Why does the lid stick to the pan after cooking?

• Thread starter fishingspree2
  • Start date
In summary, when a perfectly fitting pot and lid are used for cooking, they often stick together after cooling down. This is due to the difference in temperature and pressure between the inside and outside of the pot. The vapor inside the pot also contributes to this pressure difference. To open the lid, one can try using a utensil to gently pry it open or run hot water over the lid to create steam and equalize the pressure.
fishingspree2

Homework Statement

A perfectly fitting pot and its lid often stick after
cooking, and it becomes very difficult to open the lid when
the pot cools down. Explain why this happens and what you
would do to open the lid.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea why. All I know is that atmospheric pressure is applied to the lid and that the vapor inside the pot applies pressure against atmospheric pressure. Also, I have a question: is the vapor subject to atmospheric pressure? I am thinking that since the lid fits perfectly with the pot, the atmospheric pressure is only applied to the lid and not the vapor.

Can anyone help me?
Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd be inclined to look at this from the following point of view:

The internal temperature of the pot (even without the lid) is greater than the external temperature. And so the density of the air inside the pot is less than that of the external air (you feel hot air rising above it). When you put the lid on, and you let the contents cool, the internal conditions equalise with the surrounding atmospheric conditions. As the temperature drops, the internal pressure also drops. This lower internal pressure coupled with the atmospheric pressure pushing on the lid...

Last edited:

Why does the lid stick to the pan?

The lid may stick to the pan due to steam condensation, food residue, or a poorly fitted lid.

How can I prevent the lid from sticking to the pan?

To prevent the lid from sticking to the pan, make sure the lid and pan are clean and dry before use. You can also use cooking spray or a small amount of oil on the rim of the pan to create a barrier.

Why does the lid stick more to certain types of pans?

The lid may stick more to certain types of pans, such as stainless steel, due to their rougher surface and lack of non-stick coating. This can create more friction and cause the lid to stick.

Is it safe to forcefully remove a stuck lid from a pan?

No, it is not safe to forcefully remove a stuck lid from a pan. This can cause the lid or pan to break, leading to potential injury. It is best to use gentle pressure or heat to loosen the lid.

Can I use a lid that has been stuck to a pan?

It is not recommended to use a lid that has been stuck to a pan, as it may have been damaged or contaminated during the process. It is best to replace the lid with a new one.