Strange optical phenomenon.

In summary, a long tube with a convex lens and a small hole produces a flowery pattern when light is shone through it. This pattern resembles petals and is caused by light scattering and diffraction. The presence of a smaller aperture, like a hole, is necessary for this pattern to form. This phenomenon is similar to lens flare in cameras, and it is possible to reproduce it with our eyes under certain conditions.
swaroop
I have a long tube (aout 30 cm) with a convex lens of diameter 7.5 cm on the one end and a small hole of diameter 2 cm on the other. When i shine a light through the hole and let it pass through the lens, i get a flowery pattern on the wall, looked very strange to me. There is a maxima in the center as expected, then dark for a little further and then patches of light all around the center that resemble petals.

Why is this pattern formed?
Note: This pattern does not appear to form without an apperture smaller than the lens, like a hole.

Science news on Phys.org
Seems like some kind of lens flare. Hard to tell. Can you post a picture?

Thanks for replying. Here's the pic:
jqhshx.jpg

After seeing the picture I still think it is some kind of lens flare.

Thanks, I thought this kind of thing only happened in cameras..

I'm new to these forums, and so far I find them very intriguing. Anyways, the following is to the best of my knowledge, feel free to correct me where I'm wrong. Cameras work just the same as our eyes do. They capture light at a certain moment to generate an image. Though, cameras have something our eyes don't-- Glass lenses as opposed to our organic lenses. This scenario presents a glass lens similar to that of a camera's external lens, with spacing, as in most professional cameras. Is it so crazy to think, then, that we can reproduce lens flare not with a camera, but with our eyes themselves? I think not, given proper conditions, as provided above.

I'd guess it's simply light scattering from small irregularities around the hole. An experiment you can do is to try to make the hole as smooth as possible and see what the pattern is.

light passing through a small hole to an big aperture, it gets scattered, a diffraction effect also takes place, by which you cam see the flowery shapes.

1. What causes strange optical phenomenon?

Strange optical phenomenon can be caused by a variety of factors, such as atmospheric conditions, light refraction, or even human perception. Some specific examples include mirages caused by hot air rising from the ground, or the appearance of multiple suns or moons due to light bending in the Earth's atmosphere.

2. Are strange optical phenomenon dangerous?

In most cases, strange optical phenomenon are harmless and do not pose any danger. However, it is important to exercise caution when driving or operating machinery if you encounter a strange optical phenomenon, as it can be distracting or disorienting.

3. Can strange optical phenomenon be predicted or forecasted?

While some optical phenomena, such as rainbows, can be predicted based on specific conditions, many strange optical phenomenon are difficult to forecast accurately. They are often unpredictable and can occur spontaneously.

4. Are there any cultural or historical significance to strange optical phenomenon?

Many cultures and societies have myths and legends surrounding strange optical phenomenon. For example, the Aurora Borealis, or Northern Lights, have been considered a spiritual or supernatural occurrence in many indigenous cultures.

5. How can I report or document a strange optical phenomenon?

If you witness a strange optical phenomenon, it is important to document it as accurately as possible. This can include taking photos or videos, noting the date, time, and location, and any other relevant details. You can also report the phenomenon to local scientific organizations or weather agencies for further investigation.