Potential Energy of a Pendulum

In summary, the potential energy of a pendulum at any point can be calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where h is the vertical displacement of the pendulum. The length of the pendulum and the angle of displacement can be used to find the value of h. As for the energies of a pendulum, the potential energy is given by U(θ)=mgLθ and the kinetic energy is given by K(θ)=mgL(cosθmax-cosθ). Plotting the graph of energy vs. time is dependent on the behavior of theta as a function of time, which can vary depending on the angle and can be sinusoidal or involve elliptic integrals.
velo city
What is the potential energy of a pendulum at any point?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming a standard pendulum?

The potential energy can be computed through m g h. So you need to find an expression for h at "any point", which you can do through knowing the radius of the trajectory and the angle.

Likes 1 person
Welllllll...
If you say the pendulums length is "L" then when the pendulum swings "up" through an angle θ it will be displaced a vertical displacement "h".
Make a right triangle with θ at the hinge point. The hypotenuse is "L" and the adjacent side is "x"
so cosθ=x/L so x=Lcosθ.
But if x is the adjacent side, it is also equal to L-h, sooo..
L-h=Lcosθ which means h=L-Lcosθ.
Thus Potential energy at any point is P.E=mg(L-Lcosθ)

Note:
I am assuming the pendulum "string" has a negligible mass as well..

Hi, I just have a related question on the energies of a pendulum, and am not looking to start a new thread (unless mod feels it should be).

F the potential energy and kinetic energy are given by
U(θ)=mgLθ )
K(θ)= mgL(cosθmax-cosθ)
*Since kinetic energy simply is difference between mechanical and potential energy, where the total mechanical energy is equal to the potential energy at θmax

I'm trying to plot or find the equation of a graph for Energy vs. Time. It's obvious that energy vs. theta will be sinusoidal, however if theta is itself sinusoidal as a function of time (SHM), what would the graph of energy vs time look like? I'm struggling to convince myself it will also be sinusoidal.

I'd also like to consider how the graph would be different for small angles (sinθ~θ) and for θ~90° (unless it involves analysing elliptic integrals)

Anyone can point me in a direction to start?

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or condition. It is stored energy that can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy.

What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight attached to a pivot point that is able to swing back and forth. It is often used to demonstrate the effects of gravity and potential energy.

How is the potential energy of a pendulum calculated?

The potential energy of a pendulum can be calculated using the equation PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the pendulum, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the pendulum above its resting position.

How does the length of a pendulum affect its potential energy?

The potential energy of a pendulum is directly proportional to its length. This means that as the length of a pendulum increases, so does its potential energy. This is because a longer pendulum has a greater distance to fall, and therefore a greater potential for energy conversion.

What factors affect the potential energy of a pendulum?

The potential energy of a pendulum is affected by its mass, length, and height above its resting position. It is also affected by external factors such as air resistance and friction. The type of material used for the pendulum and the strength of the pivot point can also affect its potential energy.