Inverse Laplace Transfrom - Taylor Series/Asymptotic Series?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the inverse Laplace transform of a given function and using an asymptotic series to simplify the expression. The solution involves using the Bromwich inversion formula and a branch cut. The difficulty level may be high for those with limited mathematical capabilities.
chrissimpson

Homework Statement

W(x,s)=(1/s)*(sinh(x*s^0.5))/(sinh(s^0.5))

Find the inverse laplace transform of W(x,s), i.e. find w(x,t).

Answer:

w(x,t)= x + Ʃ ((-1)^n)/n) * e^(-t*(n*pi)^2) * sin(n*pi*x)

summing between from n=1 to ∞

Homework Equations

An asymptotic series..?!

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking the Taylor series for sinh 'simplifies' the expression to:

W(x,s)=(1/s)*(x + x^3 + x^5 +x^7 ...)

You can write this as:

W(x,s)=(x/s)+(1/s)*(x^3 + x^5 + x^7...)

W(x,s)= (x/s) + Ʃ(x^2n+1)/s

summing between n=1 and ∞

This is where I think I begin to run into trouble (unless I already have!) as I think I would now form:

w(x,t)= x + Ʃ(x^2n+1)

There is some mention in a similar question that an asymptotic series was used, but I can't work out how to make this fit in with the question!

Any help would be really appreciated!

Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
I got involved with things like this when I was looking at plasma physics, you want to use a branch cut in you inverse transform and usae the Bromwich inversion formula.

Cheers! I'll have a look into that. Any idea how painfully difficult this will be - I'm coming towards the (current) limit of my mathematical capabilities with this non-homogeneous PDE stuff!

1. What is the purpose of using Taylor series in the inverse Laplace transform?

Taylor series is used in the inverse Laplace transform to approximate the inverse transform of a function that does not have a closed-form solution. This allows us to find an approximate solution that is easier to work with and can be used to solve real-world problems.

2. Can Taylor series be used for all functions in the inverse Laplace transform?

No, Taylor series can only be used for functions that are analytic, meaning they have derivatives of all orders. If a function is not analytic, other methods such as asymptotic series may be used to approximate the inverse Laplace transform.

3. How is the accuracy of a Taylor series approximation determined?

The accuracy of a Taylor series approximation depends on the number of terms included in the series. The more terms included, the closer the approximation will be to the actual inverse Laplace transform. However, including too many terms can lead to computational errors and may not be necessary for the desired level of accuracy.

4. Can asymptotic series be used instead of Taylor series in the inverse Laplace transform?

Yes, asymptotic series can be used as an alternative to Taylor series in the inverse Laplace transform. Asymptotic series are typically used for functions that are not analytic and can provide a more accurate approximation in these cases.

5. Are there any limitations to using Taylor series in the inverse Laplace transform?

One limitation of using Taylor series is that it relies on the existence of derivatives of all orders for a function. This means that it cannot be used for functions that are not analytic. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximation may be limited by the number of terms included in the series and the complexity of the function being transformed.