Vector Calculus: Area and Mass of a Region

In summary, integrals are a way of finding the area or volume of a region by dividing it into smaller rectangles and taking the limit as the size of the rectangles goes to 0. The expression for the area of a region R in the xy-plane is given by ∫∫dR, and for a region with mass density per unit area ρ(x,y), the mass is given by ∫∫ρdR. This is because dxdy acts as a "differential of area" and we can find the area or volume of a region by integrating over it.
Kushwoho44
Hi y'all.

Here is exactly what is stated on the theory page of my book:

Example: Area of a Region
The area of a region R in the xy-plane corresponds to the case where f(x,y)=1.

Area of R= ∫∫dR

Example: Mass of a Region
The mass of a region R in the xy-plane with mass density per unit area ρ(x,y) is given by:

Mass of R= ∫∫ρdR

I'm not at all understanding this first part of the theory, why is it that the area of the region R in the xy-plane is the case f(x,y)=1 and how did they obtain that express for the area R?

All help is immensely appreciated as I'm tearing my hair out over this.Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you understand about integrals? Most people are first introduced to integrals in the for [itex]\int_a^b f(x)dx[/itex] where it is defined as "the area of the region bounded by the graphs of y= f(x), y= 0, x= a, and x= b".

Once you start dealing with double integrals, since [itex]f(x)= \int_0^{f(x)} dy[/itex], it is easy to see that we can write that integral, and so that area, as [itex]\int_a^b\int_0^{f(x)} dy dx[/itex]. From that we can see that "dxdy" acts as a "differential of area". That is, we find the area of any region by integrating [itex]\int\int dx dy[/itex] over that region. Similarly, in three dimensions, we can find the volume of a region by integrating [itex]\int\int\int dxdydz[/itex] over that region.

Another way of reaching the same idea is to divide the region into small rectangles with sides parallel to the x and y axes and identifying the lengths of the sides as "[itex]\Delta x[/itex]" and "[itex]\Delta y[/itex]". Of course, the area of each such rectangle is [itex]\Delta x\Delta y[/itex] and the area of the whole region can be approximated by [itex]\sum \Delta x\Delta y[/itex]. "Approximate" because some of the region, near the bounds, will not fit neatly into those rectangles. But we can make it exact by taking the limit as the size of [itex]\Delta x[/itex] and [itex]\Delta y[/itex] go to 0. Of course, I have no idea what method your texts or courses used to introduce the double integral so I cannot be more precise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that, the stupid part I wasn't understanding was that f(x,y) maps onto z.

Makes perfect sense now.

1. What is Vector Calculus?

Vector Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector fields and their properties. It involves the use of vectors and their operations to solve problems related to calculus, such as finding the area and mass of a region.

2. How is Vector Calculus used in finding the area of a region?

In Vector Calculus, the area of a region is calculated using the double integral of a scalar function. This involves dividing the region into small rectangles and summing up their areas using the double integral formula.

3. What is the difference between surface area and area of a region in Vector Calculus?

The area of a region in Vector Calculus refers to the two-dimensional space enclosed by a curve or boundary. On the other hand, surface area refers to the three-dimensional space enclosed by a surface or solid object.

4. How is the mass of a region calculated using Vector Calculus?

The mass of a region is calculated using the triple integral of a scalar function, which represents the density of the region. Similar to finding the area, the region is divided into small cubes and their masses are summed up using the triple integral formula.

5. What are some real-world applications of Vector Calculus in finding area and mass of a region?

Vector Calculus has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to calculate the mass and center of mass of an object, determine the flow of fluids, and analyze electric and magnetic fields, among others.