Half-life exercise, radioactive/non-radioactive ratio

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with a high school level worksheet on radioactivity and half-life. The student is struggling with the concept of ratios and cutting in half, and seeks clarification on how to solve the problems. They are given equations and a helpful resource to aid in their understanding. The first problem involves calculating the amount of radioactive material remaining after a certain amount of time and estimating when the ratio of radioactive to non-radioactive material will be 1:10. The second problem involves determining the number of times a fingernail must be cut in half to reach the size of an atom, with the student arriving at a large number of cuts needed.
mrcrazyog
Hey guys,
I've been given a worksheet with a couple of questions concerning radioactivity, half-life etc. It is high school level and for me, it seems like the first year doing physics as our current teacher is the first one who really knows something about the subject. :) So please be patient with me. :)

Homework Statement

"Consider having one kilogram of radioactive nitrogen 13 isotope – half-life is 10 minutes. How much nitrogen will you have after 30 minutes? When is the ratio between radioactive and non-radioactive material 1:31? Estimate when the ratio is 1:10."
So,
m0 = 1 kilogram
mt (final mass) = x
t = 30 minutes
tHL (half-life) = 10 minutes

Homework Equations

mt = m0/2^x

The Attempt at a Solution

mt = 1/2^3 = 0.125 kg (since 3 H-Ls have occurred in the 30mins.) But that is everything I got to. I'm completely lost with the ratios. Could you help me, please?

Next problem:

Homework Statement

"How many times do you have to cut your fingernail in half to separate atoms from each other? How many times to get to atom’s nucleus? (suppose the fingernail is 0.5 cm long)

Homework Equations

Well, as far as I know, the size of an atom should be equal to 10^-10 m while the size of a nucleus is 10^-14 m.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I need to convert the fingernail's size to a negative power so that it is easier to compute the quotient. So, 0.5 cm = 0.005 m = 5x10^-3 m. And I'm done.. :/ Could someone please explain the process in detail?

Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
This might help
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nuclear/halfli.html#c1

In one half-life, approximately half of a radionuclide will decay. Assuming that a radio nuclide decays to a non-radioactive (inert or stable) nuclide, in one half-life, the ratio of radioactive to nonradioactive is 1:1. In two half-lives, one-quarter (1/4) of a radio nuclide remains, which means that 3/4 of the atoms would be non-radioactive, so the ratio (r:nr) = 1:3. What fraction (or proportion) of r atoms remain such that r:nr = 1:31.

The cutting in half is a similar concept. One halves the length, with each cut, so a cut is treated like a half-life.

Oh, thanks! So, if I understand it correctly the answer to the first one will be after 5 half-lives, am I right?

Because 1/2^5 = 1/32 -> 1/32 remains radioactive while 31/32 have decayed, i.e. they are not radioactive -> the ratio is 1:31. Correct?

To the second exercise - I understand the concept is the same but the negative powers keep confusing me. I know that I can rewrite 0.005 m as 5x10^-3 m, but what about the rest? The next half will be 0.0025 m - and I don't know how to rewrite it so that I can easily compare it to the size of an atom at the end. Any help?

mrcrazyog said:
Oh, thanks! So, if I understand it correctly the answer to the first one will be after 5 half-lives, am I right?

Because 1/2^5 = 1/32 -> 1/32 remains radioactive while 31/32 have decayed, i.e. they are not radioactive -> the ratio is 1:31. Correct?

To the second exercise - I understand the concept is the same but the negative powers keep confusing me. I know that I can rewrite 0.005 m as 5x10^-3 m, but what about the rest? The next half will be 0.0025 m - and I don't know how to rewrite it so that I can easily compare it to the size of an atom at the end. Any help?
Answer to first part of the first problem is correct. Now one has to estimate when the ratio is 1:10.

In the second problem, let x be the remaining length after cutting (in half) N times. Starting with L, after one cut, one has x=L/2, after 2 cuts one has x=L/4, or (L/2)2, now find the expression for x after N cuts.

Ok - so the 1:10 ratio will be obtained somewhere between 3 and 4 half-lives, right? 2^3 = 8, 2^4 = 16... I would say something like 3.3 half-lives...?

To the second problem - if I know the final size has to be 10^-10 meters (the size of an atom), the equation should be as follows:
10^(-10) = 0.005 (size of the fingernail) /2^x
Now solve for 2^x:
2^x = 0.005/ 10^(-10) = 50,000,000 half-lives
So, we would have to cut it 50,000,000 times in order to match the size of an atom... Is it right? The figure seems to be quite huge :D

1. What is Half-life exercise?

Half-life exercise is a scientific activity used to understand the concept of half-life, which is the amount of time it takes for half of a substance to decay. In this exercise, a radioactive or non-radioactive substance is used to demonstrate the concept.

2. What is a radioactive/non-radioactive ratio?

The radioactive/non-radioactive ratio is the ratio of the amount of radioactive atoms to the amount of non-radioactive atoms in a substance. This ratio can help determine the half-life of a substance and its rate of decay.

3. How is the half-life of a substance determined through the exercise?

The half-life of a substance can be determined by measuring the radioactive/non-radioactive ratio at different time intervals. As the substance decays, the ratio will change, and by plotting this change on a graph, the half-life can be calculated.

4. What is the significance of understanding half-life and radioactive/non-radioactive ratio?

Understanding half-life and the radioactive/non-radioactive ratio is crucial in various fields of science, including medicine, environmental science, and nuclear physics. It allows us to predict the decay of radioactive substances and their potential effects on living organisms and the environment.

5. Can this exercise be performed with any substance?

Yes, this exercise can be performed with any substance that has a measurable radioactive or non-radioactive component. However, it is essential to follow proper safety protocols and dispose of any radioactive materials properly.