So finding one's soul mate is/is not a lasting thing?

• Thread starter DoggerDan
  • Start date
I just hope they don't lose their minds and start to believe in soul mates and destiny and all that crap.In summary, the conversation explores the concept of a "soul mate" and whether or not it is a lasting thing. The participants discuss their own experiences with relationships and whether they believe in the idea of a "soul mate." Some believe that compatibility and shared values are important factors in a lasting relationship, while others think that past baggage and unresolved issues can impact a marriage. Ultimately, it is up to the individuals involved to make a relationship work and whether or not they believe in the concept of a "soul mate."
DoggerDan
So finding one's "soul mate" is/is not a lasting thing?

Demi and Ashton often described themselves as "soul mates." Yet, they're not splitting up. It appears to be Demi's choice, yet Ashton appears to be accepting it without a fight.

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/apnewsbreak-demi-moore-divorce-ashton-kutcher-212845226.html

This isn't about Ashton and Demi, though feel free to use them as an example.

It's about the concept of a "soul mate." I'm not sure I buy into that, particularly if it implies there's "only one" person out there who could be one's "soul mate," as I've met half a dozen ladies over the years with whom I could have steadfastly bonded for the remainder of our lives. I knew it, and they knew it. Unfortunately, my ex wasn't one of them, and those who were, were married, so we didn't go down that road.

I recently met someone who meets a loose description of "soul mate" but who is not married. Being with her is like being with the best friend I've ever had. We just seem to get one another, and enjoy hanging out together. I think it's because we share the same faith, and have shared similar experiences. We both know where things look like they're heading, but we're taking things slow, yet steady.

What do you think about the "soul mate" concept? Yeah? Nay? Somewhere in between?

Physics news on Phys.org

DoggerDan said:
It's about the concept of a "soul mate."

I recently met someone who meets a loose description of "soul mate" but who is not married. Being with her is like being with the best friend I've ever had. We just seem to get one another, and enjoy hanging out together. I think it's because we share the same faith, and have shared similar experiences. We both know where things look like they're heading, but we're taking things slow, yet steady.

What do you think about the "soul mate" concept? Yeah? Nay? Somewhere in between?

First, congratulations, I am happy for you Dogger, life is short and we all should try to be happy (with or without a significant other) as we work our way through it. I know what you are saying, some people are more compatible than others, and if the shared values are similar enough and your personalities are compatible enough, then that other person could qualify as a "soulmate" as you prefer to call it. I believe Demi called Aston her "soulmate". That being said, their backgrounds may have stacked the deck against them. Sad to see it play out in the public eye. See the articles from the two sources listed below: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...-open-marriage.html?ITO=google_news_rss_feed" and if the information written is accurate is a bird of another feather.
'I think they probably had a lot of good times with some other women... Clearly they had a lot of threesomes, that led to twosomes without Demi and that leads to a divorce. I absolutely feel for her.

and
Psychoanalyst Fran Cohen Praver, author of The New Science of Love: How Understanding Your Brain's Wiring Can Help Rekindle Your Relationship and a blogger for Psychology Today, feels that Kutcher and Moore's marriage "was doomed from the start. They came together out of weakness."

Praver suggests that Kutcher's cheating ways may have been an attempt to "act out his adolescence. He missed out on that; his fraternal twin brother has a mild case of cerebral palsy and had heart problems, and Ashton was intent on helping out." In marrying the older Moore, Praver adds, Kutcher might have been seeking "a solid mother figure," since his parents divorced when he was a teenager.

Moore's background was equally "unstable," Praver posits: "Both parents were alcoholics, and they moved 40 times. She didn't marry an alcoholic, but she married a cheater, which is the same thing. So both (Kutcher and Moore) never really resolved their pasts. Two halves don't make a whole; both people (in a marriage) have to be strong and independent."

