Diffusion equation with an external force

In summary: F^2\gamma^2\Delta t/2But since we are assuming that $\rho$ is slow, the last term is negligible and we end up with the result given by Sethna.
tehrv
I thought I would do a little physics for fun, since it has been over 20 years since I last did any. I picked up Sethna's Stat Mech book. He gives a derivation of the diffusion equation that goes as follows:

A particle makes random steps, ie x(t+Δt)=x(t) + l(t). The steps l(t) are given according to a distritubion χ whose moments are:

[itex]
\int \chi (z) dz = 1
[/itex]

[itex]
\int z\chi (z) dz = 0
[/itex]

[itex]
\int z^2\chi (z) dz = a^2
[/itex]

For a particle to go from x' at t to x at t+Δt the step, l(t), must be x-x'. This happens with probability χ(x-x') times the probability density ρ(x', t) that it started at x'.

[itex]
\rho (x, t+\Delta t) = \int \rho (x', t)\chi (x-x') dx'
[/itex]

[itex]
\rho (x, t+\Delta t) = \int \rho (x-z, t)\chi (z) dz
[/itex]

Assume ρ is broad and do a Taylor series.

[itex]
\rho (x, t+\Delta t) ≈ \int \left[\rho (x, t)-z\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial x}+z^2/2\frac{\partial^2 \rho}{\partial x^2} \right]\chi (z) dz
[/itex]

Using the moments, we get:

[itex]
\rho (x, t+\Delta t) ≈ \rho (x, t)+1/2\frac{\partial^2 \rho}{\partial x^2}a^2
[/itex]

Now assume ρ is slow and so changes little during this time step:

[itex]
\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}\Delta t ≈ \rho (x, t+\Delta t) - \rho (x, t)
[/itex]

So we get:

[itex]
\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} = D\frac{\partial^2 \rho}{\partial x^2}
[/itex]

where

[itex]
D = \frac{a^2}{2\Delta t}
[/itex]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far so good. But he says if we add an external force F whereby x(t+Δt)=x(t) + FγΔt + l(t), then we get

[itex]
\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} = -γF\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial x}+D\frac{\partial^2 \rho}{\partial x^2}
[/itex]

But I am having trouble getting that result. It seems that the second derivative term is more like
[itex]
D+F^2γ^2Δt/2.
[/itex]

Seeing as this is my first Taylor series expansion in over 20 years, I was wondering if one of you could help me out and tell me if I have made a mistake. It shouldn't take you very long.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is that you are correct. The second term should be $D + \frac{F^2\gamma^2\Delta t}{2}$. To get this result, we can just repeat the same steps as before but with this additional force term. We start with the same probability density equation:\rho (x, t+\Delta t) = \int \rho (x', t)\chi (x-x'-F\gamma\Delta t) dx'Again assuming the probability density is broad, we can expand the expression in a Taylor series:\rho (x, t+\Delta t) ≈ \int \left[\rho (x, t)-z\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial x}+z^2/2\frac{\partial^2 \rho}{\partial x^2} -F\gamma\Delta t \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial x} +F^2\gamma^2\Delta t^2/2\frac{\partial^2 \rho}{\partial x^2} \right]\chi (z) dzUsing the moments of the distribution χ, this simplifies to:\rho (x, t+\Delta t) ≈ \rho (x, t)+1/2\frac{\partial^2 \rho}{\partial x^2}a^2 + F\gamma\Delta t \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial x} +F^2\gamma^2\Delta t^2/2\frac{\partial^2 \rho}{\partial x^2}Now, again assuming that $\rho$ doesn't change much over the time step and noting that the first two terms cancel, we have:\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}\Delta t ≈ \rho (x, t+\Delta t) - \rho (x, t)which gives us:\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} = -γF\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial x}+D

1. What is the diffusion equation with an external force?

The diffusion equation with an external force is a mathematical model that describes the movement or spreading of particles in a medium due to both random motion (diffusion) and an applied external force. It is commonly used in physics, chemistry, and engineering to understand and predict the behavior of particles in various systems.

2. How is the diffusion equation with an external force different from the normal diffusion equation?

The diffusion equation with an external force includes an additional term that accounts for the effects of an external force on the movement of particles. This term is usually dependent on the gradient of the external force and can significantly impact the behavior of the system. In contrast, the normal diffusion equation only considers the random motion of particles.

3. What types of external forces can be included in the diffusion equation?

External forces in the diffusion equation can take many forms, such as electric or magnetic fields, pressure gradients, or temperature variations. These forces can affect the movement of particles in different ways, leading to a variety of behaviors and phenomena.

4. How is the diffusion equation with an external force solved?

The diffusion equation with an external force is a partial differential equation that can be solved using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables, Fourier transforms, or numerical methods. The solution will depend on the specific conditions and external force applied in the system.

5. What are some real-world applications of the diffusion equation with an external force?

The diffusion equation with an external force has many practical applications, including predicting the spread of pollutants in the environment, understanding the behavior of particles in semiconductor devices, and modeling the diffusion of drugs in biological systems. It is also used in various fields, such as materials science, geology, and medical imaging.