Show using the intermediate value theorem

In summary, the Intermediate Value Theorem is used to show that there exists a value of \rho, between 0 and r, for which the volume of a cylinder with height h and radius \rho is equal to the volume of a cone with height h and radius r. This can be proven by considering the continuous functions of both shapes and using the fact that \pi h \rho^2 takes on all values between 0 and \pi h r^2 as \rho goes from 0 to r.
John O' Meara
Use the Intermediate Value Theorem to show that there is a cylinder of height h and radius less than r whose volume is equal to that of a cone of height h and radius r.
IVT states that: if f is continuous on a closed interval [a,b] and k is any number between f(a) and f(b), inclusive, then there is at least one number x in the interval [a,b] such that f(x)=k.
The volume of the cylinder is [tex] \pi x^2h[/tex] and the volume of the cone is [tex]\frac{\pi}{3} r^2h[/tex], where x< r. If r > x then, the curve [tex] \frac{\pi}{3} r^2h[/tex] is streched more than the curve [tex] \pi x^2h[/tex], i.e it is closer to the y-axis than the curve [\pi x^2h[/tex], so I cannot find k. And is not a<0 and b>r? Then f(a)<0 and f(b)>f(r)?I am studing this on my own. Please help. Thanks.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't see how y=x^2/3 is closer to the y-axis than y=x^2? It's the other way around

and if you haven't solved the problem,
look at the interval [0,r]

As you say, a cone of height h and radius r has volume [itex]\frac{1}{3}\pi r^2 h[/itex].

What is the volume of a cylinder of height h and radius 0? What is the volume of a cylinder of height h and radius r? Now, what does the intermediate value theorem tell you?

The volume of the cylinder is 0 and [tex] \pi r^2h [/tex] respectively. I think you mean that f(a)=0 and [tex]f(b)= \pi r^2h [/tex]. In that case surely there is an infinite number of values that k can have between f(a) and f(b). But we only want one value of k such that the volume of the cylinder equals the volume of the cone. I just don't understand yet.

Yes, there are an infinite number of values between 0 and [itex]\pi h r^2[/itex].

And one of them is [itex](1/3)\pi h r^2[/itex]!

The intermediate value theorem tells you that as [itex]\rho[/itex] goes from 0 to r [itex]\pi h \rho^2[/itex] takes on all values between 0 and [itex]\pi h r^2[/itex].

1. What is the intermediate value theorem?

The intermediate value theorem is a mathematical concept that states if a continuous function is evaluated at two different points, and the output values are on opposite sides of the x-axis, then there must be at least one point between the two inputs where the function crosses the x-axis.

2. How is the intermediate value theorem used in science?

The intermediate value theorem is often used in science to prove the existence of a solution or root for a given equation or model. It is also used to show that a certain property or behavior exists within a system.

3. Can you provide an example of using the intermediate value theorem in science?

Sure! Let's say we want to prove that there is a point on Earth where the temperature is exactly 0 degrees Celsius. We can use the intermediate value theorem to show that at some point between the North Pole and the equator, the temperature must cross 0 degrees.

4. What are the requirements for using the intermediate value theorem?

In order to use the intermediate value theorem, the function must be continuous and the inputs must be on opposite sides of the x-axis. Additionally, the function must be evaluated at two different points, not just one.

5. Are there any limitations to the intermediate value theorem?

While the intermediate value theorem is a powerful tool, it does have its limitations. It can only be applied to continuous functions, and it does not provide any information about the exact location of the point where the function crosses the x-axis. It also cannot be used for functions with discontinuities.