Question about going in to RF engineering

In summary, Eddy1's friends who are RF engineers in the USA found that their degrees and experience were not as important as hard work and being driven. They recommend taking at least an active RF course and a transmission/reception course. They also recommend being familiar with analog electronics, power engineering, digital and analog communication protocols, and mathematics relating to RF.
zhangz64
Hi there, I am currently a second year electrical engineering student in Canada. I am thinking about get into the field of RF engineering for my next year of study. However, from i have heard online, I am having doubts about getting into this field.
Here are the doubts i have.

1: Does this field required a PHD to get a really good job in CANADA. I am planning to do Master , but not PHD.

2: What is job outlook for new graduates in RF hardware Engineering field?(compare to like digital electronic, power engineering) I will be doing a co-op this summer as a RF hardware designer. and mostly likely doing PEY next year, That would give me about 2 year experience in the field. I am having good GPA during school. How difficult for me get a job after graduation? I heard that Company is only hiring RF people with at least 8 years of experiences.

3: If i decide to go into this field, What knowledge is required to success in this field? in other word, what course should i take?

4: What kind of company is hiring for this position in CANADA.( I only know that company making phones are hiring RF engineer).

5: I am also interested in the area of power engineering, Is possible to switch from RF engineering to power engineering in the future.

Thanks ahead
Eddy

Physics news on Phys.org
1: Some of my friends were hired as entry level rf engineers in the us

2: If you get design experience as a co-op you most likely will not have a hard time finding a job. Your only issue might be your location constraint. I only know of 1 company that might do rf stuff in Canada (note i know very little about companies in Canada. i would recommend looking up bombardier.

3:take at a minimum an active rf course (rf amplification/active filtering), passive rf course (passive filtering), and a transmission/reception course (antennas). I would try to have some knowledge in general analog electronics, mathematics relating to rf, and digital and analog communication protocols, and power.

4: see problem 2

5: power and rf are closely related. just take classes in both fields.

Hi Eddy,

When you say RF engineer there is a big difference between RF board and system design and RFIC design. Both are decently strong in Canada. Besides phones a lot of other systems (from military and automotive radar to implantable medical systems) have need of various RF engineers. I used to do RFIC design (now I'm back to more mixed-signal design) so hopefully my experience can be helpful.

1. No, a Ph.D. is not required. A few jobs might require them but a typical job posting is for MS/Ph.D.

2. Who knows? It changes all the time. Your co-op as an RF hardware engineer is a BIG plus. If they like you (and you work very hard) you might get an offer from them. Many companies use the co-op program as a kind of long-term interview. Getting a job is always a challenge but a good GPA and a good co-op will help a lot. It is not true the companies are only hiring people with at least 8 years experience. Companies always hire a mix of employees to meet current and anticipated needs.

3. Obviously you need to know your technical stuff. Take all the courses you can in EM and RF engineering. If you are looking at RFIC design take every IC design course you can even if you don't think it will be relevant. Integrated devices are getting so fast that "RF" design is looking more and more like "baseband" design from the designer's perspective.

4. Lots of companies in Canada are hiring RF engineers. Most large electronics firms from the USA and Europe have offices in Canada, and Canada has a strong industry itself. Look beyond the phone to military and industrial applications.

5. Switching fields that are that far apart is tough.

Good luck!

There will always be many well paid jobs in power engineering which is a mature and well defined field. So study power engineering, but do what RF you can at the same time. You will be free to move around.

As RF is becoming more modular “plug and play”, less regional low level component design will be needed. I have seen power engineers employed by large engineering organisations, migrate within that organisation to the RF communications field, where their skills in both fields are needed. They do not need RF qualifications to do that, but they must have power engineering certification.

Dear Eddy,

Thank you for reaching out and expressing your doubts about pursuing RF engineering as your field of study. As a scientist in this field, I would be happy to provide some insights and address your questions.

1. While having a PhD can certainly open up more opportunities in any field, it is not a requirement for a successful career in RF engineering in Canada. Pursuing a Master's degree will still provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills to excel in this field. Additionally, companies also value hands-on experience and practical skills, so your co-op and PEY experience will be beneficial in securing a good job after graduation.

2. The job outlook for new graduates in RF hardware engineering is quite positive. With the increasing demand for wireless technologies and communication systems, there is a growing need for RF engineers. While it may be true that some companies prefer hiring candidates with more experience, your co-op and PEY experience will give you an advantage. It is also important to continue developing your skills and staying updated with the latest technologies in this field to stay competitive in the job market.

3. To succeed in RF engineering, you will need a strong foundation in electrical engineering, particularly in the areas of analog and digital circuits, electromagnetic theory, and signal processing. Courses in microwave engineering, RF circuit design, and communication systems will also be beneficial. Additionally, practical experience with RF design software and equipment will be valuable in your career.

4. RF engineering is a diverse field with job opportunities in various industries, not just limited to companies making phones. Companies in the telecommunications, aerospace, defense, and medical industries also hire RF engineers. It would be beneficial to research and explore different companies to understand their specific requirements and job opportunities in RF engineering.

5. It is possible to switch from RF engineering to power engineering in the future, as both fields have some overlap in terms of knowledge and skills. However, it may require some additional coursework or training to make the transition. It would be helpful to consult with your academic advisor or professionals in both fields to understand the necessary steps for such a switch.

Overall, RF engineering can be a rewarding and exciting field to pursue, with a positive job outlook and opportunities for growth. I would encourage you to continue exploring this field and gaining practical experience through your co-op and PEY. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

What is RF engineering?

RF engineering stands for radio frequency engineering, which is a field of electrical engineering that deals with the design, implementation, and maintenance of wireless communication systems that use radio frequency signals.

What does an RF engineer do?

An RF engineer designs and develops wireless communication systems, including antennas, transmitters, receivers, and other components. They also analyze and troubleshoot existing systems, conduct simulations and experiments, and ensure compliance with regulations and standards.

What skills are required for RF engineering?

RF engineers need to have a strong understanding of electronics, electromagnetics, and communication systems. They also need skills in programming, data analysis, and problem-solving. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important in this field.

What industries use RF engineering?

RF engineering is used in a variety of industries, including telecommunications, broadcasting, aerospace, defense, and medical technology. It is also essential for emerging technologies such as 5G, IoT, and autonomous vehicles.

What education is needed to become an RF engineer?

Most RF engineers have a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or a related field. Some employers may require a master's degree for advanced positions. Ongoing education and training are also important to keep up with advancements in technology and industry standards.