Photo of Orion Nebula Taken 2 Weeks Ago

In summary: And this was funny http://www.pbs.org/seeinginthedark/astronomy-topics/light-pollution.htmlPretty nice, Drakkith. Astrophotography can be a very demanding hobby, even in these days of digital sensors.
Drakkith
Mentor
Hey all! Just sharing my photo of the Orion Nebula I managed to take about 2 weeks ago. Managed to get this sucker RIGHT before sunrise. Not the greatest picture ever, but I am proud of it.
[PLAIN]http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/3486/m422.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
NICE! I live in London and on a good clear night I get to see perhaps five stars. I'd love to be able to see the sky like this.

Great job Drakkith!

I remember the first time I actually was able to see the milky way when I was in upsate New York.

And this was funny
When a massive power outage struck southern California in the 1990s, Los Angeles residents reportedly called 911 to express alarm about strange clouds hovering overhead; they were seeing the Milky Way for the first time.

http://www.pbs.org/seeinginthedark/astronomy-topics/light-pollution.html

Pretty nice, Drakkith. Astrophotography can be a very demanding hobby, even in these days of digital sensors.

turbo said:
Pretty nice, Drakkith. Astrophotography can be a very demanding hobby, even in these days of digital sensors.

Tell me about it! I just spend $1500 on a new mount because my telescope was sold to me with a mount that could barely support it. Add in a camera and other equipment and I can't even balance the scope now!

Drakkith said:
Hey all! Just sharing my photo of the Orion Nebula I managed to take about 2 weeks ago. Managed to get this sucker RIGHT before sunrise. Not the greatest picture ever, but I am proud of it.

Excellent shot! I get to try around October. Are you using any filters?

Andy Resnick said:
Excellent shot! I get to try around October. Are you using any filters?

Just RGB filters.

Beautiful shot, drakkith! I love it!

Nice! What gear are you using for your AP setup?

Orion Nebula is a toughie because there are so many features that you might want to capture. Drakkith's image features the Trapezium, which is always really burned out if you want to capture the fainter detail in the outer regions.

I shot this one back in the bad old film days. 6" f:8 Apo refractor, with Konika ISO 3200 film at prime focus with a 20 minute exposure. Notice the really nasty film grain and the lack of detail in the brighter part of the nebula. None of the stars in the star-forming region that Drakkith imaged even show up on my picture.
orion.jpg

Topher925 said:
Nice! What gear are you using for your AP setup?

Meade LXD75 10" SN, SBIG ST-2000 XM camera. No autoguiding. Normal RGB filters.

Great picture!

Evo said:

Oh, imagine their awe!

My first experience seeing the milky way was when visiting my ancestral village at late summer, 15yo. It was marvelous! I remember feeling so small looking towards something so vast and my mind tried to visualize traveling from one star to another.

1. What is the Orion Nebula?

The Orion Nebula, also known as Messier 42, is a famous diffuse nebula located in the constellation of Orion. It is one of the brightest and most easily recognizable nebulae in the night sky.

2. Why is this photo significant?

This photo of the Orion Nebula is significant because it was taken just 2 weeks ago, providing a recent and detailed view of this beautiful astronomical object. It allows us to observe any changes or developments in the nebula that may have occurred since the last photo was taken.

3. How was this photo taken?

This photo was most likely taken using a powerful telescope equipped with a high-resolution camera. The telescope collects the light from the nebula, while the camera captures the image and records it.

4. What can we learn from this photo?

By studying this photo, we can learn more about the structure, composition, and evolution of the Orion Nebula. We can also use this photo to compare and analyze previous images of the nebula, helping us to better understand its changes over time.

5. Is the Orion Nebula visible to the naked eye?

Yes, the Orion Nebula is visible to the naked eye from a dark and clear location. It is one of the few nebulae that can be seen without the use of a telescope, making it a popular target for amateur stargazers.