Searching for Lost Money and Wallet in My Room

In summary: IN MY POCKET, I forget about it. In summary, the author lost her wallet and all of her ID, including her driver's license, while she was out drinking with her friends.
Gale
So, i got back from vacation today, and my mum helped me bring some stuff up to my room. Hugs, kisses, blah blah, and she slips me a 20. I pocket it. Then I'm sitting at the computer in my room, and I'm like, "hmm, you know, I'm so forgetful, i'd better not leave this 20 in my pocket, elsewise i'll end up washing it and losing it." So, i set it on my desk. then I'm like, "nah, i'll end up reaching for my cup and accidently knock the 20 onto the floor then under my desk, and i won't be able to find it." I'd better put it some place safe. Then I'm talking to friends doing my thing and I'm like der, i ought just put it right into my wallet where it'll be safe.

I get up, go to my purse, get my wallet, sit back at my desk, and I'm like, hmm... where'd i put that 20. I'm looking around under books, under my comp, in the drawers, on the shelf... damn, where'd i put it. Look somemore and I'm like oh crud, i lost it. So i set my wallet down and i decide i need to really search for this 20 now. Afterall, I'm a college student with no job, this money has to last me weeks! So, I'm looking looking looking... "damn, stupid 20... i guess its only money, sides my grandpa gave me 20 before i left home, and its right there in my wallet... hmm.. speaking of wallets... where is... oh damn!" so now I'm feeling lovely and stupid because I've missplaced my wallet while looking for my money. Now I'm doubly broke and without ID.

So I'm searching for my wallet now, and lo and behold, i find the 20... "of course, i put it in the little nightstand drawer, i remember now!" so I'm all happy, and like "woohoo, i'll put it in my wallet... damn!" I'm all alone in my little dorm room... i don't know how i manage to lose stuff so easy. "here wallet, wallet, come here boy!" currently, my wallet is still AWOL.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gale17 said:
This is me pretty much every day. At least my infamously bad short-term memory gives me excuses for other stuff. :biggrin:

hmm, so update: I'm a retard. The wallet was in almost the same place as the 20... except one drawer lower. apparently i think that those drawers are a really good place to put things... i just forget that i think that... or something... Gah, i have NO short term memory.

hypermorphism said:
This is me pretty much every day. At least my infamously bad short-term memory gives me excuses for other stuff.

least I'm not alone eh?

Maybe your wallet is wherever tribdog's keys keep going. LOL!

I know have to wake up in time to find my keys. You would think I would just create a designated spot for them But, I think that would be too efficient.

Zach_C said:
I know have to wake up in time to find my keys. You would think I would just create a designated spot for them But, I think that would be too efficient.

I keep my car keys on a hook by the door and my house keys in my jacket pocket, which hangs on another hook on the back of the door headed toward the garage. In the summer, both sets of keys go on the hook, usually. I don't carry them on the same keychain so it's harder for me to lose both (I can always get in with the garage door opener in the car if I have car keys and get the extra set of house keys, and if I lose the car keys, can get a ride and get in the house with house keys to get my extra set of car keys). Barring all of the above, I have friends who have a house key of mine.

Where I worked, we used pass cards. I got mine and carefully secreted it in my belt pouch where I wouldn't misplace it. The next day, I went to get it, but I couldn't figure out what had happened to it. I searched my pouch, my wallet, my pockets, everywhere for a week, but to no avail.

I had to go back to IT to request another. Embarrassing. This time I would be sure to not lose it. I took care to place it in a place where I would not lose it - in a special pouch pocket - yep ... right NEXT to the first one, so carefully placed where I would not lose it!

I used to lose stuff a lot more when I was at home and had space to lose it in. Now I'm at college so if something's not in my pocket or thrown onto my desk then it's truly lost. So either things are easily found or completely gone, never to return...

DaveC426913 said:
Where I worked, we used pass cards. I got mine and carefully secreted it in my belt pouch where I wouldn't misplace it. The next day, I went to get it, but I couldn't figure out what had happened to it. I searched my pouch, my wallet, my pockets, everywhere for a week, but to no avail.

LOL! I have one of those for the lab. I have to keep it clipped to my body (on a retractable cord) or else I end up leaving it on lab benches, next to animal cages, on my cafeteria tray, etc. And of course I only realize it after I've walked out the door and locked myself out. I hate those things! :grumpy: Not to mention they track us everywhere we go with them, they know if you've tried it in doors you're not supposed to get in, etc. :eek: (When I first got mine, I was trying it all over the place just to learn what I did and didn't have access to...I wonder what they thought of me.)

