General Physics vs. University Physics (and help in class selection)

In summary, the conversation revolves around the differences between General Physics and University Physics, with the main focus on their use in transferring to a university for a physics degree. The conversation also brings up the importance of calculus in physics courses and the possible options for testing out of certain courses. The advice given is to check with the specific institution for their degree requirements.
Astrum
I'm taking General Physics I (already taken and passed) and II at a CC this year (in other words, algebra based). The adviser told me that it would make no difference when transferring to a university. Now I'm not too sure.

From my understanding, Gen Phys 1 is not much different than calculus based phys 1, but physics 2 can be rather different.

Will it be a problem to NOT take university physics? After this next year at a State University, I plan on making one final transfer.

So far, my schedule looks like this:

Mechanics I - Vector formulation of kinematics and dynamics of particles and rigid bodies. Topics include Newton's laws, momentum, energy, moving coordinate systems, central force motion, and the harmonic oscillator. Irregular.

General chemistry* 1- Average general chemistry class

German 4 - I plan on finishing my degree in Vienna

Calculus 3- Average Calc 3 class

English composition 2*- A boring, useless English class that I'm stuck taking
*Depending on university requirements in Europe (where I plan on finishing my degree- Vienna!), I may take a thermodynamics course instead of this.

Physics news on Phys.org
From a US perspective: it depends on your major. Some majors that require a year of physics will accept algebra-based physics (what I'm interpreting "General Physics" means), but will also accept the more difficult calculus-based physics ("University Physics").

But there are majors that *specify* calculus-based physics. These would include physics (obviously), physical sciences, engineering, etc. These majors will definitely not accept algebra-based physics as a substitute.

To be certain which physics will satisfy your degree requirements, I recommend you contact the institution that you will be graduating from, not the place you're transferring from.

The terms you're using, such as "general physics" and "university physics," don't have standardized definitions. The answer to your question depends completely on the exact school you're transferring to. When my students want to double-check what an adviser has told them, I can usually tell by looking at the catalogs for the two schools, because analogous courses have analogous math prerequisites. There may also be an electronic online system for your country's school system that tells you about these correspondences between schools -- in American bureaucratic parlance, they're referred to as "articulation agreements."

If you want to end up with a physics or engineering degree, you generally need to take the calculus-based intro physics course. If you've taken only an algebra-based course, some schools may make you take the calculus-based one also. Some schools may have some kind of "bridge" course for students in your situation, so you don't have to take another two whole semesters of intro physics. It all depends on the school that you're transferring to.

Sorry about that, I forgot to define them XD

Yes, General Physics is algebra based, while University Physics is calculus based. The state university says this (paraphrased):

Students who have taken General physics 1 will not receive credit for University physics 1.

I'm assuming that means that General Physics one is equal to University physics 1?

It does NOT say this for university physics 2. I'm guessing that's because calculus is much more important for E&M. Only calculus 1 is needed to take both University Physics classes.

So, what do you recommended I do? Are seconded semester courses offered in the first semester?

And yeah, this is going towards a physics degree.

Is testing out of University Physics 2 an option?

Edit: Here is the prereq math class for University Physics: Calculus 1 Limits and continuity, derivatives, applications of derivatives including transcendental functions. Antiderivatives, definite integrals with applications. Skill Area II

The next one is Calculus 2, followed by 3.

Calculus 2 is: Further application of integration and techniques integration. Improper integrals and L'Hopital's. Infinite series including Taylor series and representation of functions.

Last edited:
Astrum said:

Yes, General Physics is algebra based, while University Physics is calculus based. The state university says this (paraphrased):

Students who have taken General physics 1 will not receive credit for University physics 1.

I'm assuming that means that General Physics one is equal to University physics 1?

It does NOT say this for university physics 2. I'm guessing that's because calculus is much more important for E&M. Only calculus 1 is needed to take both University Physics classes.

So, what do you recommended I do? Are seconded semester courses offered in the first semester?

Edit: Here is the prereq math class for University Physics: Calculus 1 Limits and continuity, derivatives, applications of derivatives including transcendental functions. Antiderivatives, definite integrals with applications. Skill Area II

Calculus 2 is: Further application of integration and techniques integration. Improper integrals and L'Hopital's. Infinite series including Taylor series and representation of functions.

If you're going for a physics degree, I wouldn't even consider taking algebra-based physics, unless you intend to use it as an introduction to the calculus-based series.

Even if calc 1 is the only prerequisite, you're going to have to take the full calculus series anyway, at least for all physics programs that I'm familiar with.

Again, you really need to check with the institution that you are transferring to, i.e. the one you plan on graduating from. We here at PF can give general guidance but we aren't familiar with individual degree requirements.

Astrum said:

No, that's the opposite of what is said here. Did you not notice the "not" in that sentence? You will not receive credit for University Physics I!

If you're not planning to finish your degree at university #2 (where you plan to go next year), the main issue there is whether they will let you take intermediate and upper-level physics courses that normally require calculus-based intro physics as a prerequisite. Only someone who knows the policies of the physics department at that university can answer that question.

The question of which courses the Universität Wien (or whatever other university there is in Vienna) will accept towards their bachelor's degree is a separate issue, and only they can provide a definite answer.

jtbell said:
If you're not planning to finish your degree at university #2 (where you plan to go next year), the main issue there is whether they will let you take intermediate and upper-level physics courses that normally require calculus-based intro physics as a prerequisite. Only someone who knows the policies of the physics department at that university can answer that question.

The question of which courses the Universität Wien (or whatever other university there is in Vienna) will accept towards their bachelor's degree is a separate issue, and only they can provide a definite answer.

You're right, and yeah Universität Wien is the one I'm looking at. I'll contact my local university.

Universität Wien has so many choices, it's a bit overwhelming. It says the intro classes that you must take before continuing the degree is "Einführung in die Physik" (introduction to physics). I can't find anything detailing what this class actually covers, I'm assuming it's calculus based.

I figured I'd be able to test into calc 3. I've been reviewing my calculus from HS with Spivak.

Am I REALLY going to have to repeat intro physics? :cry:

1. What is the difference between general physics and university physics?

General physics is a broad overview of the basic principles and laws of physics, while university physics is a more in-depth and technical study of these concepts. University physics typically involves higher level math and more complex problem-solving, while general physics may focus more on conceptual understanding.

2. Which physics class should I take for my major?

This depends on your specific major and career goals. If you are majoring in a science or engineering field, university physics is typically required. If you are not majoring in a STEM field, general physics may be a better fit.

3. Will general physics be easier than university physics?

This also depends on your individual strengths and interests. General physics may be easier for those who struggle with math and prefer a more conceptual approach, while university physics may be easier for those who excel in math and enjoy problem-solving.

4. Can I take general physics and then switch to university physics?

Yes, it is possible to switch from general physics to university physics. However, keep in mind that university physics builds upon the concepts learned in general physics, so it may be more challenging to switch later on in your academic career.

5. How can I succeed in a university physics class?

To succeed in a university physics class, it is important to attend all lectures, take thorough notes, and actively participate in class discussions. It is also helpful to practice solving problems regularly and seek help from the professor or a tutor if needed.