I believe there are people you meet that you may develop that special bond (soul mate) with, regardless of the baggage you bring to the relationship. I have met one or two in my day as well. You never forget them. Best of luck, "taking things slow, yet steady." I wish you well.

Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator:

I think it depends on the two individuals involved. Both sets of grandparents were together until my grandmothers died, and my parents just passed 55 years together as a married couple, and they were engaged for about 7 years because the universities didn't accommodate married students. So my parents have basically begin together for 62 years.

On the other hand, the majority of couples I know have divorced, at least of my generation and younger.

Astronuc said:
I think it depends on the two individuals involved. Both sets of grandparents were together until my grandmothers died, and my parents just passed 55 years together as a married couple, and they were engaged for about 7 years because the universities didn't accommodate married students. So my parents have basically begin together for 62 years.

On the other hand, the majority of couples I know have divorced, at least of my generation and younger.
Funny, you bring up the subject of longevity in marriage, a co-worker who has three brothers and three sisters (all married), and between them, now grown adults in their mid to late forties, they have 15 grandchildren, and get this, they are all still married to their first spouse ! The subject of marriage and divorce came up at work today, and he told us his family's amazing story.

Rhody...

I don't really agree with the concept of a "Soul Mate", it's all a bit wishy washy, Mr(s) Right is out there, find your Prince(ss) Charming and live happily ever after, fated to be, etc, it makes me sick.

However, I have met a few people over the years that I will be glad to know for the rest of my life. My ex-girlfriend, now just a good friend is one of these people, and I have a male friend that kind of fits this description too. We think the same way, can finish each others sentences, understand each other's quirky humour, like the same music, movies, books, outdoor activities etc...

It's just a compatible personality thing IMHO, I can get along well with almost anyone, but there are a few people in particular who I really click with.

Funny how everyone has a soul mate within 20 miles of wherever they live. :tongue2: If I have a soul mate he's either dead, gay, or married to someone else.

What matters is that you're happy.

Evo said:
Funny how everyone has a soul mate within 20 miles of wherever they live. :tongue2: If I have a soul mate he's either dead, gay, or married to someone else.

What matters is that you're happy.

My soulmate.
She is somewhere is eastern Europe - I don;t know exactly where, so that makes my soul mate so much more mysterious and interesting and desirable. For only a small sum I can bring my soulmate princess and her family over and we can be together forever and ever in everlasting happiness. If I could only find her.

256bits said:
My soulmate.
She is somewhere is eastern Europe - I don;t know exactly where, so that makes my soul mate so much more mysterious and interesting and desirable. For only a small sum I can bring my soulmate princess and her family over and we can be together forever and ever in everlasting happiness. If I could only find her.
Don't end up like this guy.

http://news.yahoo.com/american-stranded-ukraine-online-dating-scam-181151852.html

Evo said:
Funny how everyone has a soul mate within 20 miles of wherever they live. :tongue2:

Hmm, so somewhere out there is my soulmate... Now the only question is how do I meet her? :biggrin:

micromass said:
Hmm, so somewhere out there is my soulmate... Now the only question is how do I meet her? :biggrin:
She ran off with my soulmate. :frown:

Evo said:
She ran off with my soulmate. :frown:

Awww :frown: Wanna get virtually drunk again?? :tongue:

micromass said:
Awww :frown: Wanna get virtually drunk again?? :tongue:
Let's do it. I want bailey's irish cream.

[PLAIN]http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/10/20/129005629420382342.jpg [Broken]

micromass said:
[PLAIN]http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/10/20/129005629420382342.jpg[/quote]ooohh! [Broken] :!)

DoggerDan said:
Demi and Ashton often described themselves as "soul mates." Yet, they're not splitting up. It appears to be Demi's choice, yet Ashton appears to be accepting it without a fight.

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/apnewsbreak-demi-moore-divorce-ashton-kutcher-212845226.html

This isn't about Ashton and Demi, though feel free to use them as an example.

