Build Positron Accelerator | Safety Tips & Experiments

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of building a strong enough accelerator to produce positrons for a cloud chamber experiment. However, it is mentioned that this may not be safe or legal to do so. Alternatives, such as using an alpha source like a lantern mantle or smoke detector, are suggested.
PhysicsDad
Hello all,

My son and I have been doing experiments with a simple cloud chamber and I am curious what type of accelerator I might be able to build that would be strong enough to make positrons? Then I will use a magnet with the cloud chamber to show him that they are charged differently.

A note, I am aware that I will still need to research the proper safety precautions before actually using it.

Any suggestions or help with this project would be great.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You will not be able to build such an accelerator safely. (Or legally)

If you want something positive, try an alphs source like a lantern mantle or welding rods.

Thank you.

I also understand that smoke detectors have a small amount of americium. Would that produce enough particles to actually be useful?

Why would you want to start poking around a smoke detector, and risk contaminating your house with little bits of amercium when a latern mantle costs a dollar or two?

1. What is a positron accelerator?

A positron accelerator is a type of particle accelerator that uses electromagnetic fields to accelerate positrons, which are the antimatter counterpart of electrons. It is used in scientific research to study subatomic particles and their interactions.

2. How does a positron accelerator work?

A positron accelerator works by using an electric field to accelerate positrons and a magnetic field to steer them in a circular path. The positrons are then collided with other particles, such as protons or electrons, to study their interactions.

3. What are the safety considerations when building a positron accelerator?

Building a positron accelerator requires proper safety measures to be taken, as it involves high energy particles. This includes using proper shielding to protect against radiation, following safety protocols for handling radioactive materials, and ensuring proper maintenance of the equipment.

4. What are some common experiments conducted using a positron accelerator?

Positron accelerators are used in a wide range of experiments, including studying the structure of atoms and molecules, investigating the nature of antimatter, and exploring the properties of subatomic particles. They are also used in medical research and in the development of new technologies.

5. What are some safety tips for conducting experiments with a positron accelerator?

When conducting experiments with a positron accelerator, it is important to follow all safety protocols and guidelines. This includes wearing proper protective gear, such as lab coats and safety glasses, and ensuring that the accelerator is functioning properly before starting any experiments. It is also important to have a trained professional oversee the experiments and to properly dispose of any radioactive materials used.