Veterans of Foreign War

• Thread starter eNtRopY
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of war and experiences in the military. Ivan Seeking expresses curiosity about the experiences of veterans, while Dx shares their personal experiences in Gulf War I and II. The conversation also touches on the sacrifices made for freedom and the difficulty of fully understanding war without experiencing it firsthand.
eNtRopY
Just out of curiousity, who here is a legitimate veteran of a foreign war?

eNtRopY

Physics news on Phys.org
I am! Gulf War I and II. My question is why you want to know, my friend.

Originally posted by Dx
I am! Gulf War I and II. My question is why you want to know, my friend.

Not to divert this thread, but to anyone who has served and is willing, and perhaps in another thread, I would really like to hear about your experiences.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Not to divert this thread, but to anyone who has served and is willing, and perhaps in another thread, I would really like to hear about your experiences.
What is it you would like to know? I had good times and other times it just sucks! Think about it! Your away from home 6 months or longer, get shot at, see friends you make from all over the world die. I'll say that I am glad to know that all my friends made it back alive so far. Honestly, Ivan I don't see this war on Terror going away anytime soon, really. I don't forsee the future; I help create it for the job I do, remember the word TEAM! Its a concept only the miltary can truly understand. Imagine relying your life on someone then again I remember some you don't want them there at all . I could talk all nite about my experiences but I'll just ask you one simple question " what is one thing you really want to know about it?"
dx :wink:

Originally posted by Dx
What is it you would like to know? I had good times and other times it just sucks! Think about it! Your away from home 6 months or longer, get shot at, see friends you make from all over the world die. I'll say that I am glad to know that all my friends made it back alive so far. Honestly, Ivan I don't see this war on Terror going away anytime soon, really. I don't forsee the future; I help create it for the job I do, remember the word TEAM! Its a concept only the miltary can truly understand. Imagine relying your life on someone then again I remember some you don't want them there at all . I could talk all nite about my experiences but I'll just ask you one simple question " what is one thing you really want to know about it?"
dx :wink:

Well your answer touches on exactly what I would like to know. I always assumed that I would have to fight a war. Although I came within one day of going Navy Nuke, I never had to serve. I like to try to get some sense of experiences that I have never had - the joy, the sorrow, the rewards and sacrifices - as well as to appreciate and remember the sacrifices made by others for our country. It is easy to take what we have for granted. I am sure that if you did, you no longer do.

Some things are better left unsaid, imho.

Originally posted by BoulderHead
Some things are better left unsaid, imho.

Perhaps so. This is a judgement that I'm not qualified to make.

Last edited:
Well your answer touches on exactly what I would like to know. I always assumed that I would have to fight a war. Although I came within one day of going Navy Nuke, I never had to serve. I like to try to get some sense of experiences that I have never had - the joy, the sorrow, the rewards and sacrifices - as well as to appreciate and remember the sacrifices made by others for our country. It is easy to take what we have for granted. I am sure that if you did, you no longer do.

Your right! But the answer lies within YOU. Its hard to tell you experiences and expect you to undetstand it without actually being there. One word really, "Tough!" Your right Ivan, I used to take a lot for granted e.g., "Freedom". I don't believe any of us are truly FREE and everything has a price to be paid.

Originally posted by Dx
"Freedom". I don't believe any of us are truly FREE and
everything has a price to be paid.
Indeed.

What is the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW)?

The Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) is an organization that was founded in 1899 and is dedicated to supporting and advocating for veterans of foreign wars. It is the largest and oldest veterans service organization in the United States, with over 1.5 million members.

Who is eligible to join the VFW?

To be eligible for membership in the VFW, a person must have served honorably in the U.S. military in a foreign war or overseas operation recognized by the VFW. This includes veterans of World War I, World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the Persian Gulf War, and current conflicts in Iraq, Afghanistan, and other parts of the world.

What services does the VFW provide to veterans?

The VFW provides a wide range of services to veterans, including assistance with VA benefits and claims, financial support for veterans in need, and programs to support mental and physical well-being. The VFW also advocates for veterans' rights and provides resources for education and employment opportunities.

How is the VFW funded?

The VFW is a non-profit organization that is funded through membership dues, donations, and fundraising events. It also receives some funding from the government to support its programs and services for veterans.

How can someone get involved with the VFW?

There are several ways to get involved with the VFW, including becoming a member, volunteering at local VFW posts, and participating in fundraising events. Individuals can also support the VFW by donating to their programs and initiatives, or by advocating for veterans' rights and issues.