English-Chinese Chinese-English English-English

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the search for an electronic dictionary that can do English-Chinese, Chinese-English, and English-English translations. The desired dictionary should also recognize the number of strokes and pin yin. One person recommends Dr. Eye, which is used in Taiwan and can do Chinese shorthand to Chinese complex and English to Chinese translations, but has strange translations. The conversation also mentions the possibility of an online translation website and the need for an English to English translation. The person is looking for a convenient way to check the meaning of words or characters when they don't have access to a computer, particularly for their arts subjects. They have a limited knowledge of Chinese characters.
pivoxa15
I am looking for an electronic dictionary that will do

English-Chinese
Chinese-English
English-English

Traslations. It should recognise the number of strokes as well as pin yin

Can anyone recommand me a value for money electronic dictionary that will do that?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Dr. Eye is used in Taiwan...(my mom uses this one)
it does chinese Shorthand to Chinese Complex(vice versa), and English to Chinese. It has very weird translations.

I haven't found a Chinese to english but i'll keep a look out. I do recall that there was an online translation...though i can't recall the name of the website. Don't know why you would need an english to english translation.

neurocomp2003 said:
Dr. Eye is used in Taiwan...(my mom uses this one)
it does chinese Shorthand to Chinese Complex(vice versa), and English to Chinese. It has very weird translations.

I haven't found a Chinese to english but i'll keep a look out. I do recall that there was an online translation...though i can't recall the name of the website. Don't know why you would need an english to english translation.

There are many online dictionaries but often I like to check for a word or character immediately and it often occurs when I cannot easily get access to a computer.

I do some arts subjects so it would be handy if I could check for a meaning of an english word immediately. Most likely I would not understand the chinese meaning of the english word because I only know about 500 chinese characters.

1. What is "English-Chinese Chinese-English English-English"?

"English-Chinese Chinese-English English-English" refers to a type of dictionary that includes translations between English and Chinese in both directions, as well as definitions and usage examples for English words.

2. How is this dictionary different from a regular English-Chinese or Chinese-English dictionary?

This dictionary includes translations in both directions, meaning you can look up a word in either English or Chinese and find its corresponding translation. It also often includes more detailed definitions and usage examples compared to a regular dictionary.

3. Who would benefit from using "English-Chinese Chinese-English English-English"?

This type of dictionary can be useful for anyone who wants to learn or improve their proficiency in both English and Chinese. It can be especially helpful for students, language learners, or individuals who frequently communicate or work with others who speak a different language.

4. Are there any online or digital versions of this dictionary available?

Yes, there are several online and digital versions of "English-Chinese Chinese-English English-English" dictionaries available. Some popular options include Pleco, Hanping Chinese Dictionary, and MDBG Chinese-English Dictionary.

5. How accurate are the translations in "English-Chinese Chinese-English English-English" dictionaries?

The accuracy of translations may vary depending on the specific dictionary and the complexity of the words being translated. However, most reputable dictionaries undergo regular updates and revisions to ensure accuracy and include multiple definitions and usage examples to provide a comprehensive understanding of the word's meaning.