It's about the concept of a "soul mate." I'm not sure I buy into that, particularly if it implies there's "only one" person out there who could be one's "soul mate," as I've met half a dozen ladies over the years with whom I could have steadfastly bonded for the remainder of our lives. I knew it, and they knew it. Unfortunately, my ex wasn't one of them, and those who were, were married, so we didn't go down that road.

Some people have put forward that the idea of a soul-mate is related to that of karma. The idea is that the two souls are ones that have karma related to each other. It's along the lines of people having a strong bond based on their experiences of past lives and the interactions that is contained in these experiences.

Also to the moderators: I know this is scientific forum, and I'm not arguing the veracity of these claims, I'm just putting it out there, so don't extrapolate anything unnecessary out of this please.

But in terms of finding people you can be happy with, I agree there are probably many people that fit this description. Just probabilistically, I can't imagine that for a planet of approximately 6 billion human beings that only 1 in roughly 3 billion is worthy of eternal companionship of that sort.

Personally I think its better to meet many different people in one way or another to really get more out of life because the variation is what gives you great insight, appreciation, and exposure to life in general.

Recently overheard:

If I had a soul, you'd be its mate.

Evo said:
Let's do it. I want bailey's irish cream.

I love that stuff!

I have found my soul-mate. The day we part from each other is the day I'll die. I had to look for him, but I realized quickly that I was looking in the wrong place all along. Then, as if destiny had smiled upon me, he was just there looking back at me.

Through the mirror.

Constantinos said:
I have found my soul-mate. The day we part from each other is the day I'll die. I had to look for him, but I realized quickly that I was looking in the wrong place all along. Then, as if destiny had smiled upon me, he was just there looking back at me.

Through the mirror.
lol.

if there is such a thing, it must be rare. the odds are stacked against it: how many people are in the world, and what tiny fraction of them are you ever going to meet?

and how many of us even deserve such a thing? we humans are a tawdry lot, given to short-sightedness, and preoccupation with the trivial. an eternal, perfect love? why does this conjure up the idea of some hideous but lucrative infomercial?

and what of the people we are with, the people who we mistook for soul-mates, but actually aren't? who are we to say that any person we know is not deserving of the best we have to give them? surely treating other people with a certain lack of love and respect is a greater mis-deed than failing to find a soul-mate.

as for myself, i have resigned myself to give up such a quixotic notion. perhaps i am the less for it. perhaps someone out there would be "a perfect match", but (expletive deleted).

because you know what? the woman i am with may not be perfect for me. we fight sometimes, she is not my perfect sexual fantasy, often we don't even understand each other. yet, i am happy. i strive to be as kind and compassionate as i can...for i know not if she may be god sent down to judge me. i believe that almost anyone has wonders to share, if you are patient enough, and tend their garden well.

my advice is: take what love you can find, and give what love you have, where you are, right now. life is short, and the idea of a soul-mate is perhaps a pitiful excuse to be less than we could be, perhpas even a pernicious idea that does more harm than good.

(dryly, i note it DOES help to sell magazines)

the important thing is that you find the girl or guy of your dream

I'm not sure that i believe there is such a thing as a "soul mate" but if I did, I've got two. They consider me theirs. Really it's just about a bond we have, even if we aren't together romantically. One is my best friend--we are very, very different people but have had similar adversities; the other is my ex--and again it's about a fundamental need being met, that you can't just get everywhere that sort of creates a bond, and forces acceptance. To this day, he and I can talk forever about something and there is closeness in that because it's not something we can do with just anyone. But even "soulmates" aren't necessarily meant to be together.

Constantinos said:

Through the mirror.

And a bonus side effect is that your soul mate will never 'not be in the mood' when you are...

OTOH, children are out of the question.

