Calculating Velocity from Coordinates: Is it Right?

In summary, to find the slope of a plot of y values versus time, calculate delta y over delta t in a specific region. This gives one point to be plotted on a new velocity versus time graph. Each velocity value should be plotted above the midpoint of the corresponding time segment.
Crusaderking1

Homework Statement

I have the coords (5.0,0.5), (3.9,1.0), etc.(all can be eyeballed because of no slope.)

If I divided y/x = y of velocity vs time graph (sorry, I don't know how else to put it.)
I would get (5.0, 0.1) and respectively (3.9, .256) for the second cords, and these would be for the velocity vs time graph.

I think I am doing it wrong.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

You have a plot of y values versus time? To find the slope of this in some region, you calculate delta y and divide it by delta t, where delta y is the change in y, and delta t is the change in time, in that region. This gives you one point to be plotted on your new velocity versus time graph.

When you say same region, do you mean same line segments?

Crusaderking1 said:
When you say same region, do you mean same line segments?
I didn't anywhere say same region. I said some region, meaning any region. :smile:

Each velocity value you determine is best plotted as a point lying above the midpoint of the time segment, delta t, that was used in determining that velocity value.

NascentOxygen said:
I didn't anywhere say same region. I said some region, meaning any region. :smile:

Each velocity value you determine is best plotted as a point lying above the midpoint of the time segment, delta t, that was used in determining that velocity value.

Ok thanks.

1. What is the formula for calculating velocity from coordinates?

The formula for calculating velocity from coordinates is v = (xfinal - xinitial) / (tfinal - tinitial), where xfinal and xinitial are the final and initial position coordinates, and tfinal and tinitial are the final and initial time coordinates.

2. How do you determine the direction of velocity from coordinates?

The direction of velocity can be determined by looking at the sign of the velocity value. A positive velocity indicates motion in the positive direction, while a negative velocity indicates motion in the negative direction.

3. Can velocity be calculated from just two coordinates?

No, velocity cannot be accurately calculated from just two coordinates. It requires at least three coordinates (two position coordinates and one time coordinate) to calculate velocity.

4. What units are used for velocity in this calculation?

The units for velocity in this calculation depend on the units used for the position coordinates and time coordinates. For example, if the position coordinates are measured in meters and the time coordinates are measured in seconds, then the velocity will be in meters per second (m/s).

5. Is it possible to calculate velocity from non-linear coordinates?

No, the formula for calculating velocity from coordinates is only applicable for linear motion. Non-linear coordinates would require a different formula, such as the slope of a curve at a specific point.