What does 'Peccavi' mean and why is it connected to the city of Scind?

• Thread starter Ben-CS
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation centers around a shared interest in linguistics and language. The participants discuss various examples, such as the similarity between the Dutch word for squirrel and the English word for acorn, and the ability to trace the roots of words back to their origins. Some mention learning new languages, such as Egyptian, and exploring the intricacies of sentence structure. The conversation also touches on the impact of language on thought and the difficulty of accurately expressing ideas in a different language. The discussion also includes a pun involving a British officer capturing an Indian city and a link to a page with interesting language facts.
Ben-CS
Say it with a capital "L"

Is anyone else here interested in Linguistics or Lexicography?

Biology news on Phys.org
It is not a hobby or something, but sometimes I sure run into funny things :) for years I have been calling a squirrel an 'eekhoorn' in Dutch, I started speaking english and learned that 'acorns' fall from the tree. I never made the connecting until a lucid moment while walking in a forrest when I realized that both words (eekhoorn-acorn) are pronounced EXACTLY the same way.. though spelled so differently, with a different meaning though so closely tight together.

I don't know if this is what you mean by linguistics or lexicography (you: ) so I would like you to give an example :)

Upon capturing an Indian city, a British officer wired back to England "peccavi!" (My Mother's favorite, true-to-life pun.)

Practicing all aspects of linguistics brings wonderful coincidences everyday, much like the squirrel example above. I understand somewhat foriegn languages I never studied in school, I can trace the etymology of most English words back to their Latinate or Germanic roots, conjure synonyms more readily, compose poetry like equations and explore the intricacies of sentence structure a la Chomski.

Langauge is as much a puzzle as physics.

I have always been interested in how language can shape our thoughts, and how ideas get translated into a language which will never be able to express those ideas as well as they are experienced in the first place. I'm not sure if this counts as linguistics though.

i'm reading a good book at the moment about synesthesia, hmm, have forgotten how that's spelt, anyway, it mentioned the phenomenon of losing the ability to communicate, usually after an accident or other traumatic event. it was quite hard to understand, these people just lose the ability to transform abstract ideas and emotions into a language. i think Ravel somehow got this condition, which is pretty devastating for a composer, he could still get ideas and inspiration just not be able to turn them into his 'language'; music.

Originally posted by Loren Booda
Upon capturing an Indian city, a British officer wired back to England "peccavi!" (My Mother's favorite, true-to-life pun.)

Forgive me, but I just don't get it. Could you please explain it to me?

Peccavi - confessing sin.. but I also don't get the pun..

The following page has some nice facts too: [Removed Broken Link]

Last edited by a moderator:
Peccavi = "I have sinned" = "I have Scind" - you had to know the name of the city.

1. What does "Say it with a capital L" mean?

"Say it with a capital L" is a phrase that is often used as a reminder to emphasize or emphasize something. It means to say something with extra emphasis or to really mean what you are saying.

2. Where did the phrase "Say it with a capital L" come from?

The origin of this phrase is unclear, but it is believed to have originated from the expression "say it with feeling" which was used in the early 20th century. Over time, the expression evolved to include the use of a capital letter to symbolize emphasis.

3. Can "Say it with a capital L" be used in a professional setting?

Yes, this phrase can be used in a professional setting, but it is important to use it appropriately and in the right context. It is often used in a playful or informal manner, so it may not be suitable in all professional situations.

4. Is there a specific way to say "Say it with a capital L"?

There is no specific way to say this phrase. It can be said with a serious tone or with a playful tone, depending on the context and the intention behind it. The important thing is to use it with the right emphasis to convey the intended meaning.

5. Can "Say it with a capital L" be used in written communication?

Yes, this phrase can be used in written communication, such as in emails or text messages. However, it is important to use it sparingly and in the appropriate context. It may not be suitable for formal written communication, such as in a professional report or academic paper.