How fast is car moving when. .

• Thread starter sona1177
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the problem involves a 1.2 g pebble stuck in a tread of a .76-m-diameter automobile tire. The car starts from rest and gradually accelerates on a straight road. The maximum static friction that can hold the pebble in place is 3.6 N. The solution involves using the equation F=mv^2/r to calculate the speed of the car when the pebble flies out of the tire tread.
sona1177

Homework Statement

A 1.2 g pebble is stuck in a tread of a .76-m-diameter automobile tire, held in place by static friction that can be at most 3.6 N. The car starts from rest and gradually accelerates on a straight road. How fast is the car moving when the pebble flies out of the tire tread?

Homework Equations

alpha=net Torque/I=FR/MR^2

so: (3.6)(.38)/(.0012)(.38^2)=7895 rad/s^2

now my plan is to use s=R * theta to find theta (where s is the distance the pebble travels along the circular pathway), plug that value into wf^2=wi^2 + 2alpha * theta and then use the value I get for Wf in equation v=wr to get v. but the problem is I don't know how to find s because I don't know what distance the pebble travels along the circular pathway. Can someone please help? Thank you :)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
sona1177 said:
A 1.2 g pebble is stuck in a tread of a .76-m-diameter automobile tire, held in place by static friction that can be at most 3.6 N. The car starts from rest and gradually accelerates on a straight road. How fast is the car moving when the pebble flies out of the tire tread?

Homework Equations

alpha=net Torque/I=FR/MR^2

so: (3.6)(.38)/(.0012)(.38^2)=7895 rad/s^2
I'm not quite sure what is meant by your above calculations, :uhh:, But I don't think the 3.6 N should be assumed to be a tangential force. In other words, I don't the solution has anything to do with torque.
now my plan is to use s=R * theta to find theta (where s is the distance the pebble travels along the circular pathway), plug that value into wf^2=wi^2 + 2alpha * theta and then use the value I get for Wf in equation v=wr to get v. but the problem is I don't know how to find s because I don't know what distance the pebble travels along the circular pathway. Can someone please help? Thank you :)
I would approach this problem treating the 3.6 N as being directed radially. I.e., think centripetal force. :wink:

Hi okay so F=mv^2/r that means 3.6=.0012 * v^2/.038. V=34 m/s. Is this correct? Thank you so much for all your help!

That seems much better to me. :approve:

Thanks! :)

How fast is car moving when it reaches its top speed?

The speed at which a car reaches its top speed varies depending on the type of car and its engine capabilities. However, on average, most cars reach their top speed between 6-10 seconds.

How fast is car moving when it accelerates from 0 to 60 mph?

The time it takes for a car to accelerate from 0 to 60 mph, also known as the 0-60 time, is a common measure of a car's performance. On average, most cars take between 6-8 seconds to achieve this speed.

How fast is car moving when it is driving on the highway?

The speed of a car on the highway can vary depending on the speed limit and traffic conditions. However, most cars tend to drive at speeds between 55-80 mph on the highway.

How fast is car moving when it is in reverse?

The speed of a car when it is in reverse is significantly slower than when it is moving forward. On average, cars can go up to 5-10 mph in reverse.

How fast is car moving when it brakes to a complete stop?

The braking distance of a car depends on various factors such as speed, weight, and road conditions. However, on average, it takes a car traveling at 60 mph about 120 feet to come to a complete stop after braking.