Helicopter Parenting Effect on University Education

• Thread starter J77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Helicopter
In summary: Enough about me.In summary, Parents meddling in student life is a new phenomena in the UK since the introduction of fees. Parents there are hoping that their money will buy their children a good education, but some schools are turning into factories. Americans get something other than education with their tax money.
J77
Parents meddling in student life

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4777053.stm

It's likely to be a new phenomena in the UK since the introduction of fees - and a lot of parents paying for their kids to go to uni.

For you US people, is it a common practice, if a parent pays for their kid's education, that they want to know the ins and outs of it and the uni set-up?

From a personal point of view, I don't like it.

I didn't like the introduction of fees, not only because of the financial burden that people from poorer backgrounds would find hard to bear but also because of stuff like this.
Parents and kids expecting something extra because they're paying some money.

I hope it doesn't turn universities into factories, where kids are taught stuff to pass exams - like schools are turning into. Universities should be about finding ones own path in a given subject - even if the weak students fail - not about paying for a degree.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've seen this happen at my school. At the school's orientation for first year students, when asked what the student will be majoring in, the parents typical response is "We're majoring in ...".

Of course. If parents pay out $130,000 in tuition for their kid's education they're going to want to know what's going on. And even if there's a scholarship or such and the parent's don't pay, the competition is strong enough that the parents want to make sure that their kid is getting a good education where they are.

Personally, I don't see what's so wrong about it. Sure there are a few extreme cases/horror stories of parents getting too involved, but for the most part, it's the school's problem with the "helicopter" part, not the parent's.

FYI, my parents don't get involved with my academics/classes at all, really. I handle most of everything myself.

There are good parents, and there are bad parents. Paying a fee doesn't necessarily turn one into the other.

- Warren

chroot said:
There are good parents, and there are bad parents. Paying a fee doesn't necessarily turn one into the other.

- Warren

Good point.

Also, I agree with schools simply becoming factories.

I think it would be wise to chime in here that american universities have been requireing fees since their inception. With a top grade school costing around 30-50 thousand dollars for tuition alone (not including room and board)

So quit your belly-aching about having to pay for school

CPL.Luke said:
I think it would be wise to chime in here that american universities have been requireing fees since their inception. With a top grade school costing around 30-50 thousand dollars for tuition alone (not including room and board)

So quit your belly-aching about having to pay for school

Um... he lives in a different country. He's probably paying a good amount of taxes to take care of that.

Unfortunately, Americans get something other than education with their tax money. If we took that away from you (whatever that may be), you'd be complaining about it and then he or I, would tell you that we've been paying since the begging so stop complaining.

It's not as simple as saying stop complaining. We pay for it already.

JasonRox said:

Yeah, right. In the taxes thread the first two Canadians, including you, claimed they were paying only about 22% tax. I live in the US, and I pay almost double that -- and I still don't have free schooling or healthcare.

- Warren

darn billion dollar a day defense budget
jasonrox said:

that last bit was a joke.
[/threadhijack]

but the opening post asked if it was common for american parents to interfere in their childrens education if they were paying for it, and I was trying to point out that in america everyone's parents put in some amount of money for school. and thus that doesn't contribute to helicopter parenting in american schools, the big tihng that does contribute to it though is that in america there is definatly a perception that everyone should go to college, and if you don't then your somehow inferior. Beyond that its somehow perceived that if you don't get into a good school then your going to be a failure in life. Its that pressure (which primarily comes from the parents) that leads to helicopter parenting.

chroot said:
Yeah, right. In the taxes thread the first two Canadians, including you, claimed they were paying only about 22% tax. I live in the US, and I pay almost double that -- and I still don't have free schooling or healthcare.

- Warren

Um... that's only Federal Tax. That's not including Provincial and Municipal taxes.

Um... I'm also in the LOWEST tax bracket.

Also, a student too.

People normally pay 40-50% if you make a good wage.

We're aware that the tax bracket you're in IS NOT THE AMOUNT OF TAX YOU PAY, right?

The top tax rate in the UK is (I believe) 44%, but the total tax proportion scales to a maximum of about 35% at an income of £50,000. When people talk about their tax brackets, it becomes extremely misleading. In other words, I find it very hard to believe that rich Canadians give up 50% of their income to the government.

That's essentially what happens in Australia (well, 49% or so). There are ways around it, of course, but basic income tax is at 49 cents in the dollar for the top bracket. That doesn't include fringe benefits tax, capital gains, GST...admittedly, for this we get a two-tier educational system in which the government pays about half of most people's "tuition" fees and provides an interest-free loan for the rest of the money, with a minority of students paying full fees upfront. We also get decent free health services. ;)

Back on topic, it does happen here quite a bit because the educational system is set up differently to the US. Most people here don't move into dorms or move interstate for universities; a very large number continue living with their parents or find shared accommodation nearby their university, remaining at a close distance to their parents instead of moving to a different city. Many unis here have parent information nights for prospective students, but encourage the idea that they have to "let go" a bit and allow their kids to be independent.

1. What is helicopter parenting?

Helicopter parenting refers to a style of parenting where parents are highly involved in their child's life, often to the point of micromanaging and controlling their decisions and actions.

2. How does helicopter parenting affect university education?

Helicopter parenting can have both positive and negative effects on university education. On one hand, it can lead to high academic achievement as parents are highly involved and push their children to succeed. However, it can also hinder a student's independence and ability to make decisions on their own, leading to difficulties in adapting to the challenges of university life.

3. Are there any studies on the effects of helicopter parenting on university education?

Yes, there have been numerous studies on the effects of helicopter parenting on university education. These studies have found that helicopter parenting can lead to increased anxiety and stress in students, as well as a decrease in their self-esteem and motivation.

4. Can helicopter parenting have long-term effects on a student's success in life?

There is evidence to suggest that helicopter parenting can have long-term effects on a student's success in life. It can lead to a lack of independence and decision-making skills, as well as difficulties in handling failure and adversity. It can also create a sense of entitlement and dependency on their parents, which can negatively impact their future relationships and career success.

5. How can universities address the issue of helicopter parenting?

Universities can address the issue of helicopter parenting by providing resources and support for students to develop their independence and decision-making skills. They can also educate parents on the importance of allowing their children to make their own choices and mistakes, and the negative effects of being overly involved in their academic and personal lives.