Find the Values for which the function is continuous

In summary, to determine the values of k, L, m, and n such that the function g(x) is both continuous and differentiable at all points, we can use the fact that all polynomials are both continuous and differentiable for all x. This means that the only points we need to consider are x = -2 and x = 2. By setting up equations for these two points, we can simplify them to 2m - n + 8 - L = 0 and 2m - 4 + L - 1 = 0. However, we still need to consider the differentiability of the function.
mazz1801

Homework Statement

Determine the values of k,L,m and n such that the following function g(x) is continuous and differentiable at all points

Homework Equations

2x2-n if x<-2
mx+L if -2≤x<2
kx2+1 if x≥2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that for the function to be continuous the limit as x→c of f(x) must equal f(c)
And I am trying to make this function continuous for all values of k,L,m and n.

so I done the following
2x2-n = mx+L for x=-2
mx+L = kx2+1 for x= 2

and I simplified them to the following.
2m-n+5=0
2m-4k+L=0

From here I don't know what to do... I'm pretty sure that I am correct up to here but could someone just please tell me what to do now...
I don't know how to solve for 4 variables with only 2 equations

Physics news on Phys.org
just differentiate and then equate them to find.four eqn four unknown

mazz1801 said:

Homework Statement

Determine the values of k,L,m and n such that the following function g(x) is continuous and differentiable at all points

Homework Equations

2x2-n if x<-2
mx+L if -2≤x<2
kx2+1 if x≥2
You should know that all polynomials are both continuous and differentiable for all x so that only points in question are x= -2 and x= 2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that for the function to be continuous the limit as x→c of f(x) must equal f(c)
And I am trying to make this function continuous for all values of k,L,m and n.

so I done the following
2x2-n = mx+L for x=-2
mx+L = kx2+1 for x= 2

and I simplified them to the following.
2m-n+5=0
What happened to the "L"? At x= -2, the first equation becomes
2(-2)2- n= m(-2)+ L which simplifies to 8- n= -2m+ L or 2m- n+ 8- L= 0.

2m-4k+L=0
And here, what happened to the "1"? At x= 2, the second equation becomes m(2)+ L= k(4)+ 1 or 2m- 4+ L- 1= 0

From here I don't know what to do... I'm pretty sure that I am correct up to here but could someone just please tell me what to do now...
I don't know how to solve for 4 variables with only 2 equations
You have not yet said any thing about being "differentiable".

(Note, the derivative of a function is NOT necessarily differentiable but it does satisfy the "intermediate value property" so IF the limit from each side exist, then they must be equal.)

1. What does it mean for a function to be continuous?

A function is continuous if its graph is unbroken and has no holes or jumps. This means that the function can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper.

2. How do you determine if a function is continuous at a specific point?

To determine if a function is continuous at a specific point, you need to check if the limit of the function as x approaches that point is equal to the value of the function at that point. If they are equal, then the function is continuous at that point.

3. Can a function be continuous at some points and not others?

Yes, a function can be continuous at some points and not others. This is because a function can have different characteristics in different parts of its domain. It may be continuous in one part and discontinuous in another.

4. Are all polynomial functions continuous?

Yes, all polynomial functions are continuous. This is because polynomial functions are made up of terms that are continuous, and the sum or product of continuous functions is also continuous.

5. How do you find the values for which a function is continuous?

To find the values for which a function is continuous, you need to check the values where the function is defined and see if there are any points where the function is discontinuous. You can do this by analyzing the different parts of the function and determining if they meet the criteria for continuity.