Geometry - question about the proceess of proving a theorem

In summary: This is the same thing that Einstein was getting at with his theory of General Relativity. If you live on a sphere, and your "paper" is drawn on the surface of the sphere, a "straight line" on the paper will correspond to a "great circle" on the surface of the sphere, and the "angles" in a triangle drawn on the paper will correspond to the "solid angles" formed by the great circles on the surface of the sphere.In summary, the Pythagorean proof of the theorem that the angles in a triangle add to 180 degrees is based on the assumption that angles on a straight line add to 180 degrees. This assumption is one of the postulates or axioms in Euclidean geometry, and
musicgold
Hi,

Please refer to the Pythagorean proof of the theorem that the angels in a triangle add to 180 degrees. The following link has the proof.
http://www.cut-the-knot.org/triangle/pythpar/AnglesInTriangle.shtml

You will note that this proof is based on the assumptions that angles on a straight line add to 180 degrees. But we have no proof of that fact. I mean we can measure it with a protractor, but is there a way to prove that?

So I am wondering about the whole process of proving a theorem. We use some assumptions to prove a statement. The assumptions themselves are theorems that have to proved somewhere else. Is that the right way to think about it?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For your particular question. A complete circle is 360 deg. The angles on one side of a straight line must add up to a semicircle (sincle both sides of the line must have the same angle sum).

Likes 1 person
In any formal system, there are one or more assumptions which are assumed to be true but which cannot otherwise be proven. In geometry and arithmetic, these unprovable assumptions are called postulates or axioms.
Euclidean geometry has 5 axioms and 5 other 'common notions' which are similar to axioms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclidean_geometry

The most controversial axiom in Euclidean geometry is the Fifth, or Parallel, postulate. Other, non-euclidean geometries have been constructed by discarding this postulate.

In the 1930's, the logician Kurt Godel proved that in logical systems like arithmetic and geometry, there are certain axioms which are true but which cannot be proven true using only the elements contained in that system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Gödel

In this attachment, there is a proof on pp. 20-21 that the angles in a triangle add to 180 degrees:

http://online.math.uh.edu/MiddleSch...ry_Spatial/Content/AxiomaticSystems_Final.pdf

which, I believe, is similar to the one you linked to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gödel's_incompleteness_theorems

Likes 1 person
mathman said:
For your particular question. A complete circle is 360 deg. The angles on one side of a straight line must add up to a semicircle (sincle both sides of the line must have the same angle sum).

Just for the sake argument, if someone says to me : how can we assume that "a complete circle is 360 deg"? Can I say that, "it a system that we humans have designed (i.e. dividing a circle in 360 equal parts), so there is no need of a proof".

musicgold said:
Just for the sake argument, if someone says to me : how can we assume that "a complete circle is 360 deg"? Can I say that, "it a system that we humans have designed (i.e. dividing a circle in 360 equal parts), so there is no need of a proof".

The fourth postulate of Euclid is "That all right angles are equal to one another."

1.XIII says "If a straight line stands on a straight line, then it makes either two right angles or angles whose sum equals two right angles."

http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/java/elements/bookI/propI13.html

Draw a semi circle. This figure has two right angles in it (because of the straight line, the diameter). Complete the circle, and the angles double, so four right angles. Convention is one right angle is 90 degrees, so a circle has 360 degrees.

That's not a rigorous proof, but you get the idea.

musicgold said:

What is your definition of an angle?

musicgold said:
This is a definition, as far as I'm concerned. Some humans long ago, the Babylonians I believe, decided to divide a circle in 360 equal parts. They could have decided to divide it into a different number of parts - the grad system divides a circle into 400 equal parts so that a quarter of the circle (a right angle) consists of 100 grads.

musicgold said:
You will note that this proof is based on the assumptions that angles on a straight line add to 180 degrees. But we have no proof of that fact.

As others have said, the basic assumption here is that the angles on a straight line always add up to the same amount. Whether you call it 180 degrees, 2 right angles, pi radians, or 200 grads isn't very important.

More interesting is the fact that the theorem is really about the properties of a plane. If you imagined that a "plane" was the curved surface of a sphere, the theorem isn't true. You can easily draw an "equilateral triangle" on a sphere where each of the 3 angles is 90 degrees. In fact the sum of the angles of a "spherical triangle" is related to the area of the triangle.

Euclid's version of the theorem is only true if Euclid's postulate (assumption) about parallel lines is true, and that is the key assumption that distinguishes Euclidiean from non-Euclidean geometry.

The fact that for people living on earth, triangles drawn on pieces of paper seem to be (approximately) consistent with the assumptions of Euclidean geometry, is a statement about physics, not about geometry.

1. What is the process of proving a theorem in geometry?

The process of proving a theorem in geometry involves using logical reasoning and mathematical principles to demonstrate that a statement is always true. This is typically done by starting with known definitions, axioms, and previously proven theorems, and using them to build a logical argument that leads to the desired conclusion.

2. Why is proving a theorem important in geometry?

Proving a theorem is important in geometry because it allows us to establish the truth of a statement and understand the underlying principles and relationships in a geometric system. It also allows us to build upon previously proven theorems to create new knowledge and solve more complex problems.

3. What are the different methods of proving a theorem in geometry?

The two main methods of proving a theorem in geometry are direct proof and proof by contradiction. In a direct proof, the statement is proven directly from known definitions, axioms, and theorems. In a proof by contradiction, the statement is proven by assuming its opposite and showing that this leads to a contradiction.

4. How can I improve my skills in proving theorems in geometry?

To improve your skills in proving theorems in geometry, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with key definitions, axioms, and theorems. You can also benefit from studying different proof techniques and understanding how to apply them in different situations.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when proving a theorem in geometry?

Some common mistakes to avoid when proving a theorem in geometry include assuming the statement is true without proper justification, using incorrect or incomplete definitions, and making logical errors in the proof. It is also important to carefully check your work and make sure all steps are clearly explained and supported by evidence.