I have bit of an advantage with the lost keys bit. I never do lose them, of course, but sometimes they're locationally challenged. :rolleyes:
Anyhow, I'm a retired locksmith among my other 'retired from...' categories. I never leave home without my picks, just in case. Professionally, I always told guys to keep an extra set of car keys in the coin section their wallet, without a ring of course. Doesn't work for women because they always lock their purse in the car.
As for other lost stuff... woooaaah, is that ever a whole 'nother story!
I used to have a drafting board about 2 feet wide and 18" long with built-in parallel rule. It was lost for over 2 years once. I finally found it on the dining room table. I'd just never dug down quite far enough looking for it.

Gale17 said:
So, i got back from vacation today, and my mum helped me bring some stuff up to my room. Hugs, kisses, blah blah, and she slips me a 20. I pocket it. Then I'm sitting at the computer in my room, and I'm like, "hmm, you know, I'm so forgetful, i'd better not leave this 20 in my pocket, elsewise i'll end up washing it and losing it." So, i set it on my desk. then I'm like, "nah, i'll end up reaching for my cup and accidently knock the 20 onto the floor then under my desk, and i won't be able to find it." I'd better put it some place safe. Then I'm talking to friends doing my thing and I'm like der, i ought just put it right into my wallet where it'll be safe.

I get up, go to my purse, get my wallet, sit back at my desk, and I'm like, hmm... where'd i put that 20. I'm looking around under books, under my comp, in the drawers, on the shelf... damn, where'd i put it. Look somemore and I'm like oh crud, i lost it. So i set my wallet down and i decide i need to really search for this 20 now. Afterall, I'm a college student with no job, this money has to last me weeks! So, I'm looking looking looking... "damn, stupid 20... i guess its only money, sides my grandpa gave me 20 before i left home, and its right there in my wallet... hmm.. speaking of wallets... where is... oh damn!" so now I'm feeling lovely and stupid because I've missplaced my wallet while looking for my money. Now I'm doubly broke and without ID.

So I'm searching for my wallet now, and lo and behold, i find the 20... "of course, i put it in the little nightstand drawer, i remember now!" so I'm all happy, and like "woohoo, i'll put it in my wallet... damn!" I'm all alone in my little dorm room... i don't know how i manage to lose stuff so easy. "here wallet, wallet, come here boy!" currently, my wallet is still AWOL.

So you didn't lose the money,afer all. :yuck:

I try and keep my keys, wallet and shoes together with my phone. Then when I lose any of them, I can ring myself and follow the brrrrrrring.

brewnog said:
I try and keep my keys, wallet and shoes together with my phone. Then when I lose any of them, I can ring myself and follow the brrrrrrring.
I must say, sir... It is a distinct pleasure to watch a true genius at work. :approve:

brewnog said:

Very clever. I saw a keychain once that was sound activated, somewhat like "the clapper," so it would beep if you made a noise. Sounded good at first, but then I realized it wouldn't know the difference between noises I made looking for the keys and noises around me when the keys were safely in my pocket. :rolleyes: That probably gets really annoying really quickly.

Danger said:
I have bit of an advantage with the lost keys bit. I never do lose them, of course, but sometimes they're locationally challenged. :rolleyes:
Anyhow, I'm a retired locksmith among my other 'retired from...' categories. I never leave home without my picks, just in case. Professionally, I always told guys to keep an extra set of car keys in the coin section their wallet, without a ring of course. Doesn't work for women because they always lock their purse in the car.
As for other lost stuff... woooaaah, is that ever a whole 'nother story!
I used to have a drafting board about 2 feet wide and 18" long with built-in parallel rule. It was lost for over 2 years once. I finally found it on the dining room table. I'd just never dug down quite far enough looking for it.

What happens if you lose your picks along with your keys? :tongue2:

The times I lost my sunglasses, hair clips, or pencils, while they were just sitting on my head :rolleyes:

Monique said:
The times I lost my sunglasses, hair clips, or pencils, while they were just sitting on my head :rolleyes:

LOL! Our tech does this all the time with her glasses. She keeps two glasses in the lab because she's prone to losing one and doesn't always have time to go looking before she needs them. We make fun of her (in a friendly way) when she has one pair on her head, and the other pair either on her eyes, or tucked under her chin (I don't know how she keeps them there, really) and is looking for both pairs. :tongue2:

Moonbear said:
Maybe your wallet is wherever tribdog's keys keep going. LOL!
Moonbear, I don't think I've ever seen you post in a thread without somehow finding a way to relate it to tribdog, are you sure this is good for you? I'm worried about you moony, you have an addiction and I think you need to deal with it.

