Proving covariant component is physical component times scaling factor

In summary, the conversation discusses the physical components of the gradient in different coordinate systems and the relationship between physical and covariant components. It is found that in the case of gradients, the covariant components are equal to the physical components multiplied by the scaling factors. It is questioned whether this relationship holds for any vector or only for gradients of scalar fields. An example of a vector that does not follow this relationship is given.
Monsterman222

Homework Statement

The problem is from Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences, 3rd Ed. Ch10, Sec. 10, Q4. My question is a bit subtle as I have actually figured out the problem, just that I don't understand my solution. The problem reads:

4) What are the physical components of the gradient in polar coordinates? [See (9.1)]. The partial derivatives in (10.5) are the covariant components of [itex]\nabla u[/itex]. What relation do you deduce between physical and covariant components? Answer the same questions for spherical coordinates, and for an orthogonal coordinate system with scale factors [itex]h_{1}, h_{2}, h_{3}[/itex].

Homework Equations

And we are given:

(9.1) [itex]\nabla u= \hat{e}_{r}\frac{\partial u}{\partial r} + \hat{e}_{\theta}\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta} + \hat{e}_{z}\frac{\partial u}{\partial z} [/itex]

(10.5) [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x'_{i}} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial x_{j}}\frac{\partial x_{j}}{\partial x'_{i}} = \frac{\partial x_{j}}{\partial x'_{i}}\frac{\partial u}{\partial x_{j}}[/itex]

as well as the definition given in the book of a covariant vector:

(*) [itex]V'_{i} = \frac{\partial x_{j}}{\partial x'_{i}} V_{j}[/itex].

and

(**) [itex]\nabla u = \sum_{i=1}^{3} \hat{e}_{i} \frac{1}{h_{i}} \frac{\partial u}{\partial x_{i}}.[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that the relationship in these situations is that the covariant components of [itex]\nabla u[/itex] are the physical components multiplied by the scaling factors. This is seen by looking at Eq. (**), for [itex]\hat{e}_{i}[/itex], the physical component is [itex]\frac{1}{h_{i}} \frac{\partial u}{\partial x_{i}}[/itex] and the covariant component is [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x_{i}}[/itex].

My question is: Does this relationship hold for any vector and not just gradients of scalar fields? How do we know? For example, I could define a vector V to be

[tex]\vec V = \hat{e}_{r}\frac{\partial u}{\partial r} + \hat{e}_{\theta}\frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta} + \hat{e}_{\phi}\frac{1}{r sin(\theta)}\frac{\partial u}{\partial \phi}[/tex].

Notice the middle term on right hand side has no scaling factor (this is not a gradient, I just made it up). This vector seems not to obey the relation between the physical components and covariant components.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds similar to me, I never understand my solutions; monkey see, monkey do.

1. What does it mean to prove that a covariant component is equal to the physical component times a scaling factor?

Proving that a covariant component is equal to the physical component times a scaling factor means showing that a certain physical quantity has a mathematical representation that can be broken down into two parts: a physical component that represents the actual value of the quantity, and a scaling factor that accounts for any changes in units or coordinates. This is a fundamental concept in physics and is often used in equations to accurately represent physical phenomena.

2. How is this relationship between covariant components and physical components derived?

This relationship is derived from the concept of coordinate transformations in physics. When changing from one set of coordinates to another, the physical components of a quantity may remain the same, but the covariant components will change. The scaling factor is used to adjust for these changes in order to maintain the relationship between the covariant and physical components.

3. Can this relationship be applied to all physical quantities?

Yes, this relationship can be applied to all physical quantities that have a mathematical representation. This includes vectors, tensors, and other quantities that are commonly used in physics and mathematics. However, it is important to note that the specific scaling factor may vary depending on the type of quantity being represented.

4. How does proving this relationship help in understanding physical phenomena?

Proving this relationship helps in understanding physical phenomena by providing a way to accurately represent and analyze physical quantities. By breaking down a quantity into its physical and covariant components, it becomes easier to understand how the quantity changes under different coordinate systems or units. This is particularly useful in fields such as relativity, where different frames of reference may be used.

5. Are there any limitations or exceptions to this relationship?

While this relationship holds true for most physical quantities, there are some exceptions and limitations. For example, in quantum mechanics, certain quantities may not have well-defined physical or covariant components. In addition, there may be cases where the scaling factor is not a constant, but instead depends on the specific coordinate system being used. Overall, it is important to carefully consider the context and assumptions when applying this relationship to physical phenomena.