SERCOS Questions

by tomizzo
Tags: sercos
tomizzo
Aug25-13, 02:19 PM
P: 58
I've recently began looking into the SERCOS interface and have a few questions. I would guess there are a few people are here with some experience with it.

Question 1: For communications between controllers and drives, does each product have to follow SERCOS standards so that IDNs are understood? I feel like this may have a fairly obvious answer of "yes", but it just seems a little different than what I've worked with in the past.

Say for example a drive is SERCOS certified, that would mean that drive would know to input certain information such as velocity status in a certain IDN for a controller to read?

Question 2: If I were to program a drive with certain parameters, would this be something completely separate from SERCOS? As in, SERCOS is just a way to read/write parameters of a drive but aren't necessarily required for programming a drives parameters?

Question 3: This question is regarding the initial set up of SERCOS communications. This image below shows the phases and includes a note for an ability to pause the initialization after phase 2 so that additional parameter IDNs can be sent for an application...

Why is this necessary? Why wouldn't someone just include parameter IDNs during initialization? This may be a specific question to G&L's PiCPro software. I simply don't know.

So any help?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
New ultrasound device may add in detecting risk for heart attack, stroke
Enhanced ground control system and software for small unmanned aircraft
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)

Register to reply