Calculating Co-60 Produced from Co-50 in 1 Week

• Thread starter ineedhlp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Activation
In summary: You also don't need to convert to neutrons in Co-60.In summary, Co-60 is produced through neutron activation of Co-50. The neutron flux is 10^18 neutrons/(s*m^2) and the cross section is 20 barns per nucleus. The mass of Co-50 is 40mg. To find the number of Co-60 nuclei produced in one week, the flux is multiplied by the number of seconds in a week and by the cross section. This gives 0.0122 neutrons per atom of Co-50. Then, the number of Co-50 atoms is multiplied by the number of neutrons in Co-59 and divided by the number of neutrons in Co
ineedhlp
Co-60 is produced from Co-50 through neutron activation. Neutron flux 10^18 nuetrons/(s*m^2). cross section is 20 barns and the mass of Co-50 40mg. How many Co-60 are produced in one week?

My attempt:
I multiplied the flux by the seconds in one week and by 20 barns in m^2 and got 0.0122 neutrons. Then found how many atoms are in the 40mg of CO-50 which was 4.08598x10^20 atoms. Then i multiplied the amount of atoms by the number of neutrons in Co-59 and add to the number of neutrons found by the flux and then divided by 33 neutrons for how many are in C0-60. This gave me the number of nuclei of Co-60 found which was not the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think C-50 should be C-59 everywhere.

I multiplied the flux by the seconds in one week and by 20 barns in m^2 and got 0.0122 neutrons.
Careful, the unit is more like "neutrons per atom".

Then i multiplied the amount of atoms by the number of neutrons in Co-59
Why?
The reaction involves the whole nucleus, and the cross-section is "per nucleus".

and then divided by 33 neutrons for how many are in C0-60.
Again, why?

I assumed that if i had the total number of neutrons of the CO-59 and added it to the number of neutrons that came from the flux, i could find the total number of Co-60 neutrons and then find how many nuclei from that.

You don't have the total number of neutrons in the beam, and you don't need it.

What is Co-60 and Co-50?

Co-60 and Co-50 are both isotopes of the element cobalt. They have slightly different atomic structures, with Co-60 having 60 protons and neutrons and Co-50 having 50 protons and neutrons.

What is the process of calculating Co-60 produced from Co-50?

The process of calculating Co-60 produced from Co-50 involves using the decay constant of Co-50 to determine the number of Co-50 atoms that will decay into Co-60 in a given time period. This is then multiplied by the amount of Co-50 present to find the total amount of Co-60 produced.

Why is it important to calculate Co-60 produced from Co-50?

Co-60 is a radioactive isotope that has many important applications in medicine, industry, and research. By knowing how much Co-60 will be produced from Co-50, scientists can ensure that they have the correct amount of radioactive material for their specific needs.

What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating Co-60 produced from Co-50?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculation include the initial amount of Co-50 present, the purity of the sample, and the efficiency of the decay process. Additionally, any external influences such as temperature or radiation exposure can also impact the accuracy of the calculation.

Are there any safety concerns when working with Co-60 and Co-50?

Yes, both Co-60 and Co-50 are radioactive materials and should be handled with care in a controlled environment. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and wear appropriate protective gear when working with these isotopes to minimize any potential risks.