Why solids aren't organized in simple cubic (SC) and Simple Hexagonal(SH) ?

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of SC and SH as theoretical arrangements for crystal lattices and questioned why they are not commonly found in nature. The speaker provided a possible explanation for the rarity of SC and suggested that it may be realized in certain high pressure conditions. The conversation also mentioned examples of SC and SH in different crystal structures.
ShizukaSm
My book mentioned that SC and SH are both "Theoretical arrangement" for crystal lattices, and later posed the question "Why it doesn't happen?", however it never provided an answer.

Well, I can 'sort of' (very non-scientifically, mind you) imagine why, three stacked layers of spheres(atoms) would rather fall in an alternate pattern than stay in perfectly tangential organization, Is there a better answer however? I mean, a better reason?

Thanks in advance

Chemistry news on Phys.org
My guess is, firstly SC (1 atom per unit cell) is rare in nature as BCC (2 atoms per unit cell) and FCC (4 atoms per unit cell) are more efficient forms of cubic packing and so are more common. I'm not sure about SH.
Secondly, it doesn't happen in nature because nothing is a perfect crystal of pure material. There's always impurities, dislocations, vacancies etc.

I think simple cubic is realized in a high pressure allotroph of phosphorus and is the most stable structure at normal pressure and temperature of polonium. So it is quite exotic but possible.

isn't cesium chloride SC?

chill_factor said:
isn't cesium chloride SC?

There are plenty of examples with a simple cubic or hexagonal lattice, but I suppose what the OP meant was crystal structures with a simple cubic or hexagonal lattice and a one-atom basis.

1. Why are solids not organized in a simple cubic (SC) structure?

The simple cubic structure is not the most efficient way for atoms or molecules to pack together. This structure has large void spaces between particles, making it less stable and more prone to distortion under stress.

2. What makes simple hexagonal (SH) packing less common in solids?

The simple hexagonal structure has a larger void space compared to other packing structures, making it less stable. Additionally, the SH structure is more difficult to achieve due to the need for precise alignment of particles.

3. Are there any exceptions to the lack of SC and SH packing in solids?

While the SC and SH structures are not commonly found in solids, there are some exceptions. For example, certain metals such as polonium and beryllium can have a simple hexagonal structure, and some ionic compounds can exhibit a simple cubic structure.

4. How do other packing structures compare to SC and SH in terms of stability?

The face-centered cubic (FCC) and body-centered cubic (BCC) structures are more stable than the SC and SH structures due to their closer packing and ability to distribute stress more evenly. This makes them more commonly found in solids.

5. Can the lack of SC and SH packing in solids be explained by any specific principles?

Yes, the lack of SC and SH packing in solids can be explained by the principle of minimum potential energy. This principle states that atoms or molecules will arrange themselves in a way that minimizes their potential energy, which is not achieved by the SC and SH structures.