Understanding the Proof of Solution Sets in Linear Systems

• Thread starter miglo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help in understanding a proof in Jim Hefferon's Linear Algebra book. They provide a link to the book and mention that the proof is about solution sets of linear systems. The person seeking help also mentions their background in math and their interest in learning linear algebra.
miglo
so I've been reading jim hefferon's linear algebra book
i don't know if anyone on the forum has seen it, but I am only on the first chapter and I am stuck with a proof
the proof is about the solution sets of linear systems, basically how a general solution can be described as a particular solution + a homogenous solution, that right there i understand(at least i think i understand it) but when he goes on to the proof i get lost, this is not homework or anything that was assigned to me, just some self studying I am doing on linear algebra and would really like to understand the proof

heres the link to the book
http://joshua.smcvt.edu/linearalgebra/ the proof starts on page 20 and he breaks it up into two parts

if anyone could please check it out and help me understand the proof, it would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
yeah, didnt know it was on wikibooks

can you help me out?

I'm sorry, this is a much higher level of math than I can understand. But I thought I could help by finding that page for you.

ohh i see, its ok
ive only gone up to calculus ab in high school, and well i was never introduced to any sort of proofs during calculus ab, maybe i should learn calculus bc or calculus 2, and multivariable calculus first, then start linear algebra
the reason why i decided to learn linear algebra was because it looked really interesting to me, but I am not sure if it requires calculus 1-3 as a prerequisite to fully understand it

What is a proof?

A proof is a logical argument that shows that a statement or mathematical proposition is true using a series of established axioms, definitions, and previously proven theorems.

Why is understanding proof important?

Understanding proof is important because it allows us to verify the validity of a mathematical statement or argument. It also helps us to build upon existing knowledge and make new discoveries.

What are the key components of a proof?

The key components of a proof are the statement to be proven, the assumptions or axioms used, the logical steps or deductions, and the conclusion. A proof should also be well-organized and clearly written.

What are common challenges in understanding proofs?

Some common challenges in understanding proofs include unfamiliar notation, complex language or concepts, and the need for strong deductive reasoning skills. It may also be difficult to visualize abstract mathematical concepts.

How can one improve their understanding of proofs?

To improve understanding of proofs, one can practice reading and writing proofs, seek out explanations from reliable sources, and work on developing logical reasoning skills. It can also be helpful to discuss proofs with others and ask for clarification when needed.