Difference between people 'doing the wave', and a transverse wave?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between a stadium wave and a transverse wave. The main difference is that in a stadium wave, the people's positions do not oscillate harmonically, whereas in a physical transverse wave, the particles must be connected and have a restoring force in order for the wave to continue. It is also mentioned that the speed of a stadium wave is dependent on the people's actions, while the speed of a transverse wave is determined by the properties of the medium. The conversation also touches on the concept of a Mexican wave, which is another term for a stadium wave.
Byrgg
I don't have my textbook any more, but I remember a question in there about this. I think it asked for the difference between people in a stadium 'doing the wave', and a real transverse wave. I couldn't really think of why they're different. I mean they're pretty similar, right? The people 'doing the wave' stand up and sit down, simulating the effects of molecules moving up and down in a transverse wave. What's the difference though?

Could someone help soon please? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I know that in a real wave, all of the particles are connected. In a stadium, if a group of people doesn't stand up, the wave can keep going. In a physical transverse wave, not only is it impossible for a section of the wave to just stop (Unless a force is stopping it), the wave couldn't continue on without those particles. That leads into the fact that no energy is transferred either.

That's just my guess, though. I can't think of any other reason.

Ateowa said:
Well, I know that in a real wave, all of the particles are connected. In a stadium, if a group of people doesn't stand up, the wave can keep going. In a physical transverse wave, not only is it impossible for a section of the wave to just stop (Unless a force is stopping it), the wave couldn't continue on without those particles. That leads into the fact that no energy is transferred either.

This isn't true, a sound wave is a perfect example, sound is a longitudinal wave that is transmitted by the particles in air, if there is a place where the density of these particles is smaller than another point then not all of the wave can be transmitted without some loss of quality of the sound, also note that none of these particles are connected to any of the others.

d_leet said:
This isn't true, a sound wave is a perfect example, sound is a longitudinal wave that is transmitted by the particles in air, if there is a place where the density of these particles is smaller than another point then not all of the wave can be transmitted without some loss of quality of the sound, also note that none of these particles are connected to any of the others.
But the question is specifically about transverse waves. It is true that of there is no restoring transverse force between adjacent particles, there can't be any transverse wave. For example, there is no transverse wave inside a liquid (I am not talking about at the surface but within th ebulk of the liquid)

nrqed said:
But the question is specifically about transverse waves. It is true that of there is no restoring transverse force between adjacent particles, there can't be any transverse wave. For example, there is no transverse wave inside a liquid (I am not talking about at the surface but within th ebulk of the liquid)

That makes sense, sorry I guess I just didn't notice the transverse wave part, thanks for correcting me.

Ateowa said:

So you're saying that because the 'doing the wave' can continue without a few people, the two are different? I think I see that, but can anyone think of anything else?

fwiw, lovel animations here: http://www.kettering.edu/~drussell/Demos/waves/wavemotion.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Byrgg said:
So you're saying that because the 'doing the wave' can continue without a few people, the two are different? I think I see that, but can anyone think of anything else?
I think an important point is that a transverse wave of people can go ta any speed. If people decide to move up and down faster, the wave will propagate faster. The speed is up to what people decide to do.
In a real medium, the speed is fixed by the property of the medium and of the restoring force so for a fixed medium, one cannot change the speed (for example for a transverse wave on a string, the speed is [itex] {\sqrt{ {T \over \mu} }} [/itex].

Just a thought..

Patrick

Oh, I see, that makes sense too. Anyone have any other ideas? Keep in mind it's only gr.11, so I don't don't think anything too complicated would be involved, the examples so far have been pretty good.

A big difference is that the people's positions do not oscillate simple harmonically . For eg, the person gets up for only a brief instant as the wave crosses him, and then sits down for some period until the wave comes back to him after traversing the stadium once. I guess in the real world sense, it is more of a pulse than a wave.There is no actual source of "disturbance" either .
Of course, if the stadium were really small and the spectators really quick, you could simulate a wave, but no one would call that a Mexican wave .

Last edited:
Mexican wave? What's that?

It's the same as an audience wave.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_wave"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between people 'doing the wave' and a transverse wave?

People 'doing the wave' is a human-created motion where individuals in a crowd stand up and sit down in succession, creating a wave-like motion. A transverse wave, on the other hand, is a type of mechanical wave that moves perpendicular to the direction of its oscillations.

2. How are people 'doing the wave' and a transverse wave similar?

Both people 'doing the wave' and a transverse wave involve a wave-like motion. In both cases, energy is transferred from one point to another without any actual matter being transported.

3. Why do people 'do the wave' during sporting events?

People often 'do the wave' during sporting events as a way to show support and enthusiasm for their team. It can also create a sense of unity and excitement among the crowd.

4. Can people 'do the wave' in any direction?

Yes, people can 'do the wave' in any direction, as long as the individuals in the crowd are coordinated and follow the appropriate timing and direction.

5. How does a transverse wave differ from other types of waves?

A transverse wave differs from other types of waves, such as longitudinal waves, in the direction of its oscillations. In a transverse wave, the oscillations are perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation, while in a longitudinal wave, the oscillations are parallel to the direction of wave propagation.