Discharging capacitor, the differential equation

In summary, applying Kirchhoff's loop rule with an ideal emf device with potential difference V, a capacitor with capacitance C, and a resistor with resistance R, you get: V - q/C - iR = 0 or V = q/C + dq/dt*R. For charging a capacitor, this makes sense. But for a discharging capacitor in the same circuit but without the emf device, you have the differential equation: q/C + dq/dt*R = 0. But this makes no sense to me.
Sefrez
First applying Kirchhoff's loop rule with an ideal emf device with potential difference V, a capacitor with capacitance C, and a resistor with resistance R, you get:
V - q/C - iR = 0 or V = q/C + dq/dt*R

For charging a capacitor. This makes sense. But for a discharging capacitor in the same circuit but without the emf device, you have the differential equation: q/C + dq/dt*R = 0

But this makes no sense to me. The current is in the other direction when the capacitor is being discharged. The higher potential side marks the direction of that current. That being said, applying Kirchhoff's loop rule, you end up with -iR + q/C = 0 which is not the same.

Am I applying the rule incorrectly?

Physics news on Phys.org
if i am not wrong dq/dt is negative in case of discharging

Oh, that might be correct. It has to be stated as negative in the differential to indicate decreasing of charge. My book through me off. It simply used the excuse that the battery is no longer present and thus V = q/C + dq/dt*R becomes 0 = q/C + dq/dt*R. When really there is more going on. Thanks. :)

Sefrez said:
q/C + dq/dt*R = 0

But this makes no sense to me. The current is in the other direction when the capacitor is being discharged. The higher potential side marks the direction of that current. That being said, applying Kirchhoff's loop rule, you end up with -iR + q/C = 0 which is not the same.

Am I applying the rule incorrectly?

The homogeneous part of the equation is the same, but solving the equation with the initial condition q=Q0 at t=0, you get negative current and negative dq/dt. Kushan is right, the current flows in the opposite direction during discharge and the charge of the capacitor decreases which makes dq/dt negative.

ehild

Yeah, I see. Thanks to both of you!

1. How do you discharge a capacitor?

To discharge a capacitor, you can either short circuit it by connecting the two terminals with a conductor, or you can allow it to naturally discharge over time.

2. What is the equation for discharging a capacitor?

The differential equation for discharging a capacitor is Q = Q0e-t/RC where Q is the charge on the capacitor at time t, Q0 is the initial charge on the capacitor, R is the resistance of the circuit, and C is the capacitance of the capacitor.

3. How does the resistance affect the discharging of a capacitor?

A higher resistance will slow down the discharging process, as less current will flow through the circuit. This means that it will take longer for the capacitor to fully discharge.

4. Can a capacitor discharge indefinitely?

No, a capacitor cannot discharge indefinitely. As it discharges, the charge on the capacitor decreases and eventually reaches 0. This is because the electric field between the two plates of the capacitor decreases as the charge decreases, until there is no more electric field and the capacitor is fully discharged.

5. What are some real-life applications of discharging capacitors?

Discharging capacitors have various uses in electronics, such as in camera flashes, strobe lights, and defibrillators. They are also used in power supplies to provide a temporary source of energy when needed.