Normal and Simple Subgroups in Finite Group G: Proof of Equality for K and H

In summary: Yes, the fact that G/H is simple can be relaxed to just include the condition that G/H is normal. Thus H=K.
Bleys
H,K are normal subgroups of a (finite) group G, and K is also normal in H. If G/K and G/H are simple, does it follow that H=K?
I'm almost convinced it does, but I'm having trouble proving it. I mean, the cosets of H partition G and the cosets of K partition G in the same way and on top of that partition H, right? I'm not sure when to bring in normality and the fact that the quotients are simple.

Physics news on Phys.org
What if G=H?

no, sorry, I should have included that. H and K are proper normal subgroups in G.

Okay. Now, can you describe the relationship(s) between G/H, G/K and H/K?

This is actually where I had trouble.
[tex] G/H = \left\{ H, g_{1}H, g_{2}H,... \right\} [/tex] and [tex] G/K = \left\{ K, g_{1}K, ... \right\} = \left\{ K, g_{1}K, ... \right\} \cup \left\{ K, h_{1}K, ... \right\} [/tex] for [tex] g_{i} \in G-H[/tex] and [tex]h_{j} \in H [/tex]
That last on is [tex] G/K = \left\{ K, g_{1}K, ... \right\} \cup H/K [/tex] for [tex] g_{i} \in G-H[/tex]. Then, can you say that [tex] G/H = \left\{ K, g_{1}K, ... \right\} [/tex] for [tex] g_{i} \in G-H[/tex], since the intersection of H/K and [tex]\left\{ K, g_{1}K, ... \right\}[/tex] is just the identity element, K. Then the cosets of H in G must coincide with the cosets of K in G. Thus H=K?
Or am I totally missing it. I must be, since I haven't used either normality and simple quotients...

I have to run, so I'll leave you with a quick exercise (or reminder, in case you've seen this result previously): (G/K)/(H/K) = G/H. This isomorphism pretty much solves your problem. One way to prove it is to write down an obvious map G/K -> G/H and look at its kernel.

oh alright. So the proof of the isomorphism uses normality of K in G and H in G (specifically for the map to be a group homomorphism) and the First Isomorphism Theorem. Now, the kernel of the map is normal in its domain (ie G/K), so ker = H/K is normal in G/K. But G/K is simple, so either H/K = {1} or H/K = G/K. If H/K = G/K then (G/K)/(H/K) = {1} and so G/H = {1}. But this implies G=H, which is not the case. Therefore H/K = {1}, and so H=K. Great, thanks a lot!

But one more thing. I didn't use the fact the G/H is simple. Does it mean you can relax that condition to just exclude it?

1. What is a normal group?

A normal group is a subgroup of a larger group that is invariant under certain operations, such as conjugation. This means that if an element is in the subgroup, and another element is in the larger group, then the conjugate of the first element by the second element will also be in the subgroup.

2. What is the difference between a normal group and a simple group?

A normal group is a subgroup that is invariant under certain operations, while a simple group is a group that has no nontrivial normal subgroups. This means that a simple group cannot be broken down into smaller groups, while a normal group can.

3. How do you determine if a group is normal?

To determine if a group is normal, you can use the definition of normality: a subgroup is normal if it is invariant under conjugation. This means that for every element in the subgroup, and every element in the larger group, the conjugate of the first element by the second element is also in the subgroup. Alternatively, you can also use the normal subgroup test, which states that a subgroup is normal if and only if it is the kernel of some homomorphism.

4. Can a group be both normal and simple?

Yes, a group can be both normal and simple. This would mean that the group is invariant under certain operations and has no nontrivial normal subgroups. An example of such a group is the alternating group A5, which is both normal and simple.

5. What are some applications of normal and simple groups?

Normal and simple groups have many applications in mathematics and other fields, including cryptography, chemistry, and physics. They are used to study the symmetry of objects and molecules, to classify different types of group structures, and to solve various mathematical problems. They also have applications in computer science and coding theory, as they can be used to create efficient error-correcting codes.