Alternating Series Test/Test for Divergence

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the alternating series test and the test for divergence for determining the convergence or divergence of a series. It is mentioned that in some cases, the alternating component may be omitted when using the test for divergence, but it is important to note that the limit of the terms of the series, including the alternating component, must be considered. It is also mentioned that the divergence test can also be used to prove divergence by showing that the limit of the terms is not equal to 0. The conversation concludes that it is important to explicitly mention the inclusion or exclusion of the alternating component when using these tests.
Auskur
So I've been practicing several series that can be solved using the alternating series test, but I've came to a question that's been bothering me for sometime now.

If a series fails the alternating series test, will the test for divergence always prove it to be divergent?

Typically, in most examples that I find on the James Stewart website they completely omit the alternating component when using the test for divergence. Is this because it will make the limit not exist?

Some examples.

Ʃ n = 1 to ∞ {(-1)^n * 2^(1/n)}

The alternating series test fails, so in the solution they take the
lim n → ∞ 2^(1/n) = 1.

Ʃ n = 1 to ∞ {(-1)^n * ((2^n) / n^2))}

Similarly, the alternating series test fails, so they use the test for divergence.
Again, they fail to include the (-1)^n and conclude that

lim n → ∞ 2^n / n^2 = ∞ ∴ the series is divergent.

Why do they not include the (-1)^n, won't this make the limit not exist? Obviously, this will still prove the series to diverge, but which one is the correct way to do it? Should I write the limit does not exist or the limit = 1? Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are right. They need to include the [itex](-1)^n[/itex] in the limit. So you need to find the limit

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} (-1)^n 2^{1/n}[/tex]

which indeed won't exist.

However, it is obvious that [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} x_n=0[/itex] if and only if [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} |x_n|=0[/itex]. This shows that [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} (-1)^n 2^{1/n}[/tex] is nonzero because [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} 2^{1/n}[/itex] is nonzero.

So, they are also right. Instead of calculating the limit of the terms of the series, they calculate the limit of the absolute value. And because of that absolute value, the [itex](-1)^n[/itex] factor disappears.
I do feel that they should mention this explicitely.

Thank you. That was helpful : )

Just realize that an alternating series is only alternating when it has (-1)^n or (-1)^n+1. So if they posses either of these then you have to figure out what the entire summation is without that part. You then call it (a-sub n) the lim n→∞ of that function. It then has to equal 0 and be greater than (a-sub n+1). If it follows both of these then it will converge, if it doesn't then it diverges.

With this being said. Your example shows an alternating series, but when you take the lim n→+∞ you get 1. This is not 0 so you immediatly say the series is diverging.

Notice, by the way, that to prove a series, [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] divergent by the "divergence test" it is sufficient to prove that [itex]lim_{n\to\infty} a_n[/itex] is not 0. In fact, if an alternating series does not converge, then that limit does not even exist!

1. What is the Alternating Series Test?

The Alternating Series Test is a mathematical test used to determine the convergence or divergence of an alternating series. An alternating series is a series in which the signs of the terms alternate between positive and negative.

2. How does the Alternating Series Test work?

The Alternating Series Test states that if an alternating series satisfies two conditions - the terms of the series decrease in magnitude and the limit of the terms approaches zero - then the series is convergent. If either of these conditions is not met, the series is divergent.

3. What is the Test for Divergence?

The Test for Divergence is another mathematical test used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It states that if the limit of the terms of a series does not approach zero, then the series is divergent.

4. How is the Test for Divergence different from the Alternating Series Test?

The main difference between the two tests is that the Alternating Series Test is only applicable to alternating series, while the Test for Divergence can be applied to any series. The Test for Divergence also only requires one condition to be met for a series to be divergent, while the Alternating Series Test has two conditions for convergence.

5. Can the Alternating Series Test be used to determine absolute convergence?

No, the Alternating Series Test can only be used to determine whether an alternating series is convergent or divergent. To determine absolute convergence, other tests such as the Ratio Test or the Root Test must be used.