I'll be here to support you in any way you need to get rid of your tribdog obsession.

Smurf said:
Moonbear, I don't think I've ever seen you post in a thread without somehow finding a way to relate it to tribdog, are you sure this is good for you? I'm worried about you moony, you have an addiction and I think you need to deal with it.

I'll be here to support you in any way you need to get rid of your tribdog obsession.

:cry: It's so hard. Every time someone mentions pyromania, or losing stuff, or stupid ways to get injured, or psycho girlfriends, it's just so hard to NOT think about tribdog! :tongue2: :rofl:

Moonbear said:
What happens if you lose your picks along with your keys? :tongue2:
Can't happen. :approve: The picks are in a darts case in my hip pocket, one set of car keys and the house keys with spares for the car on separate rings in my front pants pocket, and 2 spare sets for the car in my wallet (1 set is for giving to the mechanic or bartender that I'm leaving in charge of the car). The only drawback is that occassionally one of the picks will find its way partially out of the case and give me a surprise when I sit down. :biggrin:
If I do happen to misplace the picks (I've left them at home a couple of times), they're quite easy to make out of common materials.

Gale17 said:
hmm, so update: I'm a retard. The wallet was in almost the same place as the 20... except one drawer lower. apparently i think that those drawers are a really good place to put things... i just forget that i think that... or something... Gah, i have NO short term memory.
Wait 'till you're older and you have no memory at all! :eek: Or for some of us, short attention spans...or maybe we've just killed all our brain cells... :confused:

Once I locked myself out of my car when going into the dry cleaners--it was 115 degrees and my air conditioner was running. Another time I was in no condition to drive (hmmm, nope it wasn't green apple martinis that time) so someone else drove my car back for me but I couldn't find out where they went with it. So when my designated driver gets me to my home, I had no keys to get in, and had to stay at his place (I ended up dating him...hmmmm, but that's another story.) Now I have extra keys to everything hidden everywhere! :tongue2:

I don't lose my keys very often, but I'm absolutely terrible when it comes to remembering not to leave them in the car when i lock the doors. Just last semester, i only when to class for one hour a day, and think i had to call the cops over a dozen times to come unlock my car. It was sad really. I fortunately almost every time was a different cop. I never saw many of my friends during the day, (since i only had one class,) but then more often than not, they could find me sitting on the hood of my car, gazing longingly through the windows at my purse.

Gale17 said:
I don't lose my keys very often, but I'm absolutely terrible when it comes to remembering not to leave them in the car when i lock the doors. Just last semester, i only when to class for one hour a day, and think i had to call the cops over a dozen times to come unlock my car. It was sad really. I fortunately almost every time was a different cop. I never saw many of my friends during the day, (since i only had one class,) but then more often than not, they could find me sitting on the hood of my car, gazing longingly through the windows at my purse.

That's a big benefit of automatic door locks. As long as I always use the clicker to lock the doors, I know they keys are in my hand after the door is shut and before it is locked. I haven't locked myself out since getting automatic locks. Before then, yeah, several times, and of course always when I had my hands full of the most things (usually the reason I'd leave the keys on the car seat as I was picking up bags of groceries or some such thing).

Moonbear said:
I haven't locked myself out since getting automatic locks.
Electric locks (pre-remote control) used to provide me a fair clientelle at the beginning of winter. People wearing their long, bulky winter coats would bump the lock button upon exiting. :approve:
Returning to the original topic...whenever something smaller goes missing, I usually blame Lucy (cat). She is a sneak-thief of the highest calibre. Her favourite target is pens, which she usually stashes under a rug somewhere, but nothing she can lift is safe. (She actually uses her paws like hands. She'll pick something up, look at it, turn it this way and that... then if she decides that she wants it, she'll put it in her mouth to carry it away.) When I bought her, I thought that her name was short for 'Lucille'. I soon came to suspect that it's actually 'Lucifer' (or Lucifur), snow-white coat notwithstanding. :devil:
I once ended up at a pool match in a town 50 km away with no money because she'd taken the money out of my pants pocket without telling me. About 3 days later I found it under a shoe behind the bathroom door.

