Conservative Vector Field: Understanding Circulation and Potential Function

In summary: The potential function \arctan(x)+C works fine.* I mean the potential function \phi(x, y)=\arctan(\frac{y}{x})+C.In summary, the potential function for a vector field starting at the origin and going in the positive-y axis is -\arctan(\frac{y}{x})+C. However, when starting at the origin and going in the negative-y axis, the potential function is -\arctan(\frac{x}{y})+C.
Damidami
Let [itex] f(x,y) = ( \frac{-y}{x^2 + y^2}, \frac{x}{x^2 + y^2}) [/itex] with [itex] f : D \subset \mathbb{R}^2 \to \mathbb{R}^2 [/itex]

I know if I take [itex] D = D_1 = \mathbb{R}^2 - \{ (0,0) \} [/itex] the vector field is not conservative, for the circulation over a circunference centered at the origin does not equal zero.

But let's see what happens if I take [itex] D = D_2 = \{(x,y) \in \mathbb{R}^2 : (x,y) \neq (0,a), a \geq 0\} [/itex], that is [itex] \mathbb{R}^2 [/itex] without the ray starting at the origin and going in the positive-y axis.

With [itex] D_2 [/itex] one has [itex] f [/itex] has to be conservative, because the domain is simply connected, and it satisfices the necesary condition (jacobian continuous and symmetric). So together they satisfty a sufficient condition.

The problem arises when I want to calculate the potential function. I get

[itex] \phi'_x = \frac{-y}{x^2 + y^2}[/itex]
[itex] \phi'_y = \frac{x}{x^2 + y^2}[/itex]
so
[itex] \phi \approx - \arctan(\frac{x}{y}) + c(y) [/itex]
[itex] \phi \approx \arctan(\frac{y}{x}) + c(x) [/itex]

And can't see how to get the expression for the potential function.
Is it [itex] \phi(x,y) = \arctan(\frac{y}{x}) - \arctan(\frac{x}{y}) + c [/itex] ?Any idea what is happening here?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you remember the trig identity [itex] \arctan(x)+\arctan(\frac{1}{x})=\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]? Your expressions are in fact consistent :P The potential function [itex]\arctan(x)+C[/itex] works fine.

* I mean the potential function [itex]\phi(x, y)=\arctan(\frac{y}{x})+C[/itex].

Hi identity1,
Thanks for your reply.
Some things still I don't understand.
That equation [itex] \arctan(x) + \arctan(\frac{1}{x}) = \frac{\pi}{2} [/itex] seems to work only for positive real values of x, since for example
[itex] \arctan(-2) + \arctan(\frac{-1}{2}) = \frac{-\pi}{2} [/itex]

Say, for example, I want to calculate the circulation of [itex] f [/itex] with domain [itex]D_2 [/itex] from a curve that starts at [itex]A = (-1,1)[/itex] and ends at [itex]B=(1,1)[/itex]

If I use [itex]\phi_1(x,y) = -\arctan(\frac{x}{y}) + C[/itex]
[itex]\phi_1(B) - \phi_1(A) = \frac{\pi}{4} + \frac{\pi}{4} = \frac{\pi}{2} [/itex]

Instead if I use [itex]\phi_2(x,y) = \arctan(\frac{y}{x}) + C[/itex]
[itex]\phi_2(B) - \phi_2(A) = -\frac{\pi}{4} - \frac{\pi}{4} = \frac{-\pi}{2} [/itex]

So it changes the sign for the same curve oriented in the same direction from A to B.

Something seems to be wrong, the sign shouldn't change, doesn't it?
Thanks.

What is a conservative vector field?

A conservative vector field is a type of vector field in which the line integral along any closed curve is equal to zero. This means that the work done by the vector field on any closed path is independent of the path taken.

What is the significance of a conservative vector field?

The significance of a conservative vector field is that it represents a field in which energy is conserved. This means that the work done by the vector field is reversible and no energy is lost or gained in the process.

How can you determine if a vector field is conservative?

A vector field can be determined to be conservative by checking if it satisfies the condition of being path independent. This can be done by calculating the line integral of the vector field along different paths and seeing if they all result in the same value.

What is the relationship between conservative vector fields and potential functions?

Every conservative vector field has a corresponding potential function, which is a scalar field. The gradient of the potential function is equal to the conservative vector field.

What are some real-life applications of conservative vector fields?

Conservative vector fields have applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. Examples include gravitational fields, electric fields, and conservative forces in mechanics.