Simple question on arithmetic.

• Thread starter cdux
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arithmetic
In summary: And no values of a+b when c is strictly negative.In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical property that occurs when two variables, A and B, add up to 1. The equation can be rearranged to put the constant term on the left and the rest of the terms on the right, resulting in a recognizable form. This property is more likely to occur when the constant term is positive and is impossible when it is negative. It is a simple concept, but one that may be overlooked if not paying attention in math class.
cdux
I've noticed 2 x 0.2 x 0.8 happens to give the same result with 1 - (0.2^2 + 0.8^2).

Can the latter be rearranged to the first? And if yes, can someone direct me to the name of the branch of math that describes this problem? It definitely reminds me of something from high school I didn't pay attention to..

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Oh wait, I guess for this question to avoid being meaningless 0.2 and 0.8 should get the symbols A and B, otherwise it could just be 'rearranged' to 0.32.

Hrm, I managed to rearrange it to 1-(A+B)^2 = 0. So that might mean it's a property that ONLY applies when A + B = 1, or at least when that '1' being C is A + B. Am I right?

Or wait, also when (A + B)^2 is C, which is rarer.

So rearrange the equation that way...

2ab = 1 - ( a2 + b2 )

Now rearrange to put the constant term on the left and the rest of the terms on the right...

1 = a2 + 2ab + b2

If you manage to get it in this form, the right hand side is recognizable

1 = (a+b)2

So you can conclude that as long as a and b add to 1 then the relationship that you observed will hold good. The actual a and b that you chose are 0.2 and 0.8. Those do add to 1.

EDIT: It appears that we crossed posts. You have already realized this.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
jbriggs444 said:
So rearrange the equation that way...

2ab = 1 - ( a2 + b2 )

Now rearrange to put the constant term on the left and the rest of the terms on the right...

1 = a2 + 2ab + b2

If you manage to get it in this form, the right hand side is recognizable

1 = (a+b)2

So you can conclude that as long as a and b add to 1 then the relationship that you observed will hold good. The actual a and b that you chose are 0.2 and 0.8. Those do add to 1.

Is my additional assessment that also (a+b)2 could be 1 correct? (Or I guess = C if 1 = C there)

so, 2ab=1-a^2-b^2
a^2+b^2+2ab=1
(a+b)^2=1
'Property' applies when a+b=-1 or +1
Not much of a mystery
Mr.E

cdux said:
Or wait, also when (A + B)^2 is C, which is rarer.

Actually twice as likely for C positive and impossible for C negative.

[Although it is sloppy to talk about likelihood rigorously without a probability distribution available]

Likes 1 person
jbriggs444 said:
Actually twice as likely for C positive and impossible for C negative.

True.

I don't get the first part. Why is it more likely? (even if it's loosely described)

edit: Unless you just mean because it excludes the negatives.

cdux said:
edit: Unless you just mean because it excludes the negatives.

Yes, that's all I was getting at. That there are two values of a+b for which for (a+b)2=c
as long as c is strictly positive.

1. What is arithmetic?

Arithmetic is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of numbers, their properties, and the basic operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. What is the order of operations in arithmetic?

The order of operations in arithmetic is a set of rules that determine the sequence in which mathematical operations should be performed. The acronym PEMDAS is commonly used to remember the order: Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), Addition and Subtraction (from left to right).

3. What is the difference between whole numbers and integers?

Whole numbers are positive numbers that do not have any decimal or fractional parts. Integers, on the other hand, can be positive or negative and can include decimal or fractional parts.

4. How do you perform long division?

Long division is a method of dividing two numbers using repeated subtraction and multiplication. The steps involve dividing the dividend (the number being divided) by the divisor (the number doing the dividing), multiplying the quotient (the number of times the divisor goes into the dividend) by the divisor, and then subtracting the result from the dividend. This process is repeated until there is no remainder left.

5. What is the purpose of arithmetic in everyday life?

Arithmetic is essential for everyday life as it helps us with basic tasks such as counting, measuring, and making calculations. It is also used in more complex fields such as science, engineering, and economics to solve problems and make accurate predictions.