Negative pole of magnet deflects electrons?

In summary, a video about cathode ray tubes discussed how the negative pole of a magnet can deflect an electron beam while the positive pole can attract it. This is due to the perpendicular direction of the magnetic field and the motion of the beam. This can be visualized with a photo of an electron beam being bent into a circle by magnetic solenoid coils.
cnidocyte
I watched a video there about cathode ray tubes and the guy in the video demonstrated the negative pole of a magnet deflecting the beam and the positive pole attracting the beam. I know that moving electrical charges create magnetic fields but I didn't know their magnetic fields always deflect negative magnetic poles. I'm having trouble visualizing this. Doesn't a moving electron have a positive and negative magnetic pole just like any other particle?

Physics news on Phys.org
Poles of magnets neither attract nor repel beams of moving electric charges. Magnets do deflect beams, but in a direction perpendicular to the magnetic field. The force on the beam is always perpendicular to the direction of motion, so the beam is bent into a circle.

So the force on the beam is perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the direction of motion.

I attach a thumbnail photo of an electron beam in a vacuum tube being bent into a circle by a pair of Helmholtz (magnetic solenoid) coils.

Bob S

Attachments

• electron e over m6.jpg
    electron e over m6.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 585

1. What is the negative pole of a magnet?

The negative pole of a magnet is the end of the magnet that seeks the magnetic north pole and repels other negative poles. It is also known as the south pole.

2. How does the negative pole of a magnet deflect electrons?

The negative pole of a magnet produces a magnetic field that exerts a force on charged particles, such as electrons. This force causes the electrons to move in a curved path, or deflect, towards the positive pole of the magnet.

3. Why do electrons move towards the positive pole of a magnet?

Electrons are negatively charged particles, so they are attracted to the positive pole of a magnet. The magnetic field produced by the negative pole of the magnet exerts a force on the electrons, causing them to move towards the positive pole.

4. What is the relationship between magnetism and electricity?

Magnetism and electricity are closely related, as both involve the movement of charged particles. Magnets can create electric currents, and electric currents can create magnetic fields. This relationship is described by Maxwell's equations.

5. How is the deflection of electrons by a magnet used in technology?

The deflection of electrons by a magnet is used in various technologies, such as in cathode ray tubes for televisions and computer monitors. It is also used in particle accelerators and mass spectrometers to manipulate and analyze charged particles.