure important?

Understanding atomic structure is crucial in many fields, including chemistry, physics, and engineering. It allows us to explain the properties and behavior of different elements and compounds, as well as develop new materials and technologies.

3. How was the mystery of atomic structure unlocked?

The mystery of atomic structure was unlocked through the contributions of many scientists, including J.J. Thomson, Ernest Rutherford, and Niels Bohr. They conducted experiments and developed theories that ultimately led to our current understanding of atomic structure.

4. What are the main components of an atom?

The main components of an atom are protons, neutrons, and electrons. Protons have a positive charge, neutrons have no charge, and electrons have a negative charge. These particles are held together by strong forces within the nucleus.

5. Can atomic structure change?

Yes, atomic structure can change through a process called nuclear reactions. This can occur through the addition or removal of particles, resulting in a different element or isotope with a different number of protons, neutrons, or electrons.