Advice for aspiring engineer student

In summary, the person is unsure of which engineering program to pursue due to limited options within their area. They are considering taking basic classes at a community college and transferring, or potentially living in an off-campus student apartment. They have decided to pursue an online program at Drexel and then an MS in Software engineering at Embry Riddle.
jonq1987
I don't have a car and the only engineering program in my area within bus limits is an associates in applied science program but i already have an AS in something else so what should I do? Devry has an ABET accredited electronic engineering program but I'm not sure if I should go there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered loans to pay for a dorm? If you didn't get into a bona fide engineering program maybe you can go to a community college, take the basic math, science, humanities classes and transfer?

Agreed with the post above. You may qualify for grants or scholarships too, which don't have to be paid back. Although you may find it cheaper (Cheaper for sure around here) to live in a off-campus student apartment. You get matched with random roommates, but you can probably find one that comes with utilities and a private bedroom/bathroom and will be cheaper than a dorm room. At a lot of uni's these even have shuttles that take you to and from campus for free, definitely check it out.

osnarf said:
Agreed with the post above. You may qualify for grants or scholarships too, which don't have to be paid back. Although you may find it cheaper (Cheaper for sure around here) to live in a off-campus student apartment. You get matched with random roommates, but you can probably find one that comes with utilities and a private bedroom/bathroom and will be cheaper than a dorm room. At a lot of uni's these even have shuttles that take you to and from campus for free, definitely check it out.

Thanks for the input guys, but I found an awesome online program at Drexel. A BS in Computing Technology and then an MS in Software engineering at Embry Riddle on campus.

I understand the importance of making informed decisions when it comes to education and career paths. It is great that you are considering pursuing a degree in engineering, as it is a field that offers many opportunities for growth and impact.

In terms of your current situation, I would recommend exploring all of your options before making a decision. While the associates in applied science program may be the only one within your bus limits, it is important to consider if it aligns with your long-term goals and if it will provide you with the necessary skills and knowledge for your desired career path.

You mentioned that Devry has an ABET accredited electronic engineering program, which is definitely a positive aspect to consider. ABET accreditation is a rigorous process that ensures the program meets high standards of quality and prepares students for the engineering profession. It may be worth reaching out to current or past students of the program to get their insights and experiences.

Additionally, you could also look into online programs or programs at other universities that may offer a more convenient location or schedule for you. It is important to weigh the pros and cons of each option and consider factors such as cost, curriculum, and job placement opportunities.

Ultimately, the decision should be based on what will best suit your individual needs and goals. I encourage you to conduct thorough research and seek advice from academic advisors, current engineers, and other professionals in the field to help guide your decision. With dedication and determination, I am confident that you will find the right path for your engineering education and career.

What are the most important qualities for an aspiring engineer student?

The most important qualities for an aspiring engineer student are strong problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, creativity, attention to detail, and strong communication skills.

What are some tips for balancing coursework and extracurricular activities as an engineering student?

Some tips for balancing coursework and extracurricular activities as an engineering student include creating a schedule and sticking to it, prioritizing tasks, and learning to say no to activities that may interfere with coursework.

How can an aspiring engineer student gain hands-on experience in their field?

An aspiring engineer student can gain hands-on experience by participating in internships, co-ops, or research projects, joining engineering clubs or organizations, and participating in engineering competitions.

What is the best way to prepare for a career in engineering?

The best way to prepare for a career in engineering is to pursue a degree in a specific engineering field, gain hands-on experience through internships and projects, and continually develop technical and soft skills through coursework and extracurricular activities.

What are some common challenges faced by engineering students, and how can they be overcome?

Some common challenges faced by engineering students include heavy workload, difficult coursework, and time management. These challenges can be overcome by developing effective study habits, seeking help from professors or tutors, and utilizing time management techniques such as setting priorities and breaking tasks into smaller, manageable chunks. Building a support network of peers and mentors can also help in overcoming these challenges.