Last edited:
Danger said:
Electric locks (pre-remote control) used to provide me a fair clientelle at the beginning of winter. People wearing their long, bulky winter coats would bump the lock button upon exiting. :approve:
Returning to the original topic...whenever something smaller goes missing, I usually blame Lucy (cat). She is a sneak-thief of the highest calibre. Her favourite target is pens, which she usually stashes under a rug somewhere, but nothing she can lift is safe. (She actually uses her paws like hands. She'll pick something up, look at it, turn it this way and that... then if she decides that she wants it, she'll put it in her mouth to carry it away.) When I bought her, I thought that her name was short for 'Lucile'. I soon came to suspect that it's actually 'Lucifer' (or Lucifur), snow-white coat notwithstanding. :devil:
I once ended up at a pool match in a town 50 km away with no money because she'd taken the money out of my pants pocket without telling me. About 3 days later I found it under a shoe behind the bathroom door.
I just had to laugh reading this, 'cuz I had a cat that stole things too, specifically pens. However, when he got into my purse and took money, he'd spend it--on catnip and other bad habits, little junkie. Seriously, he'd steal pens when I was trying to study, and would lay right on top of my book that I was trying to read. I wasn't sure how much was kleptomania or just wanting attention. Men! :tongue:

SOS2008 said:
I just had to laugh reading this
What are you doing reading this? Shouldn't you be working frantically to get your wheelchair tuned up before my arrival? :biggrin:
(Oh, sorry... wrong thread :redface: )

My car battery has died multiple times because I forget a light no.

I locked my self out of my car multiple times. I keep forgetting the keys are still in the car or ignition.

I lost my keys multiple (million) times.

Other than that, I'm not too bad.

Gale17 said:

I find it easiest to lock the doors from the outside. That way I know the keys are in my hand when I need them. I've never locked myself out before (though its bound to happen eventually).

i have this strange habit of, somehow, loosing my pen, while i am writing with it. i mean, one moment i am solving a math sum, or writing something and the next moment i find that i don't have my pen in my hand. and then i spend the next 5-10 mins. looking for it. i usually find it on my bed, as i usually sit on it while studying, or in a book or notebook of mine.

i actually once spent almost 10 mins. looking for it and finaly realized that it was in my hand all the time.

Gale17 said:

I once locked the keys in a car with the car still running- and it wasn't even my car to boot. I'd borrowed my girlfriend at the time's car to run into work to pick up my paycheck. Well she was on a time crunch so I was rushing to get the check. I had this habit of flicking the lock as I got out of the car. So forgetting to pull the keys out, I jumped and flicked the power lock switch on the way out. Ran through a half a tank of gas before she got there with her spare key. Needless to say I never heard the end of it

The really perplexing one is when you lose your glasses, but you have to be wearing them to see where they are, so you actually have to find them before you can start looking for them. Does this violate causality? :confused:

Danger said:
The really perplexing one is when you lose your glasses, but you have to be wearing them to see where they are, so you actually have to find them before you can start looking for them. Does this violate causality? :confused:

Nope, just means you're screwed until someone else comes along who can help you look.

Danger said:
Returning to the original topic...whenever something smaller goes missing, I usually blame Lucy (cat). She is a sneak-thief of the highest calibre. Her favourite target is pens, which she usually stashes under a rug somewhere, but nothing she can lift is safe. (She actually uses her paws like hands. She'll pick something up, look at it, turn it this way and that... then if she decides that she wants it, she'll put it in her mouth to carry it away.) When I bought her, I thought that her name was short for 'Lucille'. I soon came to suspect that it's actually 'Lucifer' (or Lucifur)
Is your cat missing? We just found this one...

Attachments

• drunkcat2.jpg
    drunkcat2.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 347
SOS2008 said:
Is your cat missing? We just found this one...
I can't see what that is, but I'll try again later. Lucy is not missing; she's typing this for me. (I'll have to do it all over again before posting, of course, but I won't tell her that because I don't want to hurt her feelings.)

Danger said:
The really perplexing one is when you lose your glasses.

that is something that happens to me more often than not. what makes it an even bigger problem for me is that i have this stupid habit of going off to sleep while reading, studying... with my glasses on. now that means that each time i wake up in the middle of the night, my glasses are in an unusually awkward shape.

but at times, in my sleep, i somehow manage to take them off and keep them somewhere. now when i wake up this time(again in the middle of the night), i don't have any idea about where did i keep my glasses. now in such a situation i cannot even go back to sleep as it is quite possible that my glasses are on my bed and i may just sleep over them. what makes the matter worse is that i am not wearing my glasses so i cannot see properly, it is the middle of the night and i am half asleep, and i absolutely have to, find my glasses before i can go back to sleep. :eek:

can it get more stupid than this?? :frown: