Trig Integration Discrepancy in Fourier Series Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses a question on Fourier Series in Circuit Analysis and the discrepancies between the calculated answers and the answer provided in the book. The question involves fairly straightforward integrals and the use of MAPLE to confirm the correct answers. The conversation also mentions the use of identities such as cos (Pi/2) = (-1)^(n-1)/2 and cos (Pi) = (-1)^n. The expert summarizer notes that the answer in the book uses the identity cos (n*Pi/2) = (-1)^n/2 instead of (-1)^n, which can only produce +1 or -1 and cannot replace cos (n*Pi/2).
NewtonianAlch

Homework Statement

This question is part of Fourier Series in Circuit Analysis. There were fairly straightforward integrals which I calculated and confirmed using MAPLE to be correct, however the book gives somewhat different answers. I would presume that what I did was correct and the solutions manual made an error, however since it's a fairly large question with answers being carried forward I want to make doubly sure. Sorry about the size of the images, I will remove them after the problem

This is the integral essentially, the definite integral from 2 to 4 is left out because it's zero,

f(t) = 5 for 0 < t < 1
f(t) = 10 for 1 < t < 2

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/1379/dsc0007ob.jpg

Homework Equations

cos (Pi/2) = (-1)[itex]^{\frac{n-1}{2}}[/itex]

cos (Pi) = (-1)[itex]^{n}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer came to this:

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/7613/dsc0008ryz.jpg

EDIT: cos(nPi/2) goes to (-1)^n/2 - still doesn't reconcile my answers with the book though.

The MAPLE output was:

[itex]5\,{\frac {1+\cos \left( 1/2\,n\pi \right) -2\,\cos \left( n\pi
\right) }{n\pi }}[/itex]

The answer in the book was (last line before the table):

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/9624/dsc0009cm.jpg

As you can imagine, because the answers are different, the values in the table are going to be different and hence whatever I have to plot afterwards will be different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
##(-1)^{integer}## cannot produce any zeros, it can only produce +1 or -1. So it doesn't replace ##cos(n \pi / 2)##.

I should have been clearer, cos (n*Pi/2) is replaced by (-1)^n/2

So if n = 3, I'm guessing that term is ignored because you can't compute that. At least that's the identity they gave in the book.

1. What is a basic trigonometric integral?

A basic trigonometric integral is an integral that involves trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, tangent, and their inverses. It is used to find the area under a curve that involves these functions.

2. How do you solve a basic trigonometric integral?

To solve a basic trigonometric integral, you need to use the appropriate trigonometric identities and integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts. You also need to have a good understanding of the properties and graphs of trigonometric functions.

3. Can you give an example of a basic trigonometric integral?

One example of a basic trigonometric integral is ∫sinx dx. This integral can be solved by using the substitution u = cosx or by using the integration by parts method.

4. Why are basic trigonometric integrals important?

Basic trigonometric integrals are important because they are used in many areas of mathematics and science, such as physics, engineering, and calculus. They also have practical applications in calculating areas and volumes in real-life situations.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving basic trigonometric integrals?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving basic trigonometric integrals include forgetting to use the appropriate trigonometric identities, making algebraic errors, and forgetting to apply the correct integration technique. It is also important to always check your answer for accuracy and to use proper notation and units.