:devil:

And you get to wear this cool T:
mirror_gawker_narcissist_light_grey_tshirt-p235120005705405147z7s3d_152.jpg

Last edited:

What you see in a soulmate depends on you, not them. For instance, in my soulmate I see a charming carefree will o' the wisp with a beautiful heart. On the other hand my wife sees an interfering homewrecker.

Jimmy Snyder said:
What you see in a soulmate depends on you, not them. For instance, in my soulmate I see a charming carefree will o' the wisp with a beautiful heart. On the other hand my wife sees an interfering homewrecker.

i laughed so hard i choked on my cofeee

The statement is true
(Really funny guys.)

Soulmate implies a mate for your soul. Not a twin. Not a god or goddess, just someone who fits well and with whom you and he/she will be a "better person" than you would be alone. The song that says "wind beneath my wings" describes this kind of relationship but it can also be the tail of a kite or the storm anchor of a ship. Talking is fine but when you are with the right person you never have to say I love you, you never have to say a word. You know they have your back, will never intentionally hurt you or anyone else, they profoundly respect you as an equal, and really don't notice wrinkles, a bit of chub because they don't matter. Now this of course also describes a really good friend so the icing on the cake is if this person is so hot to you that just looking at them causes your temperature to rise a few hundred degrees, this is not a bad thing. There is one more critical attribute - it's his job to keep her laughing (or him as the case may be) because only an incredible sense of humor can possibly get two people through life together without killing one another.

It used to be women in particular were so ashamed of a failed marriage that they would stay in the most horrendous situations. Now it has swung so far the other way that many will bail over trivial issues that have no bearing on the "big picture". But the little signs are there when you start thinking seriously about someone as a life partner. Don't be so anxious to find that soulmate that you ignore the danger signs. I'll be forever grateful that I walked away several times before making the final and lasting choice because this is the last criteria - that if either one of you cross the line drawn in the sand in the beginning, the other can and will walk away. As long as this is true you both are very careful to follow the rules that keep your relationship from wrecking. it's very easy and well worth it when both are willing to give 100%, not 50%, when needed.

so is there "one" soulmate? Highly unlikely unless you're really strange yourself. But some are acceptable and some are totally amazing. Will the relationship last? See "line in the sand". Stay tuned for the next lecture on Soulmates 100.

Happy hunting!

Last edited:

man to tell you the truth i can't think about it these days to me i have to focus on my studies then i turn my attention to finding the soul mate i don't know maybe its something which shows up by itself God only knows

You can't study 24/7. You have the best selection of really good candidates when you're a student. Just be friendly. You'll know the right person and yes there are a number of them that would be a good fit - just some better than others. Just be able to walk away, pleasantly of course.

1. Is finding one's soul mate a real concept or just a romanticized idea?

The concept of a soul mate is subjective and can vary from person to person. Some believe that there is one perfect person for them, while others believe that there can be multiple people who are compatible with them. Ultimately, whether or not finding a soul mate is a lasting thing depends on individual beliefs and experiences.

2. Can a person have more than one soul mate?

As mentioned before, the concept of a soul mate can vary. Some people believe that they can have multiple soul mates in a lifetime, while others believe that there is only one true soul mate for them. It is ultimately up to an individual's personal beliefs and experiences.

3. Is finding a soul mate a matter of fate or choice?

Again, this can depend on individual beliefs. Some may believe that it is fate that brings two people together as soul mates, while others believe that it is a conscious choice to commit to someone and make a relationship work. It is likely a combination of both fate and choice.

4. Can a person's soul mate change over time?

It is possible for a person's soul mate to change over time, especially if a relationship ends and they find someone new who they feel a deep connection with. However, some people believe that their soul mate remains the same throughout their lifetime, even if they are not currently in a relationship with that person.

5. How do you know if you have found your soul mate?

This is a difficult question to answer definitively, as it is subjective and can vary from person to person. Some may feel a strong emotional and physical connection with their partner, while others may base it on compatibility and shared values. Ultimately, it is up to an individual to determine if they have found their soul mate.