Is the transformation matrix correct?

In summary, we have a problem involving determining a transformation matrix [a] that takes cartesian components to hyperbolic components. The matrix is given by a_ij = dx'_ij/dx_ij, where dx'/dx are partial derivatives and x' corresponds to u,v,z. After dividing the first two rows by 2, we can see that [a][a]^T = [1], which can only equal the identity if x^2+y^2=1. The individual values of the matrix [a][a]^T are (x^2+y^2), 0, 0, 0, (x^2+y^2), 0, 0, 0, 1.
matpo39
I am not really sure if I am doing this problem correctly if you could point out any errors that would be great.

The problem: The coordinates of a hyperbolic system (u,v,z) are related to a set of cartesian coordinates (x,y,z) by the equations

u=x^2-y^2
v=2xy
z=z
Determine the transformation matrix [a] that takes the cartesian componets of a vector to the hyperbolic components.

What I did:
the transformation matrix is given by a_ij = dx'_ij/dx_ij, where dx'/dx are partial derivatives and x' corresponds to u,v,z.

giving a matrix of | 2x -2y 0 | | x -y 0|
| y x 0 | = |y x 0|
|0 0 1 | |0 0 1 |
After dividing first two rows by 2.

I know that [a][a]^T = [1]
for [a][a]^T = | ( x^2+y^2) 0 0 |
| |
| 0 (x^2+y^2) 0|
| |
| 0 0 1|

which can only equal the identity if x^2+y^2=1
I was wandering if this looks ok
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry [a][a]^T is a little hard to read. My comp. for some reason doesn't like to work with latex.

for [a][a]^T i got

(x^2+y^2) 0 0
0 (x^2+y^2) 0
0 0 1

1. What is a hyperbolic matrix transform?

A hyperbolic matrix transform is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying a matrix by a hyperbolic function. This results in a new matrix with modified values. It is often used in linear algebra and geometry to perform transformations on objects such as points, lines, and shapes.

2. How does a hyperbolic matrix transform differ from a regular matrix transformation?

A hyperbolic matrix transform is different from a regular matrix transformation in that it uses a hyperbolic function instead of a linear function. This means that the resulting transformation will have a curved or "hyperbolic" effect, rather than a linear one.

3. What are some applications of hyperbolic matrix transforms?

Hyperbolic matrix transforms have various applications in mathematics, physics, and computer graphics. They are used to model and manipulate objects in 3D space, such as in computer animation and video games. They are also used in the study of fractals and chaotic systems, as well as in engineering for signal processing and control systems.

4. Can a hyperbolic matrix transform be represented visually?

Yes, a hyperbolic matrix transform can be represented visually through a graph or diagram. This can help to understand how the matrix is being transformed and the resulting changes to the object being transformed.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using hyperbolic matrix transforms?

One limitation of hyperbolic matrix transforms is that they can be computationally expensive, especially for large matrices. Additionally, they may not always produce visually appealing or realistic results, depending on the specific application and parameters used.