Finding Generators for a Group G when Generators for Imh and Kerh are Known

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of sets of generators for im(h) and ker(h) to produce a set of generators for G. It also mentions the group extension problem and the existence of a short exact sequence. The conversation concludes with a proposed solution using the generators of ker(f) and im(f) as a generating set for G.
Bacle
Hi, Algebraists:

Say h:G-->G' is a homomorphism between groups, and that we know a set
of generators {ki} for Imh:=h(G)<G' , and we also know of a set of generators
{b_j} for Kerh . Can we use these two sets {ki} and {bj} of generators for
Imh and Kerh respectively, to produce a set of generators for G itself?

It looks a bit like the group extension problem (which I know very little about,
unfortunately).

This is what I have tried so far :

We get a Short Exact Sequence:

1 -->Kerh -->G-->Imh -->1

But I am not sure this sequence necessarily splits (if it doesn't split, then you must acquit!)

It would seem like we could pull-back generators of Imh back into G, i.e., for any g in G, we can write h(g)=Product{$k_i$ $e_i$} of generators in h(G).

Similarly, we know that G/Kerh is Isomorphic to h(G) , and that g~g' iff h(g)=h(g') ( so that,the isomorphism h':G/Kerh-->h(G) is given by h'([g]):=h(g) )

But I get kind of lost around here.

Any Ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

My thoughts are this:

Take [tex]\{a_1,...,a_n\}[/tex] generators of ker(f), and take [tex]\{b_1,...,b_m\}[/tex]generators of im(f). For every bi, we can find a ci such that [tex]f(c_i)=b_i[/tex]. Then [tex]\{a_1,...,a_n,b_1,...,b_m\}[/tex] is a generating set for G.

Indeed, take g in G, then we can write f(g) as

[tex]f(g)=b_{i_1}...b_{i_j}=f(c_{i_1})...f(c_{i_j})=f(c_{i_1}...c_{i_j})[/tex]

Thus

[tex]f(gc_{i_1}^{-1}...c_{i_j}^{-1})\in Ker(f)[/tex],

so we can write

[tex]gc_{i_1}^{-1}...c_{i_j}^{-1}=a_{k_1}...a_{k_l}[/tex],

so that follows

[tex]g=c_{i_1}...c_{i_j}a_{k_1}...a_{k_l}[/tex]

We have writte g as a combination of the suitable elements, so the set [tex]\{a_1,...,a_n,c_1,...,c_m\}[/tex] is generating...

1. What is a generator in a group?

A generator in a group is an element that can generate all the other elements in the group through repeated multiplication. In other words, by taking powers of the generator, all the elements in the group can be obtained.

2. How do you find generators for a group when generators for Imh and Kerh are known?

To find generators for a group when generators for Imh (the image of a homomorphism) and Kerh (the kernel of a homomorphism) are known, you can use the fundamental theorem of homomorphisms. This theorem states that the image of a homomorphism is isomorphic to the quotient group of the original group by the kernel. By finding generators for the quotient group, you can then map them back to the original group to find generators.

3. Can a group have more than one generator?

Yes, a group can have more than one generator. In fact, a group can have infinitely many generators. For example, the group of integers under addition has infinitely many generators, as any non-zero integer can be a generator.

4. How do generators help in understanding a group?

Generators play a crucial role in understanding the structure of a group. By finding generators, we can reduce the study of a group to a smaller set of elements. This can help in proving properties of the group and understanding its subgroups and quotient groups.

5. Can generators be used to determine the order of a group?

Yes, generators can be used to determine the order of a group. The order of a group is the number of elements in the group, and it is equal to the number of times the generator needs to be multiplied with itself to obtain the identity element. For finite groups, this can be a useful way of determining the order without having to list out all the elements.